Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrels And Chipmunks: Can I Kill Them?

Squirrels And Chipmunks: Can I Kill Them?

They're all over the place here in Bergen County, getting our trash, gnawing at our flower-beds. I'm good with the rabbits as my daughter thinks they're cute, but the squirrels and chipmunks have to go.

Are there laws against harming them or am I free to have them killed?

SAR I

All League
    Same as rats, kill away.

What will be your preferred method of deposing them?

[QUOTE=gunnails;4179900]Same as rats, kill away.

What will be your preferred method of deposing them?[/QUOTE]

Was going to ask that next.

I want to kill as many as possible as quickly as possible. About six squirrels and maybe a dozen chipmunks. If it kills the rabbits too, it's collateral damage I'm willing to accept.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4179906]Was going to ask that next.

I want to kill as many as possible as quickly as possible. About six squirrels and maybe a dozen chipmunks. If it kills the rabbits too, it's collateral damage I'm willing to accept.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Store them inside your Kenmore freezer and eat them later.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    In Jersey anything is legal just as long as you don't get caught.

Jets Insider VIP
    A good dog would be happy to do it for you, with minimal effort on your part.

Of course, since canines are anathema to you, there is little else that can be done aside from you investing time and money into the following:

Poison/traps
    Small caliber rifle
    An exterminator
    Calling 32 Green

I use the D-Con rat/mice poison near my fire wood pile. The squirrels have now taken a liking to it. Oh well. And it is ILLEGAL to kill them in N.J.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/jj2uyt.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by GMCJETS; 10-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.

All League
    Last I checked, you're allowed to kill squirrels and chipmunks in NJ.

You can use:

traps (then drown them or release them in the woods)
    poison (be careful if you have a dog or neighbor's dogs frequent your yard)
    cayenne pepper (sprinkle it on places you want them to stay away from)

You cannot use:

Any kind of firearm including a pellet gun. (I think you can use a BB gun, but that they're ineffective).

[QUOTE=SAR I;4179899]They're all over the place here in Bergen County, getting our trash, gnawing at our flower-beds. I'm good with the rabbits as my daughter thinks they're cute, but the squirrels and chipmunks have to go.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Are you on LSD? I've never heard anybody complain about the squirrels and they are everywhere, as you say, in NJ. They are harmless. If they are getting in your trash, I'm guessing you don't put your trash in a trash can like everyone else does. If they are going in your garden, it could be because you have mulch down. They don't do anything to flowers/plants generally.

I was just in your neighborhood this morning. I would have released more squirrels on your lawn if I read this earlier.

what came first the home or the chipmunks?

You invaded their world, not the other way around, Broseph.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4179899]They're all over the place here in Bergen County, getting our trash, gnawing at our flower-beds. I'm good with the rabbits as my daughter thinks they're cute, but the squirrels and chipmunks have to go.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I would imagine you had worse animals to deal with up in Maine or NH, it doesn't matter what you do, the deer willl destroy everything. And you cant kill them where you live...

All League
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4180070]I would imagine you had worse animals to deal with up in Maine or NH, it doesn't matter what you do, the deer willl destroy everything. And you cant kill them where you live...[/QUOTE]

===========================================

You can kill the deer, just say they were attacking your children and you had to defend them.

Of course you would have to get your children on board with the plan.

All League
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4179990]Are you on LSD? I've never heard anybody complain about the squirrels and they are everywhere, as you say, in NJ. They are harmless. If they are getting in your trash, I'm guessing you don't put your trash in a trash can like everyone else does. If they are going in your garden, it could be because you have mulch down. They don't do anything to flowers/plants generally.

I was just in your neighborhood this morning.[B] I would have released more squirrels on your lawn[/B] if I read this earlier.[/QUOTE]

===========================================

How many squirrels do you typically carry with you?

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4179990]Are you on LSD? I've never heard anybody complain about the squirrels and they are everywhere, as you say, in NJ. They are harmless. If they are getting in your trash, I'm guessing you don't put your trash in a trash can like everyone else does. If they are going in your garden, it could be because you have mulch down. They don't do anything to flowers/plants generally.

I was just in your neighborhood this morning. I would have released more squirrels on your lawn if I read this earlier.[/QUOTE]

Listen, I was asking a yes/no question. I'm not looking for judgement. Looks like I can kill the squirrels and chipmunks. So I will.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4179916]In Jersey anything is legal just as long as you don't get caught.[/QUOTE]

Nice TW reference!!

[U]Havahart[/U]-Live Animal Traps
    Remove unwanted critters the most humane way with a Havahart® live animal trap. Havahart has been the leading manufacturer of humane live animal traps for over 60 years.

Oh....and [U]if[/U] by posting this stupid thread you were looking for approval to shoot them...you're an A$$hole.

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4180109][U]Havahart[/U]-Live Animal Traps
    Remove unwanted critters the most humane way with a Havahart® live animal trap. Havahart has been the leading manufacturer of humane live animal traps for over 60 years.[/QUOTE]

Not interested in doing extra work just to save the lives of a few animals. Poison it is.

SAR I

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4180110]Oh....and [U]if[/U] by posting this stupid thread you were looking for approval to shoot them...you're an A$$hole.[/QUOTE]

Not looking for anyone's approval or judgememt. Searched Google, couldn't find the answer, was hoping a few JI members would know the NJ law on squirrel and chipmunk genocide.

I don't appreciate the name calling.

SAR I