Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience w/ children and ADHD?

Jets Insider VIP

Anyone have experience w/ children and ADHD?

Looking for some advice. My 6 year old is really struggling to behave in school. Has all the classic symptoms of ADHD. I [B]DO NOT[/B] want to put him on ritalin etc.

Does anyone have any experience w/ treating a child with adhd without meds?

I have tried theanine, which is an amino acid as has been known to help, but this did not improve my childs behavior at all.

Any advice on treating adhd naturally would be appreciated.

Jets Insider VIP
    Has he been officially diagnosed as such?

All League
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4209574][B]Looking for some advice[/B]. My 6 year old is really struggling to behave in school. Has all the classic symptoms of ADHD. I DO NOT want to put him on ritalin etc.[/QUOTE]

Well, you've certainly come to the right place. Never before assembled has there been such a bunch of jackelopes, miscreants, and deviants with a penchant for general asshattery. Welcome to The Hampur.

Talk to the school special services department. They can at least test him and see whats going on. If he requires special needs they classify him, your Dr gets him the meds he needs and he goes on to have a succesful school career. If not your looking for alot of trouble being in denial. My nephew went through all this. Hes know choosing what college he would like to go to. Good Luck.

All League
    They made my daughter take a 6 hour test to see if she had ADD. That by itself seems stupid. Giving a 6 hour test to someone who might have ADD!! Turns out she has ADD where if she's bored she'll just sort of daydream. They think it's from hearing problems she had as an infant. Anyway she was having a real hard time in school taking up to 2 hours to do homework which should have taken 20 minutes. We opted not to go the Ritilin route and instead got her a tutor for after school. We started with 3 days a week and are down to 1 day a week now. It's helped MASSIVELY for her math and for reading we make her read out loud because she tends to focus more with that trick. She's doing better in school now because she's not behind and can keep up in class.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Start with his pediatrician. Tell him/her your concerns and the concerns of the teacher at his school. If it's a lack of focus, constant hyperactivity, inability to control himself or impulsiveness then the pediatrician will likely refer your child to a child psychologist for a thorough evaluation. Just follow the logical process of diagnosis. You need to understand what the real problem is before you try concocting anything (natural or otherwise) to treat it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4209574]Anyone have experience w/ children and ADHD?[/QUOTE]

I'll email my parents and PM you.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4209598]I'll email my parents and PM you from my basement computer.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Ok, here is my experience...

My older son is 23. When he was in second or third grade, his teacher and the school psychologist called me in to a meeting. They said that they had observed my son and thought he was ADD. I don't even think they used the term ADHD yet.

The teacher thought she saw the classic symptoms of ADHD so she called in the school psychologist. The school psychologist observed him for about an hour over two classes and suggested he be put on ritalin.

I about lost my mind. Totally went off on them. I think that there are too many idiots out there who think drugs are the easy way out. Some some parents and some teachers (not an indictment on all teachers) are too lazy to put in extra time on a child.

I took my kid to Yale / New Haven hospital and got him tested. Not ADD at all.

I know some kids need help but be very, very wary of using mind altering drugs on a kid. My cousin's kid is on ritalin and I never thought he needed it. Completely changed the kid. Very sad.

My advice is to get him tested at a good hospital.

By the way, my 23 year old son, who was once hyper as hell, is pretty laid back.

Let kids be kids.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4209602]Fixed that for you. :D[/QUOTE]

lolz :P

My younger brother (17 years younger) was "diagnosed" with ADHD by his school (lol) and wasn't allowed to go back until he was on drugs/ritalin. My mom capitulated w/o me knowing....I didn't realize until I went to her house and saw my normally happy, out-going 9 year old brother practically drooling on the couch watching TV. I freaked and she took him off. He's fine now...he was just a "rammy" kid...

...kinda like his older brother. I would have been put on drugs had I been born a decade later. I didn't have attention deficit...I just didn't feel like paying attention to stuff that bored me. And when I got bored, I found ways to entertain myself that was usually a distraction to the rest of the class.

Years ago there was no ADHD or ADD. The medical profession is the only one who capitlizes on all this. Ever wonder why Drs and Drug Reps drive big fancy cars and live in big homes. All at the expense of the guinea pigs us.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4209598]I'll email my parents and PM you.[/QUOTE]

+1

By the way, Joe...

Your kid is probably smarter than everyone else his age. He's just too bored to give a sh!t about what the teacher is saying.

He'll learn on his own. That's what I did anyway. ;)

All Pro
    I dont have children nor do i have experience with ADHD, but oddly enough my psych class just dicussed ADHD and intellectual behavior.

Drugs should be the last option for anything with ADD/ADHD meds they will make your child better in school and more "attentive" but after awhile most children will become depressed, angry at the parents, or worse angry at themselves.

There are tests that the school psychologist can give your child to see if he/she has a "problem" or not.

If your child is put on medication be sure to reassure that nothing is wrong with them and that after awhile they will grow out of it as nearly all ADD/ADHD patients do. But I really dont think i needed to say that last part because I'm sure that you encourage your children at all times, just wanted to share what i learned in class the last week if itll help you.

