Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 119

Thread: Yankees Hot Stove Thread (Try 2)

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,192
    Bay is shot. He has played in two ballparks now that have ruined his swing.

    Besides I think Burnett is going to pitch better this year. I think that post season start will help give home some confidence. I think he can be their fifth starter for sure. I think he will go like 14-12 and have ERA in low 4s. I know he gets paid like an ace but the Yanks can afford to have him be their fifth.

  2. #22
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,567
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Bay is shot. He has played in two ballparks now that have ruined his swing.

    Besides I think Burnett is going to pitch better this year. I think that post season start will help give home some confidence. I think he can be their fifth starter for sure. I think he will go like 14-12 and have ERA in low 4s. I know he gets paid like an ace but the Yanks can afford to have him be their fifth.
    Burnett is a big ? - so is Hughes and Garcia. You just don't know what you are going to get. I think Nova is going to be a top flight pitcher. I would swap AJ for Bay in a heartbeat. I think he can recover and would do well in the middle of the Yankees lineup. IMO Gardner is a 4th outfielder. He just does not put up the offensive #s to justify playing every day. I do not understand what Cashman/Girardi see in him.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Burnett is a big ? - so is Hughes and Garcia. You just don't know what you are going to get. I think Nova is going to be a top flight pitcher. I would swap AJ for Bay in a heartbeat. I think he can recover and would do well in the middle of the Yankees lineup. IMO Gardner is a 4th outfielder. He just does not put up the offensive #s to justify playing every day. I do not understand what Cashman/Girardi see in him.
    He brings balance to the lineup. Without him, we have no speed threat. Plus he gives you the range you need in a big left field. Bay is just awful and is inferior to Gardner defensively. He's purely a power guy, and we already have plenty of that. This lineup certainly doesn't need another home run, strike out or nothing else kind of guy. Their inconsistent enough.

    Not sure what you really want out of your #9 hitter. You can't have an all-star at every position.

  4. #24
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,567
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    He brings balance to the lineup. Without him, we have no speed threat. Plus he gives you the range you need in a big left field. Bay is just awful and is inferior to Gardner defensively. He's purely a power guy, and we already have plenty of that. This lineup certainly doesn't need another home run, strike out or nothing else kind of guy. Their inconsistent enough.

    Not sure what you really want out of your #9 hitter. You can't have an all-star at every position.
    I am not looking at as a #9 hitter. I am looking at it as a corner OFer. I don't think .275 17-20 HRs and 80 RBIs is alot to ask from an everyday corner OFer.

    .259-7-36 in 159 games does not cut it.

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I am not looking at as a #9 hitter. I am looking at it as a corner OFer. I don't think .275 17-20 HRs and 80 RBIs is alot to ask from an everyday corner OFer.

    .259-7-36 in 159 games does not cut it.
    People get so caught up on production from positions. It makes no sense. You're already getting the production you want in the middle of the lineup. It doesn't matter what positions the guys play. When your 2B, 3B and CF give you far more production at their positions than average, it makes up for what you don't get in left.

    Again, Gardner fills a need. The lineup requires balance. Someone has to hit in the bottom of the order. If you want to balance power with run manufacturing, you need guys that can take a walk, steal a base, lay down a bunt etc. He does that. No one else in the lineup does. Like I said, we've seen what happens when you build a lineup of exclusively power hitters. You score a ton of runs against bad pitching and you get shut down by good/hot pitching.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    People get so caught up on production from positions. It makes no sense. You're already getting the production you want in the middle of the lineup. It doesn't matter what positions the guys play. When your 2B, 3B and CF give you far more production at their positions than average, it makes up for what you don't get in left.

    Again, Gardner fills a need. The lineup requires balance. Someone has to hit in the bottom of the order. If you want to balance power with run manufacturing, you need guys that can take a walk, steal a base, lay down a bunt etc. He does that. No one else in the lineup does. Like I said, we've seen what happens when you build a lineup of exclusively power hitters. You score a ton of runs against bad pitching and you get shut down by good/hot pitching.
    Totally agree. Plus with Gardner and Granderson they just cover soo much ground.

    Also, I want Nunez in the lineup more. Another good speed guy to manufacture with Gardner.

    Plus, Gardner is cheap. Even the Yanks have a payroll

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Totally agree. Plus with Gardner and Granderson they just cover soo much ground.

    Also, I want Nunez in the lineup more. Another good speed guy to manufacture with Gardner.

    Plus, Gardner is cheap. Even the Yanks have a payroll
    Exactly. Look at what we're getting out of Gardner vs. what the Red Sox are getting out of Crawford, for about 1/10th of the price. You'll feel a lot better about our #9 hitter when you look at it that way.

  8. #28
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,117
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Well that seemed a bit excessive, but whatever.

    Back to the conversation.
    My bad fellas, apologies to all.


  9. #29
    Jason Bay, lol. Puff puff pass.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,676
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Exactly. Look at what we're getting out of Gardner vs. what the Red Sox are getting out of Crawford, for about 1/10th of the price. You'll feel a lot better about our #9 hitter when you look at it that way.
    I said that all last offseason and Yankee fans thought I was nuts.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    People get so caught up on production from positions. It makes no sense. You're already getting the production you want in the middle of the lineup. It doesn't matter what positions the guys play. When your 2B, 3B and CF give you far more production at their positions than average, it makes up for what you don't get in left.

