Thread: Helicopter Crashes into East River

All League

Helicopter Crashes into East River

Just saw it on NY1

Copter is submerged.

4 on board. 3 rescued- 2 in SEVERELY Critical condition. By East 34th St.

[url]http://gothamist.com/2005/06/14/east_river_helicopter_crash.php[/url]
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 10-04-2011 at 03:44 PM.

One simple rule: Unless you are in the armed forces, never get into a helicopter.

All League
    My flight instructor once told me "Flying a helicopter is like trying to balance a marble on your pecker.".

[SIZE="1"]Not sure how that relates to this thread.[/SIZE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Big L;4175161]My flight instructor once told me "Flying a helicopter is like trying to balance a marble on your pecker.".
    [/QUOTE]
    pics or gtfo

[QUOTE=Big L;4175161]
    [SIZE="1"]Not sure how that relates to this thread.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"] oh it relates...it's the hampuer[/SIZE]

All League
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;4175094]Just saw it on NY1

Copter is submerged.

4 on board. 3 rescued- 2 in SEVERELY Critical condition. By East 34th St.

[url]http://gothamist.com/2005/06/14/east_river_helicopter_crash.php[/url][/QUOTE]

I was just flying down south shore yesterday....unbelievable [IMG]http://twitter.com/#!/MattyB3288/status/121321359568670720/photo/1[/IMG]

All League
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4175143]One simple rule: Unless you are in the armed forces, never get into a helicopter.[/QUOTE]

It is just as safe as a plane. People just get themselves into trouble because of inexperience

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Jeebus...was that the pilot doing the backstroke back to the pier while his passengers clung to the sinking ship?:rolleyes:

The dude hanging onto the chopper seemed to be trying to hold onto a partially submerged body.

Very sad. Dont know why ship-flotation isnt required for craft that operate next to the water like that, its not like there hasnt been ridiculous amount of precedent right there near 34th st.

[QUOTE=ArmyJet;4175199]It is just as safe as a plane. People just get themselves into trouble because of inexperience[/QUOTE]

I'll defer to your knowledge, but don't believe it. Those sight seeing helicopters always seem to have problems. And isn't the helicopter inherently unstable?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=ArmyJet;4175199]It is just as safe as a plane. People just get themselves into trouble because of inexperience[/QUOTE]

Are there many/any recreational helicopter pilots? It would seem to me that the vast majority of people flying helicopters would be professionals who have substantial experience.

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4175388]Are there many/any recreational helicopter pilots? It would seem to me that the vast majority of people flying helicopters would be professionals who have substantial experience.[/QUOTE]

There are recreational helicopter pilots just as there are recreational fixed wing pilots. Just an unfortunate circumstance. Helicopters are most vulnerable at low airspeeds or at a hover because if you have a mechanical failure its very hard to recover from.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretty bad aim. The Wall St. protests are a little west of there, bro.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4175143]One simple rule: Unless you are in the armed forces, never get into a helicopter.[/QUOTE]

The last time I was in Vegas I was very close ot booking a Grand Canyon helicopter tour, and I really wanted to do it... but I kept imagining headlines in the Daily News the next day; "Local Killed in Canyon Copter Crash"

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4175463]Pretty bad aim. The Wall St. protests are a little west of there, bro.[/QUOTE]

Too soon?

At least wait for the body count to be confirmed. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    WHY DOES THE LINK SAY 2005?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Peebag;4175511]WHY DOES THE LINK SAY 2005?[/QUOTE]

Wow..good catch. Wrong article, wrong event.:rolleyes:

Never clicked on it because of the live News coverage.