Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA lockout

NBA lockout

Is it me or does no one really seem to care about the NBA? I understand we are all huge football fans here, but it seemed that during the NFL lockout the whole sports world was hanging on every press leak, meeting, etc..

I'm a Knicks season ticket holder, and to be honest. I hope they cancel the whole season...could use the money back.

Hall Of Fame
    The NBA is a joke.

Hope they cancel the season, just so we dont have to hear about it.

it doesn't matter. After the Super Bowl, NCAA will be in the stretch run. NBA will be missed in May and June but that's about it.

DWC jinxed it

Hall Of Fame
    I see a little silhouette of a man

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I see a little silhouette of a man

relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8yE...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by fivewide View Post
    Is it me or does no one really seem to care about the NBA? I understand we are all huge football fans here, but it seemed that during the NFL lockout the whole sports world was hanging on every press leak, meeting, etc..

I'm a Knicks season ticket holder, and to be honest. I hope they cancel the whole season...could use the money back.
    I love the NBA, but even the most hardcore fans know how irrelevant the first few months are. The first several months are about avoiding injuries, figuring out who you are, and positioning. The season kicks into gear after the all-star break, then the playoffs are like a 2nd season, which conveniently starts right after the Super Bowl.

I'm not going to worry too much until the calendar turns to 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I love the NBA, but even the most hardcore fans know how irrelevant the first few months are. The first several months are about avoiding injuries, figuring out who you are, and positioning. The season kicks into gear after the all-star break, then the playoffs are like a 2nd season, which conveniently starts right after the Super Bowl.

I'm not going to worry too much until the calendar turns to 2012.
    The NBA season should start its season in January with the Finals ending early August instead of June. End the WNBA. November is way too early it's in the middle of the NFL season. Yes January is during the NFL playoffs but the following month February there is nothing going on in sports. In the summer months the only competition is baseball and as hard as it is for NY-area baseball addicts to understand most of the country doesn't care about MLB as much as the Northeast.

I'm hoping the NBA goes to a shortened schedule for this season. Around 50 games. Reason being it would benefit the Knicks who have a veteran squad and Billups is the key to the team but he's old and would be more likely to survive a shortened season rather than 82 game schedule. 50 game schedule benefited the Knicks in 1999 when they had a veteran roster and went to the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    The NBA season should start its season in January with the Finals ending early August instead of June. End the WNBA. November is way too early it's in the middle of the NFL season. Yes January is during the NFL playoffs but the following month February there is nothing going on in sports. In the summer months the only competition is baseball and as hard as it is for NY-area baseball addicts to understand most of the country doesn't care about MLB as much as the Northeast.

I'm hoping the NBA goes to a shortened schedule for this season. Around 50 games. Reason being it would benefit the Knicks who have a veteran squad and Billups is the key to the team but he's old and would be more likely to survive a shortened season rather than 82 game schedule. 50 game schedule benefited the Knicks in 1999 when they had a veteran roster and went to the Finals.
    I just think they are all playing a very dangerous game...there will be many marginal fans turned off..couple that with a terrible economy and increased ticket prices and it could wind up becoming a major problem for the NBA

As a former NETS fan where the NBA did nothing to stop them from leaving NJ, I could care less if the sport ever returns. I'd rather watch the WNBA or womans NCAA ball at this point. You can roote for divas like Kobe or James all you want but there are no real heros in BBall IMO. I still love Kidd and Duncan but they are past their primes. There just is no poster boy and they have no respect for their fan apparently. Yes this is a bitter NETS fan talking so take it as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    As a former NETS fan where the NBA did nothing to stop them from leaving NJ, I could care less if the sport ever returns. I'd rather watch the WNBA or womans NCAA ball at this point. You can roote for divas like Kobe or James all you want but there are no real heros in BBall IMO. I still love Kidd and Duncan but they are past their primes. There just is no poster boy and they have no respect for their fan apparently. Yes this is a bitter NETS fan talking so take it as you will.
    I hear you. Add that to bitter kicks fans who hate what Dolan has done. Bitter NBA fans who get nauseous at that ego show in Florida. Now mix in millionaires fighting billionaires and you have a major sh&tstorm.