    Again, Gardner fills a need. The lineup requires balance. Someone has to hit in the bottom of the order. If you want to balance power with run manufacturing, you need guys that can take a walk, steal a base, lay down a bunt etc. He does that. No one else in the lineup does. Like I said, we've seen what happens when you build a lineup of exclusively power hitters. You score a ton of runs against bad pitching and you get shut down by good/hot pitching.
    Perfectly put...

    I love what Gardner brings tbh...

    Besides, he was more clutch than anyone not named Cano in the playoffs...

  12. #32
    Braves Interested In Trading For Eduardo Nunez
    By Mike Axisa [November 19 at 10:40pm CST]

    The Braves are looking to add offense this winter, and John Harper of The New York Daily News reports that they let the Yankees know they'd be interested in trading for shortstop Eduardo Nunez last week.

    “They need offense," said Harper's source. "They need a shortstop because they don’t want to bring [Alex] Gonzalez back, and they like Nunez a lot. They know the jury is out on him defensively, but they think his offense is strong enough that he could move to the outfield if he can’t be their long-term answer at short.”

    Atlanta did not discuss Jair Jurrjens or any specific players on their side with the Yankees, and they also showed interest in Nunez last winter. The 24-year-old infielder hit .265/.313/.385 with five homers in 338 plate appearances this past year, stealing 22 bases in 28 tries as well.

    Nunez played short and third base primarily last season, getting regular at-bats when Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez hit the disabled list at different times of the summer. He also saw time at second base and occasionally filled in at the corner outfield spots. Nunez committed 20 errors in his limited time, most coming on throws, so his ability to play the left side of the infield on an everyday basis is still in question.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    And he can do that in St. Louis -- he is from the St. Louis area and for years there has been talk that he will finish his career there.

    Never know what can happen if the Yanks are the highest bidder, but from what I have heard around here, I would be surprised if he winds up in NY.
    Cards are already spending the kings' ransom on resigning Pujols do you really think they'll have the money to sign Buerhle too?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    Jason Bay, lol. Puff puff pass.
    +1

    As bad as AJ has been Bay has been even worse. 10X worse. Plus we already have a full-time DH Montero not to mention Arod will occasionally have to DH to keep him healthy.

  15. #35
    Yankees agreed to a 1 year deal with Freddy Garcia for 4-5 mil. He was solid last season, knew how to pitch and handled NY pretty well. Solid back end starter, but I won't be thrilled with our rotation going into the season still if this is it.

    1-Sabathia
    2-Nova
    3-Garcia
    4-Burnett
    5-Hughes

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,815
    I really would like buerhle. I am interested in darvish also either one of those would work for me. I like buerhle because he is left-handed if we can not trade for liriano.

  17. #37
    Gio Gonzalez, John Danks, or Mark Buehrle please.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Yankees agreed to a 1 year deal with Freddy Garcia for 4-5 mil. He was solid last season, knew how to pitch and handled NY pretty well. Solid back end starter, but I won't be thrilled with our rotation going into the season still if this is it.

    1-Sabathia
    2-Nova
    3-Garcia
    4-Burnett
    5-Hughes
    The rotation is fine the problem last season was lack of clutch hitting.

    Also, if anything, Nova should be the 4 or 5 not the 2. We already saw what happened with Hughes we can't burn out Nova's arm either with overuse. Garcia will probably end up being the #2 starter.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    The rotation is fine the problem last season was lack of clutch hitting.

    Also, if anything, Nova should be the 4 or 5 not the 2. We already saw what happened with Hughes we can't burn out Nova's arm either with overuse. Garcia will probably end up being the #2 starter.
    you would be mistaken if you don;t think the Yankees need to upgrade their rotation from what it was last season. Did their rotation pitch well most of the year? yes, but can you really again expect the same kinda performance the Yankees got from the likes of Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon. Plus the Yankees really didn't have to push their starters because of the performance they go out of guys like Luis Ayala and Corey Wade in the back end of the pen.

    Yankees have a big problem if Freddy Garcia and his 88-90 mph fastball is their #2 starter.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    you would be mistaken if you don;t think the Yankees need to upgrade their rotation from what it was last season. Did their rotation pitch well most of the year? yes, but can you really again expect the same kinda performance the Yankees got from the likes of Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon. Plus the Yankees really didn't have to push their starters because of the performance they go out of guys like Luis Ayala and Corey Wade in the back end of the pen.

    Yankees have a big problem if Freddy Garcia and his 88-90 mph fastball is their #2 starter.
    Yankees also have Banuelos in the minors. And who is this great upgrade that's out there? Buerhle doesn't want to come here. CJ Wilson will cost too much $$ and you probably get similar production out of Garcia for 1 yr at a fraction of the cost and you're not locked in to a long-term deal.

    Yankees aren't getting King Felix or any similar type of ace they'd have to offer Cano + prospects.

    Gio Gonzalez is probably the only pitcher who is actually a realistic target that makes sense and he will cost us either Hughes or Nova.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us