Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have the following ingredients....

You have the following ingredients....

Make a dinner with the following ingredients. (Explain what you are going to do with them.) You are free to use any utensils or pots/pans you require. Try not to look at what others post until you have made your dish and posted.

1 clove of garlic
    1 cup of feta cheese
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 small onion
    6 large mushrooms
    1 cup of red wine
    either 1 cup of chicken strips or ground beef
    4 small roma tomatos
    1 cup of snow peas
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1/2 loaf of french bread
    salt
    pepper

4 small roma tomatoes. Assuming they are already washed.

In what continent do I find myself?

All Pro
    throw AWAY THE PEAS, DRINK THE WINE, AND MAKE A SANDWICH.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4208761]1 clove of garlic
    1 cup of feta cheese
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 small onion
    6 large mushrooms
    1 cup of red wine
    4 small roma tomatos
    1 cup of snow peas
    1/2 loaf of french bread
    salt
    pepper[/QUOTE]

1. Dice Garlic fine. Slice Onion, Mushroom.
    2. Sautee Garlic, Onion, Mushrooms in Butter till soft and browned.
    3. Feed the Chicken/Beef to the Dog.
    4. Toss the Wine and Snow Peas in the trash.
    5. In the oven, roast the tomatoes in the Olive Oil, with a dusting of salt and pepper, until soft and blackened around the edges.
    6. Warm the French Bread Loaf.

To Serve: Slice the French Loaf down the side, and open. Layer the sauteed Mushrooms, Onions and Garlic bits. Sprinkle over 1/2 of teh Feta Cheese. Layer on the Roast Tomatoes. Sprinkle the remaining Feta Cheese. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Addition: Find someone with some mayo, dijon mustard and greek spice mix, and add in moderation to the sandwhich.

Warfish's Wife's "Greek" Veggie Sub Sandwhich is Go.:yes:

take the rest of the bottle of wine and sit on the couch and watch tv while the wife or GF cooks

[QUOTE=Warfish;4208787]1. Dice Garlic fine. Slice Onion, Mushroom.
    2. Sautee Garlic, Onion, Mushrooms in Butter till soft and browned.
    3. Feed the Chicken/Beef to the Dog.
    4. Toss the Wine and Snow Peas in the trash.
    5. In the oven, roast the tomatoes in the Olive Oil, with a dusting of salt and pepper, until soft and blackened around the edges.
    6. Warm the French Bread Loaf.

To Serve: Slice the French Loaf down the side, and open. Layer the sauteed Mushrooms, Onions and Garlic bits. Sprinkle over 1/2 of teh Feta Cheese. Layer on the Roast Tomatoes. Sprinkle the remaining Feta Cheese. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Addition: Find someone with some mayo, dijon mustard and greek spice mix, and add in moderation to the sandwhich.

Warfish's Wife's "Greek" Veggie Sub Sandwhich is Go.:yes:[/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome. I may try that tonight.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4208778]In what continent do I find myself?[/QUOTE]

Anywhere you wish.

[QUOTE=gunnails;4208784]throw AWAY THE PEAS, DRINK THE WINE, AND MAKE A SANDWICH.[/QUOTE]

A totally valid reply. Though more details on the sammich are needed.

Jets Insider VIP
    I would have Betsy take all that stuff, sautee it and throw it on a fajita topped with the feta with some blue cheese dressing....with the french bread on the side.

Dammit.

Now I'm hungry.

edit: oh. And I know you're thinking "fajitas and blue cheese dressing weren't in the list of ingredients". But...those two things are ALWAYS in my house.... :yes: :rockon:

double edit: funny thing. As I type this, she's making sauteed chicken for a salad. But. But...your idea is better Beerfish. We have the rest of the stuff you listed.....
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 10-26-2011 at 06:48 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4208761]Make a dinner with the following ingredients. (Explain what you are going to do with them.) You are free to use any utensils or pots/pans you require. Try not to look at what others post until you have made your dish and posted.

1 clove of garlic
    1 cup of feta cheese
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 small onion
    6 large mushrooms
    1 cup of red wine
    4 small roma tomatos
    1 cup of snow peas
    1/2 loaf of french bread
    salt
    pepper[/QUOTE]

slice the snow peas, onion and mushrooms saute with the olive oil and chicken, S+P. Press garlic, saute for a minute, do not burn, deglaze pan with red wine. Add chopped romas, add rest of wine for sauce. Sprinkle Feta over top when you serve. Butter your bread and eat.

Not my thread, but dissapointed the self-appointed gourmands of teh Hampur basicly ignored it. I thought this thread had real potential here.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4209720]Not my thread, but dissapointed the self-appointed gourmands of teh Hampur basicly ignored it. I thought this thread had real potential here.[/QUOTE]

I am not a gourmet by any stretch, I just like to cook.