NBA lockout

Couldn't happen to a better sport and a better bunch of people

/end thread

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If this lockout happened 4 years ago, I couldn't have cared less.

But I returned to caring about the Knicks again last season and enjoyed it. The quality of player is so much superior to the college game. And I liked having games to watch in the winter.

So, count me as someone who would like to the league not miss the season.

A Dec 15 start on a truncated season would be perfect. Regular season would be very meaningful.

What's the N.B.A.? Do they have a vaccine for it?

What's the NBA? Do they have a vaccine for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Well maybe if people in NJ actually showed up to Nets games the NBA would have done something to stop them from moving.

As far as heroes Dirk Nowitzki is a great guy and he just won a title. I know I'm a biased Knicks fan but you have to admire Amare for taking a risk and signing with the Knicks and having to perform on the biggest stage in the world with a team that has been awful last 10 years - something Lebron, Wade and Bosh didn't have the balls to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

But I returned to caring about the Knicks again last season and enjoyed it. The quality of player is so much superior to the college game. And I liked having games to watch in the winter.

A Dec 15 start on a truncated season would be perfect. Regular season would be very meaningful.
    +1

A shortened season that is between 50-65 games would be just what the dr ordered.

Well maybe if people in NJ actually showed up to Nets games the NBA would have done something to stop them from moving.

As far as heroes Dirk Nowitzki is a great guy and he just won a title. I know I'm a biased Knicks fan but you have to admire Amare for taking a risk and signing with the Knicks and having to perform on the biggest stage in the world with a team that has been awful last 10 years - something Lebron, Wade and Bosh didn't have the balls to do.
    You gotta be kidding? The Knicks as an organization are a bad joke.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

+1, I agree with that.

On the other hand, I've been watching MSG's 1994 Road to the Finals every Wednesday night. What a game professional basketball used to be. Night and day compared to today.

On a minor note, the first thing you notice is the tattoos, or the absence thereof. I was watching a game between the Knicks and the Bulls and the only guy on the court with a tattoo was Toni Kukoc. I think that goes hand in hand with the NBA becoming a me-first league. Players looked for more flash and individuality by coating their arms with ink. The ironic thing, of course, is that now everyone does it -- even the scrubs on the bench.

Actually not true the NETS had a good attence when they wheren't the worst NBA team and moving. Most NBA teams are like that when they suck. We have just sucked more then most. When Kidd was here and we where making the POs they had an average attendence of 98% so the ability to draw fans is there. They also never had a great record at the time and Continental was also the worst area. There was nothing nice about that place. Wasn't until 04 when they announced they where moving the attence dropped every year. Kidd left and was no one even worth watching. I liked Harris but he was always injured. Even when Coleman was the big draw they had an OK attence in the 90s. We actually went to see Coleman?

It is hard to root for a team that has a new best player every year and is obviously not trying to get better. Jefferson and Harris where our best players we parted with them both. They spent a bunch of draft picks and a good prospect to rent Williams in a loosing season to boost attendence. It is obvious he is not coming back. Either they are clueless or just dont want to build a team. Philly had a better team and was last in attendce this year. For all the 6er fans out there whining about Igi I would kill to have that guy under contract. Should we move them too? Even the Knicks had some truble filling the stands in the Thomas era and they are one of the big 3 draws.

Maybe I'm just bind with anger here. I DO feel pissed on as a NETS fan and have ever sence 2004. Ratner can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. That is really my only opinion on the matter.

Dirk is good but I have never been a big fan. I would take him over Wade easy. He is like a white Ewing. Great player but ugly as heck. I see why Knicks fans would relate. I used to like Amare but he can't stay healthy and didn't get it done with a very talented Suns team. Maybe Chis Paul but they totally made him look like a bad guy last year. Everyone keeps going Durant but he is still not there IMO. Right now I just dont see that guy, sorry.