Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: 40 years ago today...RIP Duane

  1. #1
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276

    40 years ago today...RIP Duane


  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,571
    Dude was amazing!

    Rest in peace.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,096
    I've been on an Allman's kick lately, can't believe how great Elizabeth Reed is. Duane's solo has become one of my favorites of all time. Damn, wish I had seen him alive. Can't wait for the tour next year.

    _

  4. #4
    Whipping Post !!!!

  5. #5
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Duane sings! and absolutely kills it...

    my favorite version of this tune is on the Dreams 4 cd box set (disc2) for those of you looking

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkFkGDtDpVw

  6. #6
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I've been on an Allman's kick lately, can't believe how great Elizabeth Reed is. Duane's solo has become one of my favorites of all time. Damn, wish I had seen him alive. Can't wait for the tour next year.

    _
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcpwMZKPsQM

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    721
    I read a biography on him a few years ago called Skydog. I remember one story about how intensely he practiced when he was a kid. He would listen to riffs on records and play them over & over while learning it on guitar. He developed a technique of picking up the record needle with his foot and putting it back to the exact spot on the record mid song where the riff started...keeping his hands free for the guitar.

  8. #8
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Duane sings again, however nothing sounds as sweet as his guitar

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMNw3jOAA2Q

  9. #9
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276

  10. #10
    The crash that killed him was on October 29, 1971, but I echo the sentiment.

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,501
    First concert I ever went to, Alan Parsons Project and The Allman Brothers at the Calderon Theatre in Hempstead, 1981.

    Duane was gone by then, but still what an amazing show, at a really cool venue.

  12. #12
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    First concert I ever went to, Alan Parsons Project and The Allman Brothers at the Calderon Theatre in Hempstead, 1981.

    Duane was gone by then, but still what an amazing show, at a really cool venue.
    I saw Elvin Bishop play there...very hazy lol

  13. #13
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    The crash that killed him was on October 29, 1971, but I echo the sentiment.
    I forgot my wife's birthday this year too

  14. #14
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276

  15. #15
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I saw Elvin Bishop play there...very hazy lol
    Oh yeah, MAJOR doobage out in the open, from the first row to the last. 1981 was a different time...that theatre was storming. And it was before "exotic" weed and the Q-tip thin jernts -- this was still in the Panama Red/Acapulco Gold "dirt weed" days when we rolled 'em as fat as your thumb and had the smoke banking down from the ceiling

  16. #16
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276

  17. #17
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Oh yeah, MAJOR doobage out in the open, from the first row to the last. 1981 was a different time...that theatre was storming. And it was before "exotic" weed and the Q-tip thin jernts -- this was still in the Panama Red/Acapulco Gold "dirt weed" days when we rolled 'em as fat as your thumb and had the smoke banking down from the ceiling
    lol...I remember some dude walking around at Jones Beach a hundred years ago, only this guy wasn't selling fudgie wudgie bars, he was yelling, "Ice cold Gold, already rolled!"

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I forgot my wife's birthday this year too


    How are you still breathing?

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,532
    Love Duane. Died way too soon.

  20. #20
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post


    How are you still breathing?
    it was two weeks ago, we were traveling during the weekend, and stressing over various things, and I just forgot what day it was, not her actual birthday...good thing my daughter texted me late that morning, so I got off relatively unscathed lol

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92AZIlMmsQ

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us