Thread: So, are all car mechanics thieves?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

So, are all car mechanics thieves?

I swear these guys have a license to steal. Every repair is 500.00 minimum. WTF :mad:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    find a good mechanic and smoke copious amounts of cheebah with him/her. Your prices will come down considerably.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Information Asymmetry - Unfortunately we do not know nearly as much information about cars as mechanics...so they can charge whatever they want and we will have to pay it.

Every so often I wonder if I am wasting my money going to Grad school and getting an MBA...maybe I should have learned some job like mechanic, electrician, plumber etc.

Everyone is pushing their kids away from jobs which involve labor to the point that anyone with half a brain who DOES decide to go into those fields could probably make a killing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm lucky my wife is very good friends with my mechanics wife. Unless its extensive work, I pretty much get everything for free.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    what does he/do they get for free!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4191504]I swear these guys have a license to steal. Every repair is 500.00 minimum. WTF :mad:[/QUOTE]

Life is a Seinfeld episode...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx2GZ4AJtVM[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No some are just drug dealers but dont let those guys work on your car. Get yourself a Haynes book and do most of it yourself. I am still trying to figure out how a tuneup on my car cost 240-380 when I can but the parts myself and do it for like 40-130. But hey my company charges 180hr when customers call for my sevice, so I guess it could be worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier this year, I took my car into Lexus for the annual safety inspection so I can get my sticker. It failed much to my surprise. I pleaded with the dealer how could that be on a 2008 LS 460 L purchased brand new with only 20,000 miles on it (I only do about 6,000 miles driving/year).

Nevertheless, the dealer said it failed because I need new tires. Of course the dealer had the required Michelin tires on sale; a set of four would cost me $1,400. I left Lexus and went to another local inspection station that passed the car right away. As for the tires....took the vehicle to Sears automotive. They measured all four tires and said the thread life is still good. My point, I am still driving on those same tires 9 months later.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4191572]No some are just drug dealers but dont let those guys work on your car. Get yourself a Haynes book and do most of it yourself. I am still trying to figure out how a tuneup on my car cost 240-380 when I can but the parts myself and do it for like 40-130. But hey my company charges 180hr when customers call for my sevice, so I guess it could be worse.[/QUOTE]

If you do it yourself, you void the warranty (read the fine print of your warranty when you buy the vehicle). The dealer makes their money not on the sale of a new car but on the service.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4191504]I swear these guys have a license to steal. Every repair is 500.00 minimum. WTF :mad:[/QUOTE]

What did you have done?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RussianGreen;4191621]I would be very suspicious in your place.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that your accent--more correctly, stilted way of writing--comes and goes? Just fess up, already. The "act" is growing weary.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RussianGreen;4191621]I would be very suspicious in your place.[/QUOTE]

Why? I've been going to him for years. He was at my wedding. His wife and mine work together. As a matter of fact his seats are a few rows behind mine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4191626]Why is it that your accent--more correctly, stilted way of writing--comes and goes? Just fess up, already. The "act" is growing weary.[/QUOTE]

nobody perfect.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4191629]Why? I've been going to him for years. He was at my wedding. His wife and mine work together. As a matter of fact his seats are a few rows behind mine.[/QUOTE]

dont mind, I just drunk
    Last edited by RussianGreen; 10-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4191577]If you do it yourself, you void the warranty (read the fine print of your warranty when you buy the vehicle). [/QUOTE]

Not true.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;4191553]Information Asymmetry - Unfortunately we do not know nearly as much information about cars as mechanics...so they can charge whatever they want and we will have to pay it.

Every so often I wonder if I am wasting my money going to Grad school and getting an MBA...maybe I should have learned some job like mechanic, electrician, plumber etc.

Everyone is pushing their kids away from jobs which involve labor to the point that anyone with half a brain who DOES decide to go into those fields could probably make a killing[/QUOTE]

you my friend are ahead of the game.. working on peoples cars is how i make my side money... its amazing how some men my age cant do routine maintenance on their own cars... try your best because thats basiclly what your mechanic is doing... :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4191686]Not true.[/QUOTE]

What is not true? If you do your own service/repairs, the dealer will not honor the warranty. When you take your car to the dealer for service there are certain "specific" requirements that must be met. Furthermore, the vehicles today are so technologically advanced/computerized, there is no way Joe Q. Public can fix/service his vehicle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4191748]What is not true? If you do your own service/repairs, the dealer will not honor the warranty. When you take your car to the dealer for service there are certain "specific" requirements that must be met. Furthermore, the vehicles today are so technologically advanced/computerized, there is no way Joe Q. Public can fix/service his vehicle.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Sounds like that car salesman did a real number on you bro. Routine maintenance can be done by the owner as long as its documented on your owners log that comes with the owners manual. You can fix/replace your tires,brakes,and fluids yourself.