Having said that, I wasn't particularly entralled with the list of ALL of the ingredients, so I didn't feel like playing. I also don't take random ingredients like they do on "Chopped" and concoct something, I usually look at a recipie and alter it a lot to my tastes.

The feta, snow peas, raw tomatoes and strips of chicken don't fit the profile of what I like to cook--certainly not together.

Substitute Parm Reggiano or Pecorino Romano, San Marzano tomatoes or a double strength tomato paste? The ground beef yes, but would probably add ground pork and veal as well. I'd also need some fresh thyme or rosemary or sage and flat leaf parsely, and I'd need a starch to incorporate the dish into. Many of the meals I make have a pasta or rice/risotto base to it.

_

Moderator VIP Visionary
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4209720]Not my thread, but dissapointed the self-appointed gourmands of teh Hampur basicly ignored it. I thought this thread had real potential here.[/QUOTE]

You can't chide me; I liked your sandwich! :mad:

I needed to add some rage faces in the 1st post.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4209968]I needed to add some rage faces in the 1st post.[/QUOTE]

And some pancetta.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4208761]Make a dinner with the following ingredients. (Explain what you are going to do with them.) You are free to use any utensils or pots/pans you require. Try not to look at what others post until you have made your dish and posted.

1 clove of garlic
    1 cup of feta cheese
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 small onion
    6 large mushrooms
    1 cup of red wine
    4 small roma tomatos
    1 cup of snow peas
    1/2 loaf of french bread
    salt
    pepper[/QUOTE]

Need to know what kind of mushrooms. Assuming psychedelic, eat raw, then proceed to cooking.

Lightly heat olive oil in pan. Chop garlic, onion. Brown in pan, lightly salting halfway through.

Add strips of chicken, cook through. Remove chicken when done, keep warm.

Deglaze pan with red wine. Reduce wine to a little more than half. Add diced tomatoes, snow peas. Continue to reduce down a bit more. Finish sauce with butter. Season with salt/pepper.

Pour sauce over chicken, serve to lady with sliced bread.

Enjoy legs-open dessert.

Veteran

1 clove of garlic
    1 cup of feta cheese
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 small onion
    6 large mushrooms
    1 cup of red wine
    4 small roma tomatos
    1 cup of snow peas
    1/2 loaf of french bread
    salt
    pepper[/QUOTE]

Side dish - Snow Peas in Olive Oil
    Sautee the onion tbsp of olv. oil
    Once they're pinkish add the snow peas and sautee for about 15 seconds
    add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil, quarter tablespoon of salt, quarter tablespoon of sugar and enough water to cover the peas
    cook cook until tender in medium heat let it cool and serve cold.

Main dish - Mushroom Ground Beef Concoction

Slice and sautee the mushrooms in half a tablespoon of butter (before putting the mushrooms in the pan put the whole clove of garlic in leave it for about a minute and take it out) until they let go of their juices take them out of the pan with the said mushroom juice.

Sautee the ground beef in half a tablespoon of butter once they are brown add the mushrooms and let it cook in their own juices. Once the mixture is reduced place the mixture on the french bread that was sliced in half heat it in the oven for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.

Drink the wine, eat the tomatoes and the feta for breakfast.
    Last edited by The Turk; 10-28-2011 at 04:56 AM.

[QUOTE=The Turk;4210327]Side dish - Snow Peas in Olive Oil
    Sautee the onion tbsp of olv. oil
    Once they're pinkish add the snow peas and sautee for about 15 seconds
    add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil, quarter tablespoon of salt, quarter tablespoon of sugar and enough water to cover the peas
    cook cook until tender in medium heat let it cool and serve cold.

Main dish - Mushroom Ground Beef Concoction

Slice and sautee the mushrooms in half a tablespoon of butter (before putting the mushrooms in the pan put the whole clove of garlic in leave it for about a minute and take it out) until they let go of their juices take them out of the pan with the said mushroom juice.

Sautee the ground beef in half a tablespoon of butter once they are brown add the mushrooms and let it cook in their own juices. Once the mixture is reduced place the mixture on the french bread that was sliced in half heat it in the oven for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.

Drink the wine, eat the tomatoes and the feta for breakfast.[/QUOTE]

mmmm. If I could cook I'd make yours and Fish's.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

1 cup of chicken strips
    1/2 loaf of french bread
    salt
    pepper

... chicken sandwich ...

1 cup of red wine

... mmhhmmm, tasty ...

1 clove of garlic
    1 cup of feta cheese
    2 tablespoons of butter