Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Squirrels And Chipmunks: Can I Kill Them?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try the deterrence first:

get one alive, nail it to the fence, and kill horribly. the others will see this and take off.

or maybe eat the dead one. I'm not sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4179899]They're all over the place here in Bergen County, getting our trash, gnawing at our flower-beds. I'm good with the rabbits as my daughter thinks they're cute, but the squirrels and chipmunks have to go.

Are there laws against harming them or am I free to have them killed?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

We have tons of chipmunks. Here is a fun and easy way to eliminate these nuissances:

Get a big bucket and fill it half way with water. Set up a 2 x 4 plank from the ground to the edge of the bucket. Crumble crackers or some other tasty snack on the plank and drop nuts or some other snack into the bucket.

They will literally walk the plank and drown themselves. Your wife and kids will love it! :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4180218]For a tried and true old fashion method of chipmunk eradication try this:

Fill a 5 gallon bucket up 1/3rd with water. Pour in just enough sunflower seeds until water surface is covered with the floating seeds. Take a small plank and put across top of bucket- sprinkle sunflower seeds on plank and around bucket.

Alvin and his friends will eat the seeds on the board, look down and think the bucket is full of seeds. When they jump into the bucket their raisin brains will realize that it was a trap before drowning.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SAR I;4180224]Excellent.

What I like about this plan is that a) it's inexpensive, b) it addresses the ease-of-disposal issue, and c) it gives me a nice modicum of vengeance with it's "gotcha" moment.

Thanks so much.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

whoops. I didn't see this until after I posted. Yup. It works very well for chipmonks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4185985]whoops. I didn't see this until after I posted. Yup. It works very well for chipmonks.[/QUOTE]

Wait. So Mr. Deathbucket will kill both the quirrels [I]and[/I] the monks?

Sweet.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4186403]Wait. So Mr. Deathbucket will kill both the quirrels [I]and[/I] the monks?

Sweet.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

use a garbage can, you can fit more at once...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4186405]use a garbage can, you can fit more at once...[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's the plan. And there's a local ASPCA right near a large sewer drain, so I'm going to get someone with a Ford F150 pickup kinda thing to drive it there, tip it over, and take off.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4186590]Yup, that's the plan. And there's a local ASPCA right near a large sewer drain, so I'm going to get someone with a Ford F150 pickup kinda thing to drive it there, tip it over, and take off.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

A Ford Edge would work better. :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4180081]===========================================

How many squirrels do you typically carry with you?[/QUOTE]

Thank you Gunnails for that . . . I laughed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Brooklyn squirrels do battle with home owners and they usually win. I have an acquaintance who traps them and lets them go in Manhattan as he has read they don't cross bridges. Seemingly the little buggers have a great homing device and will find their way home over a couple of miles unless large bodies of water are involved.

My experience is they dig up my root vegetables, destroy any bird feeder not made of metal and eat my tomatoes . . . the little sweet deep-fried rodents. I am not a fan of killing animals but many members of the rodent family apart from rabbits I don't feel the same affinity for.

Poison however is a slow cruel death. I have unfortunately watched many dogs (collateral damage in the rodent war) brought to my father's surgery, suffer needlessly. As violent as kill traps are, they seem the more humane option to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got a skunk problem in my neighborhood, Poor JEThro has been been skunked 3 times in the last year and a half.

And although I have found a great method for removing the stink from what a skunk may it spray, I'm thinking I need to get proactive.

Just not sure of the best way to go about it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;4186669]Here in Brooklyn squirrels do battle with home owners and they usually win. I have an acquaintance who traps them and lets them go in Manhattan as he has read they don't cross bridges. Seemingly the little buggers have a great homing device and will find their way home over a couple of miles unless large bodies of water are involved.

My experience is they dig up my root vegetables, destroy any bird feeder not made of metal and eat my tomatoes . . . the little sweet deep-fried rodents. I am not a fan of killing animals but many members of the rodent family apart from rabbits I don't feel the same affinity for.

Poison however is a slow cruel death. I have unfortunately watched many dogs (collateral damage in the rodent war) brought to my father's surgery, suffer needlessly. As violent as kill traps are, they seem the more humane option to me.[/QUOTE]

This is true my old neighbor used to trap them, paint there tails flourescent green then release them miles away only to see them return.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;4186669]

Poison however is a slow cruel death. I have unfortunately watched many dogs (collateral damage in the rodent war) brought to my father's surgery, suffer needlessly.[/QUOTE]

The neighbor's disgusting dog is the one thing giving me second-thoughts about Mr. Deathbucket. When a dog is accidentally poisoned in this manner, the cops don't do an investigation, right?

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4186893]The neighbor's disgusting dog is the one thing giving me second-thoughts about Mr. Deathbucket. When a dog is accidentally poisoned in this manner, the cops don't do an investigation, right?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I don't think so but buy with cash in a store with no video camera, wear gloves, burn receipts . . . h'mm, am I leaving anything out ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4186893]The neighbor's disgusting dog is the one thing giving me second-thoughts about Mr. Deathbucket. When a dog is accidentally poisoned in this manner, the cops don't do an investigation, right?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

is there poison in the Deathbucket scenario?

besides, i don't think dogs are typically attracted by the scent of sunflower seeds, and most breeds should be able to escape if they were to fall in a bucket of water.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4186701]And although I have found a great method for removing the stink from what a skunk may it spray, I'm thinking I need to get proactive.[/QUOTE]

Whats your method for getting the stink out? I hate those ****ing skunks.

My dumb neighbors dog got sprayed at least three times within the last year, and he hasnt done anything about it. To avoid my Shepherd meeting the same fate, I got a hav-a-hart trap, caught one within 2 days using sardines as bait, threw a sheet over it to block the inevitable spray, and relocated it what I hope was a safe distance.

Of course, this week, we had a close call with another one, so out goes the trap again.

After reading this thread, Im thinking a water filled pit covered with brush, baited, might be a better option. Then just backfill the hole. Poison's definately not an option, not for moral reasons, but for collateral damage (dogs) and for the fact they'll probably crawl under the deck to die (the skunks) and smell of rot and skunk stink forever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4187786]most breeds should be able to escape if they were to fall in a bucket of water.[/QUOTE]

The only ones that couldnt escape are the small yapping ones, which is probably good anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And...

Go!

[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/heck_pats_1010121.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Brooklyn Jet;4187908]The only ones that couldnt escape are the small yapping ones, which is probably good anyway.[/QUOTE]

lol, true.

i love dogs, but if a dog can't escape a bucket of water, it doesn't deserve to be called a dog :yes: