Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Floyd, Nick Toon, Jeff Fuller

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    FWIW (pretty much nothing at this point) Walter Football has the Jets taking Floyd at 20 in his most recent mock.
    FCKING A! Let the campaign for Floyd begin!

floyd was a ghost against USC

All Pro
    Well then, he must suck. The play QB at ND has been such that he should be catching every ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Well then, he must suck.
    there's a difference between saying a guy sucks and questioning his value. He didn't do jack in a huge game. he's gonna have to run in the 4.4 area to make it into late round 1 and even then we are talking about a Jonathan Baldwin type of prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there's a difference between saying a guy sucks and questioning his value. He didn't do jack in a huge game. he's gonna have to run in the 4.4 area to make it into late round 1 and even then we are talking about a Jonathan Baldwin type of prospect.
    Unfair critique. SC was rolling coverage to his side all game, which left many other ND players pretty wide open. Irish could have won that game had they not had a pair of terrible turnovers that essentially led to 21 points.

Point being, SC looked to take away Floyd and ND wisely threw the ball elsewhere. On the few times he was open, Reese (who would never be mistaken for a top-flight QB) missed his chance to pull the trigger.

If you saw the Michigan game, you saw just how dominant Floyd can be. Fitz is a fair comparison - Floyd has some work to do in order to be the downfield threat that Fitz has become, but in the short area there won't be many better once he's in the league.

I don't think he'll be in the 4.4 area, so he should be available right up until the end of the 1st round.

I'm a huge ND fan and if his play against USC leads him to drop to number 30-32 where the Jets will pick, then great for us.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Unfair critique. SC was rolling coverage to his side all game, which left many other ND players pretty wide open. Irish could have won that game had they not had a pair of terrible turnovers that essentially led to 21 points.

Point being, SC looked to take away Floyd and ND wisely threw the ball elsewhere. On the few times he was open, Reese (who would never be mistaken for a top-flight QB) missed his chance to pull the trigger.

If you saw the Michigan game, you saw just how dominant Floyd can be. Fitz is a fair comparison - Floyd has some work to do in order to be the downfield threat that Fitz has become, but in the short area there won't be many better once he's in the league.

I don't think he'll be in the 4.4 area, so he should be available right up until the end of the 1st round.
    The perfect reply that i was too lazy to type.

i got nothing personal against Floyd but i do feel we should note the following

1) late 1st round WR become 3rd rounders awful quick. I like him at a lower price

2) we spent 7 months fighting about which OLB they would take last year. they ended up taking none and finding Maybin on the trash pile.

WR just isn't a priority for this front office. It will probably be another corner to replace Cro in 3 years. or a OL/DL.

If the Jets need a WR they will sign one or trade for one, that's the history of their activity at that position. I don't make the history that's damn near 10 year with Bradway in charge of the scouting.

Veteran
    Lb first round, Joe Adams in 2nd or 3rd depending on where he's predicted. Of course I'm bias, but he's a freak athlete.

All Pro
    i got nothing personal against Floyd but i do feel we should note the following

1) late 1st round WR become 3rd rounders awful quick. I like him at a lower price

2) we spent 7 months fighting about which OLB they would take last year. they ended up taking none and finding Maybin on the trash pile.

WR just isn't a priority for this front office. It will probably be another corner to replace Cro in 3 years. or a OL/DL.

If the Jets need a WR they will sign one or trade for one, that's the history of their activity at that position. I don't make the history that's damn near 10 year with Bradway in charge of the scouting.

I'm not disagreeing that WRs seem to have been an after thought in recent Jet drafting... however consider the following;

--Recent offensive struggles and turnstile play at that position may finally prompt them to stop shopping at walmart for what's on sale.

--We ARE going to need a legitimate playmaker at WR in the very near future. We're in a lose - lose situation with Burress. Does great = too much $$. Does poor = we don't want him back. And believe Burress is gonna want to cash in on his probable last real contract in the NFL in 2012.

--If rex didn't take a OLB last year early, he sure isn't now.

--Sanchez is more than likely a Jet for another 2-3 years regardless of everything... hopefully longer (meaning he plays well). we could stand to give him a WR to groom and continue growing with

--Floyd fits the bill of what this team wants to be offensively

--We ARE going to need a legitimate playmaker at WR in the very near future.
    They paid Holmes 50 million dollars to be that playmaker. Would the Jets be drafting Floyd to be a #2?

All Pro
    They paid Holmes 50 million dollars to be that playmaker. Would the Jets be drafting Floyd to be a #2?
    They'd be drafting him to compliment Holmes & presumably Kerley (which he does). First rnd pick or not, any GM/coach knows that you're more than likely not going to see the full breadth of you investment on a WR until years 2/3. It's a perfect age discordance between Holmes and Floyd.

And Holmes needs someone opposite to divide coverage. That much I'm SURE of.

They'd be drafting him to compliment Holmes & presumably Kerley (which he does). First rnd pick or not, any GM/coach knows that you're more than likely not going to see the full breadth of you investment on a WR until years 2/3. It's a perfect age discordance between Holmes and Floyd.

And Holmes needs someone opposite to divide coverage. That much I'm SURE of.
    let me be clear the Jets need a WR, i agree with that. The absolutely need more targets for Mark.

but the question isn't what you or I would do to fix that problem.

Maybe they don't believe in their ability to develop a WR or an OLB and would rather take a scattershot approach. They've been good developing corners, OL/DL, RB and even ILB with Harris. WHo's the WR coach?

Instead they try to fill it on the cheap (they signed Riley and Jamarko Simmons in the last week or so) and they love to trade for/sign vets. Derek Mason signing failing is a better outcome than Tanny drafting a WR and having him bust.

Walter Football is a great site, I don't think it's an accurate mock draft projection to have a WR going to the Jets in rd 1. I think they would like Floyd, Toon or Fuller but in rd 3 or later.

All Pro
    let me be clear the Jets need a WR, i agree with that. The absolutely need more targets for Mark.

but the question isn't what you or I would do to fix that problem.

Maybe they don't believe in their ability to develop a WR or an OLB and would rather take a scattershot approach. They've been good developing corners, OL/DL, RB and even ILB with Harris. WHo's the WR coach?

Instead they try to fill it on the cheap (they signed Riley and Jamarko Simmons in the last week or so) and they love to trade for/sign vets. Derek Mason signing failing is a better outcome than Tanny drafting a WR and having him bust.

Walter Football is a great site, I don't think it's an accurate mock draft projection to have a WR going to the Jets in rd 1. I think they would like Floyd, Toon or Fuller but in rd 3 or later.

Well I'm definitely not advocating that the Jets take a WR in the first regardless of who's there. Floyd is someone i both like and believe his value will have him available roughly where the jets will presumably be picking (late first)

If that didn't happen, and he went early then ya, take a WR where it makes sense. rnd 3, 4 whatever.

Also I'm saying all this under the assumption that we'll have a new OC (good i hope so)... and if I had it my way, it would be Curtis Johnson from the NOS, their WRs coach. I'd like someone of that kind of lineage - and would make sense in that respect that a statement pick is made for that new OC.

Also I'm saying all this under the assumption that we'll have a new OC (good i hope so)
    for Schotty to get fired the Jets have to miss the playoffs. I don't see it. Rex will let Schotty coach the O as long as he wants, as long as they keep making the playoffs. It would have to be a Woody/Tanny thing to get Schotty fired. I don't see it happening.

I have Floyd right behind Blackmon. I don't think Fuller or Toon belong in the same class as Floyd.

I've seen Floyd be very good and make some ridiculous catches on a consistent basis for 4 years now. I actually think he's the best WR with the ball in the air that's coming out this year, by a fair margin too.

Blackmon is so good with the ball in his hands. He's way better than all of the other receivers in this area, and that's what puts him at the top.

If Floyd drops out of the 1st round then he'll be the steal of the draft. I don't see why the USC game means anything. He's had good games against them in previous years. A bad game from Floyd means less than a bad game from any of the other receivers because he has a 4 year resume that they don't.

Jeffrey's supposed weight issues don't bother me. He puts up big numbers against SEC defenses. He's a little chubby. Doesn't seem to be affecting his play any.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I have Floyd right behind Blackmon. I don't think Fuller or Toon belong in the same class as Floyd.

I've seen Floyd be very good and make some ridiculous catches on a consistent basis for 4 years now. I actually think he's the best WR with the ball in the air that's coming out this year, by a fair margin too.

Blackmon is so good with the ball in his hands. He's way better than all of the other receivers in this area, and that's what puts him at the top.

If Floyd drops out of the 1st round then he'll be the steal of the draft. I don't see why the USC game means anything. He's had good games against them in previous years. A bad game from Floyd means less than a bad game from any of the other receivers because he has a 4 year resume that they don't.

Jeffrey's supposed weight issues don't bother me. He puts up big numbers against SEC defenses. He's a little chubby. Doesn't seem to be affecting his play any.

More than anything this is what gives me boners. ...Blackmon of course has elite talent once he has the ball in his hands like you mentioned, but in my books that icing. I want the cake. Floyd will move the chains every. damn. game. So few WRs that have that gut killer instinct to just come down with the ball. Regardless of coverage, and the number of bodies around him.

Activity around Floyd literally does not phase him. You could be shooting a machine gun 2 feet away and he'll never lose focus on the ball.

More than anything this is what gives me boners. ...Blackmon of course has elite talent once he has the ball in his hands like you mentioned, but in my books that icing. I want the cake. Floyd will move the chains every. damn. game. So few WRs that have that gut killer instinct to just come down with the ball. Regardless of coverage, and the number of bodies around him.

Activity around Floyd literally does not phase him. You could be shooting a machine gun 2 feet away and he'll never lose focus on the ball.
    Probably thats what we need with Sanchize's accuracy issues. But man if we could get Blackmon that would be even beter, he's a flat out beast!!

I dont really like the value of this WR crop... at the top end. Don't get me wrong I'd love the Jets to have an Andre Johnson or a Calvin Johnson and I think Tannenbaum and Bradway want that too... but these guys... I shutter to think of how they will time in the 40. Blackmon, Floyd, I don't have any faith in them to break 4.5. Blackmon is like Bolden and that's great but pre-draft you don't want to use a 1st rounder on these types of players.

don't get me wrong a guy can run poorly and be a great player (and a fast runner can be a worthless in the NFL) i'd rather not use a late first on that guy.

id rather have a guy like Mike Wallace running 4.3s, in rd 2 or 3.

the Jets need more deep threats they don't need more possession WR.

I feel the Jets do not value one position over the other, they just value, value. That's it.