Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Floyd, Nick Toon, Jeff Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Whoa. I mean WHOA!

...Floyd will there when the Jets pick, because wherever he's picked is going to be when we go get him. TRUST ME
    Why do you say that because the two player the Jets wanted the last two years fell to us. From your lips to god ears. I would Love Floyd. What OLB or Safety would be there in round 2????

We shouldve kept Braylon!

This is a good year to get WR. We will get a good one.

I am actually hoping we get Mohamed Sanu if he declares. He is Rutgers football right now.

All League
    Two things.

1. Nick Toon is severely overrated.

2. A name that has not been mentioned that should be is Marvin McNutt from Iowa. Call me a homer if you want, but I'm far from it, I have given plenty of objectionable looks at Iowa draft prospects in the past.

McNutt is 6-4, 215. Hands the size of frying pans, and strong, strong hands to boot. Other than an occasional(and I mean occasional) drop due to lack of concentration on the easy ones, he catches everything. Very polished route runner, and comes out of a pro style offense at Iowa. In terms of production, he puts Toon to shame both for a career and a this season. McNutt is a converted QB, so his career numbers are even more impressive(3 years as a WR).

I think he will be a 2nd-3rd round pick and be a steal at that spot. He currently runs the 40 in the low 4.5 range, but if he can improve on that, I could see him going in the high 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    We shouldve kept Braylon!
    I liked Braylon withe best of them but be wanted too much money and he is not producing.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    2. A name that has not been mentioned that should be is Marvin McNutt from Iowa. Call me a homer if you want, but I'm far from it, I have given plenty of objectionable looks at Iowa draft prospects in the past.
    I look forward to seeing McNutt in the senior bowl as well

as for the Jets, they just don't like to draft WR high. I think they would take one in the middle rounds, and they are always looking for disgruntled guys to trade (Holmes/Edwards). even this Riley cat from the Broncos P squad that's more their style than drafting a WR high in April.

Floyd is going to be a star.

I think we pick in the 20-25 area and I doubt he'll be there though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I look forward to seeing McNutt in the senior bowl as well

as for the Jets, they just don't like to draft WR high. I think they would take one in the middle rounds, and they are always looking for disgruntled guys to trade (Holmes/Edwards). even this Riley cat from the Broncos P squad that's more their style than drafting a WR high in April.
    Bit, why do you constantly harp on past occurences as signs of definite future occurences?

The Cowboys hadn't taken a linemen in the first round sinde 1981!!! Yet they pounced on Smith. Reason being that he fit a huge need and offered good value.

Picks are made based on a combination of players available, need, and value. Those factors change yearly and from draft to draft. To say that they wont take a WR in round 1 based on past drafts is really naive imo.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 10-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    1. Nick Toon is severely overrated.
    Disagree

Toon is a rock solid possession receiver. The guy is a legitimate late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

Now, does his talent match his fathers? Hell no, Al was basically Randy Moss before Randy Moss.

But the guy hustles his ass off whistle to whistle, has good hands, and is a tremendous downfield blocker.

I would still prefer Floyd, but if he's off the board, I would prefer Toon over someone like Jeff Fuller or Ryan Broyles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    To say that they wont take a WR in round 1 based on past drafts is really naive imo.
    it's not just the lack of WR draft picks it's also the signings and trades. The Santonio, Edwards trades illustrates how they value the position. Mason and Plexico as well. They want guys who know the route tree. I don't think they want to develop WR from scratch, at a high price. It takes several seasons usually, to develop. Even the 1 WR they did draft, Santana Moss, they traded before his 2nd deal. could the Jets surprise us all and take a rd 1 WR, yes they absolutely could. I don't think they will however. What role would this player assume? 4th WR? who is he replacing?
    It's not really in their DNA. ps- that Tyron Smith pick by Dallas was awful.

Safety isn't in their DNA either that is another need position I don't see them using a 1st round pick on...
    Last edited by bitonti; 10-25-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Toon is a rock solid possession receiver. The guy is a legitimate late 1st/early 2nd round pick.
    Toon's value is probably more in the top 100 grade than the top 32 grade. It will come down to his 40 time, as it does with most WR and CB around draft time. Can he go higher than Blackmon, Floyd probably not. He's a complimentary WR not a #1 guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it's not just the lack of WR draft picks it's also the signings and trades. The Santonio, Edwards trades illustrates how they value the position. Mason and Plexico as well. They want guys who know the route tree. I don't think they want to develop WR from scratch, at a high price. It takes several seasons usually, to develop. Even the 1 WR they did draft, Santana Moss, they traded before his 2nd deal. could the Jets surprise us all and take a rd 1 WR, yes they absolutely could. I don't think they will however. What role would this player assume? 4th WR? who is he replacing?
    It's not really in their DNA. ps- that Tyron Smith pick by Dallas was awful.

Safety isn't in their DNA either that is another need position I don't see them using a 1st round pick on...
    I think them signing Plax and Mason was more of a neccesity rather than a thought upon strategy. We have had so few draft picks recently we havent really had the resources to build up our WR corps, hence those signings. Those signings also, Plaxs 3tds aside, seem to be terrible. Hopefully they learn, that you cant just trade for legit WR impact players on a consistent basis. The time to put in the time to develop one is now.

Also, if we took a WR in the first I would fully expect them to compete for at least the number 2 position off the bat. Plax is a goner after this year, move Kerley to the slot, opens up a need for a big #2 on the outside. And besides its not like the Jets seem to be worried about having a rookie draft pick sit or play limited snaps their first season as evidenced by Vlad and Wilson.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 10-25-2011 at 12:13 PM.

is Nick Toon the sopne of Al Toon??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    is Nick Toon the sopne of Al Toon??

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    We have had so few draft picks recently we havent really had the resources to build up our WR corps, hence those signings.
    that is true to a certain extent but then again they went DL twice and RB before they went WR with Kirley. The Jets see the value of a Kirley or Cotchery pick and like it much more than the value of a 1st or 2nd round WR pick. They could have taken Edmond Gates instead of Kenrick Ellis but they valued DL more.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    Floyd is going to be a star.

I think we pick in the 20-25 area and I doubt he'll be there though.
    That's exactly where he's gonna go and that's where we'll take him. Next year is gonna see 3 QBs, 2 WRs, 1 RB, and atleast 5 Olinemen go in the top 20. We'll get our Floyd.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Disagree

Now, does his talent match his fathers? Hell no, Al was basically Randy Moss before Randy Moss.

But the guy hustles his ass off whistle to whistle, has good hands, and is a tremendous downfield blocker.

I would still prefer Floyd, but if he's off the board, I would prefer Toon over someone like Jeff Fuller or Ryan Broyles.
    I agree, he's a very solid possession receiver, and that's about all. If he goes in the 1st round, I'll be shocked. That's just me, I've seen Toon play a ton, and I just don't think he's anything special.

McNutt, in my opinion, is better in almost all phases of the game He's bigger, better hands(equal at worst), jumps higher, better in the red zone, similiar rout running abilities(and Toon has been a WR his entire life, McNutt has for 3 years essentially). McNutt still has some polishing to do in the route running and getting off the line, but he is far, far from a project, and the amount he's picked up in 3 years should be encouraging. And when it all comes down to it, McNutt has been flat out more productive than Toon.

McNutt dropped his forty to low 4.5's after he switched from QB to WR. Iowa players always better 40 times than expected when it comes to the combine. If he drops it to the Mid 4.4's, he will shoot up the charts. If he runs in that range, pretty hard to say know to someone with his production, and his measurables, 6'4'' 42'' vert, catches everything, coming out of a pro style offense to boot.

Toon may surprise me, but don't sleep on Marv. He's going to be a good one.

Like the look of McNutt.Also like what I've seen on Juron Criner(Arizona)Another 6-4 215 guy who looks to have great hands and body control,deceptive speed and great production....anyone else impressed by him?

Jets Insider VIP
    FWIW (pretty much nothing at this point) Walter Football has the Jets taking Floyd at 20 in his most recent mock.