Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Freakin snowstorm this weekend...seriously?

[QUOTE=shakin318;4214831]I've been thinking about getting a fireplace. Can anyone make any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

For a large house, or a mini one? Or both?

Burn barrels work in a pinch too. Don't limit yourself.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4214831]I've been thinking about getting a fireplace. Can anyone make any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

Go outside and grab 10 large stones (cylinder blocks can be used as replacement) and place them in a circle on the floor of the room desiring the fireplace. Add dry leaves or pinestraw to the newly formed stone circle. Add tinder (twigs, small sticks, bark) and gasoline. Strike a match or use a lighter to ignite the tinder. Be sure to stand 10-15 feet from the fireplace for optimal viewing.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4214834]How far away from it are you planning on sitting?

_[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4214835]How far do you plan on sitting from it?[/QUOTE]

LMAO. Great minds apparently.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm sensing that the distance from which I plan to sit from said fireplace is of the utmost importance.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=frostlich;4214836]For a large house, or a mini one? Or both?

Burn barrels work in a pinch too. Don't limit yourself.[/QUOTE]

I really just want to make sure my fireplace is nicer than Jay Mohr's maid's fireplace. Then I can feel like I'm somebody. Somebody warm.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;4214837]Go outside and grab 10 large stones (cylinder blocks can be used as replacement) and place them in a circle on the floor of the room desiring the fireplace. Add dry leaves or pinestraw to the newly formed stone circle. Add tinder (twigs, small sticks, bark) and gasoline. Strike a match or use a lighter to ignite the tinder. Be sure to stand 10-15 feet from the fireplace for optimal viewing.[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts on venting?

_

All Pro
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4214847]I'm sensing that the distance from which I plan to sit from said fireplace is of the utmost importance.[/QUOTE]

I recommend six inches, which is the same length as 32's... oh, never mind. :D

Do what the Indians did. Saw a hole in the roof of your house and build a fire right in the middle of the living room. Children love it.

P.S. I've got two Russian guys drunk as skunks on potato vodka and dizzy from running on a gerbil wheel that can build anything... I'll send their business card.
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 11-02-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4214835]How far do you plan on sitting from it?[/QUOTE]

SCAN THE BOARD :steamin:

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4214856]Any thoughts on venting?

_[/QUOTE]

Since 99% of the flammables are eco-friendly you don't need to worry about the emissions.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4214857]I recommend six inches, which is the same length as 32's... oh, never mind. :D

Do what the Indians did. Saw a hole in the roof of your house and build a fire right in the middle of the living room. Children love it.[/QUOTE]

Have you been to Bangalore?

It's freaking hot there--they don't need fires to keep warm.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4214817]You got nothing to worry about, bro. It would have to get WAY below freezing for your pipes to burst. In fact, it's rarely the cold alone that brings on frozen lines....99% of the time it's cold coupled with wind (wind chill, baby) that'll make pipes freeze.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, still going to get the generator big enough to run the heater. What a pain... looking like Friday to get my elec. back...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southside;4214839]LMAO. Great minds apparently.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's what it is.

With PK as your barometer.

:alien:

[QUOTE=southside;4214862]Since 99% of the flammables are eco-friendly you don't need to worry about the emissions.[/QUOTE]

+1. Double bonus if you have access to a healthy supply of cow or yak dung.

[IMG]http://en.tibetmagazine.net/tjxs/200803/W020080312583156509593.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4214874]Yea, that's what it is.

With PK as your barometer.

:alien:[/QUOTE]

[B]I DIDN'T WRITE THAT!!!!

SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT!!!!

MODS!!!![/B]

:steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4214800]No need to explain your intentions. Misery loves company and I see you as a follower not a leader anyway.[/QUOTE]

Never have been without power for more than 2 hours and I live in an area that is first serviced when it is.

Thanks for your concern.

Not everyone's situation is the same as yours.

[QUOTE=Scott Dierking;4214933]Never have been without power for more than 2 hours and I live in an area that is first serviced when it is.

Thanks for your concern.

Not everyone's situation is the same as yours.[/QUOTE]

More are then you actually think. Some very affluent towns 5 minutes from my home are without power since Saturday. This is the second time this year this has happened due to downed trees.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4214947]More are then you actually think. Some very affluent towns 5 minutes from my home are without power since Saturday. This is the second time this year this has happened due to downed trees.[/QUOTE]

You obviously know my circumstance better than I do, so have it at.

[QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4214806]I do have a generator, just not hooked into the heat. Next week I will post the specs on the natural gas powered generator that can run my first floor automatically once I review with my electriction what needs to be done. Still no power for me and at least it has not gone below 45 degrees in the house so I am ok pipe wise.[/QUOTE]

Thats the way to go, if you plan on dieing in your current house and want to spend alot of money. A portable gas generator rated for 10,500 watts will operate the furnace and other appliances just fine. You will need to install a transfer switch. The best part if you move you can take it with you.

[QUOTE=Scott Dierking;4214949]You obviously know my circumstance better than I do, so have it at.[/QUOTE]

No not at all. Your circumstance and mine arent like everyone elses. But you being anti-generator is quite obvious.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4214957]No not at all. Your circumstance and mine arent like everyone elses. But you being anti-generator is quite obvious.[/QUOTE]

You have geotherm in your house??

Do you? DO YOU?

Because...when the apocalypse comes and the world runs out of gas, your pathetic generator will become a giant paperweight...while I'll still be producing electricity and heat from the motherf*cking earth itself!!