But like stated many times above, Medication should be the last thing to put your child on.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4209574]Looking for some advice. My 6 year old is really struggling to behave in school. Has all the classic symptoms of ADHD. I [B]DO NOT[/B] want to put him on ritalin etc.

Does anyone have any experience w/ treating a child with adhd without meds?

I have tried theanine, which is an amino acid as has been known to help, but this did not improve my childs behavior at all.

Any advice on treating adhd naturally would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I was a pre-ADHD kid; couldn't concentrate on anything but drawings in class. I believe that I was just anxious; whether or not the anxiety was the source of the problem, IDK. The anxiety made me restless. It was unusually stressful at my house.

So? In order to fight back against teh never-ending demands from teachers and doctors to medicate your son, you CAN take a long term approach to training him:
    1) some type of gentle deep breathing he can do when he feels anxious/unable to focus. With your help, he will come to be aware of the moments when he feels "funny".
    2) understanding focus comes from enjoying the task at hand; get him tutoring help so he can master the subject enough that it becomes enjoyable
    3) double-check home environment for hidden sources of anxiety

I was able to help both my sons with innate anxiety problems; one had severe anxiety issues from kindergarten until 8th grade. It's the sense of control (that comes fromo the training) that sticks and makes difference.

Jets Insider VIP
    Like others have said, see your pediatrician and take it from there. Most likely its not ADHD and it could be something else.

Our day care had noticed some alienation behavior with my daughter when she was only 2-3 years old. Thankfully through early intervention programs we were able to get her the kind of help she needed and it was one of the best things we ever did.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4209673]Years ago there was no ADHD or ADD. The medical profession is the only one who capitlizes on all this. Ever wonder why Drs and Drug Reps drive big fancy cars and live in big homes. All at the expense of the guinea pigs us.[/QUOTE]

Dude, stop. Not the time/place.

_

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4209574]Any advice on treating adhd naturally would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Take them to an actual Doctor for an actual diagnosis, medical and psycological.

Take the Medications and Treatments (Therapy) they proscribe.

I won't even touch the foolishness of "Natual" in this context.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4209705]I was a pre-ADHD kid; couldn't concentrate on anything but drawings in class. I believe that I was just anxious; whether or not the anxiety was the source of the problem, IDK. The anxiety made me restless. It was unusually stressful at my house.

So? In order to fight back against teh never-ending demands from teachers and doctors to medicate your son, you CAN take a long term approach to training him:
    1) some type of gentle deep breathing he can do when he feels anxious/unable to focus. With your help, he will come to be aware of the moments when he feels "funny".
    2) understanding focus comes from enjoying the task at hand; get him tutoring help so he can master the subject enough that it becomes enjoyable
    3) double-check home environment for hidden sources of anxiety

I was able to help both my sons with innate anxiety problems; one had severe anxiety issues from kindergarten until 8th grade. It's the sense of control (that comes fromo the training) that sticks and makes difference.[/QUOTE]

I find your methods intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Jets Insider VIP
    First and foremost, find a medical professional [I][U]that you trust.[/U][/I] I cannot stress that enough. Like all behavioral/developmental disabilities that are more prevalent now, there are varying ideas on why that is. Some will even say that this is all just a result of better diagnosing (mostly not true). Others will say it is all the environment (somewhat true). The main thing to remember, these are all diagnosed by mostly subjective criteria and methodology. So where one clinician may see a problem, another may be more reticent to offer a diagnosis and instead have you seek out some interventions, then to return again after a set amount of time to re-test.

Therefore, do as I said and get a good doc. And if in the end it is recommended that you put your son on a drug, so be it. Just know all the benefits versus side effects and make the informed, correct decision. Bear in mind I say all this as a parent of two developmentally delayed children, one with profound autism and the other with OCD/ADHD tendencies. Never beat yourself up for acting in your child's best interest, even if it compromises some of your own principles. That's a hard lesson I had to learn when it came to treating my children.

Drugs can be helpful interventions, but they shouldn't be the only intervention. One simple thing you can try is to eliminate red dye containing foods/drinks as a reputable study has shown that this can contribute to hyperactivity. And yes, the FDA regulates these things, but if the poison is in the dose, then it stands to reason that the dose is in the person. I would also immediately try a sugar-free diet, while also lowering his intake of complex carbohydrates. Provided general nutrition is maintained, this is a pretty safe and effective intervention.

Good luck and keep us updated.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4209714]Take them to an actual Doctor for an actual diagnosis, medical and psycological.

Take the Medications and Treatments (Therapy) they proscribe.

I won't even touch the foolishness of "Natual" in this context.[/QUOTE]

There's more science in play then you are giving credit. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Not to say that there aren't some snake-oil salesmen, but don't discount the whole homeopathic approach.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 10-27-2011 at 02:39 PM.

...i bet ur child is perfectly normal...gee a 6 yr old having trouble concentrating?...that never happens...plz...do not put him on drugs...he's doing what boys have been doing for ages...anxiousness is nothing more than a human survival technique we acquired when we were being eaten by bigger animals or hunting for our next meal...i bet theres nothing wrong with your little guy that time and patience and attention won't solve...