Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Yankees Hot Stove Thread (Try 2)

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What did George Steinbrenner refer to him as? That nickname is a polar opposite of prima donna.

Don't accuse someone of revising history just b.c you differ in opinion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prima+donna

a temperamental person; a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience.
    I think the definition matches up with what we all know about Paul OíNeil.

He was a great player during a great run for the Yankees but that does not mean he was a flawless human being.

The heart of your argument is a complement you canít remember that came from George Steinbrenner.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think the definition matches up with what we all know about Paul OíNeil.

He was a great player during a great run for the Yankees but that does not mean he was a flawless human being.
    Your description of O'Neil is not even close. Adulation and privileged treatment as a right? petulance to criticism?

you have no idea what you are talking about, nice troll effort though.

O'Neil displayed none of that. He complained about balls and strikes, got mad at himself when he made an out, played hurt, played when his father died, was uncomfortable with the fans making him out to be more than he was, was embarrassed that Steinbrenner called him a warrior.

I know you are a Met fan trying to get under the skin of Yankee fans, but on this, you are either totally ignorant of the man or trying to get a rise out of someone.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Your description of O'Neil is not even close. Adulation and privileged treatment as a right? petulance to criticism?

you have no idea what you are talking about, nice troll effort though.

O'Neil displayed none of that. He complained about balls and strikes, got mad at himself when he made an out, played hurt, played when his father died, was uncomfortable with the fans making him out to be more than he was, was embarrassed that Steinbrenner called him a warrior.

I know you are a Met fan trying to get under the skin of Yankee fans, but on this, you are either totally ignorant of the man or trying to get a rise out of someone.
    Ok.

I do not know him personally.

All I know was the guy often acted like a jerk (as seen on TV) and he drove in a ton of RBI's for the Yankees.

Ok.

I do not know him personally.

All I know was the guy often acted like a jerk (as seen on TV) and he drove in a ton of RBI's for the Yankees.
    It has nothing to do with knowing him personally. The definition you provided does not fit, so calling him a Prima Donna is off-base. Punching a gatorade cooler after making an out does not really match that definition.

In what ways did he "act like a jerk" that makes him a prima donna?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The guy to this day takes grief (with good humor) about how high strung he was. He was his own worst critic, and admittedly, a jerk at times. Certainly not a prima donna....a hot head at worst.

Are you trying to unseat Ernie from his throne atop bitter Met-fan troll-ie-itus mountain?

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The guy to this day takes grief (with good humor) about how high strung he was. He was his own worst critic, and admittedly, a jerk at times. Certainly not a prima donna....a hot head at worst.

Are you trying to unseat Ernie from his throne atop bitter Met-fan troll-ie-itus mountain?

-
    Tucker is insulted

All League
    -
    Fair enough.

-
    I am trying.

As the Yankees did not reach an agreement with Nakajima, this could open the door for the return of Eric Chavez.

That spot and the last couple relievers are the only spots remaining in play, barring trade.
    Noesi likely has the inside track on the long man spot, unless Garcia falls off a cliff in
    the spring. If Ayala is not resigned, that last spot could come down to in house guys like
    Kontos, Whelan or Mitchell, with Okajima and probably another couple veteran invites competing.

The only possible bench competition would be Cervelli and Romine for BUC, and
    Cervelli has to be the favorite going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    As the Yankees did not reach an agreement with Nakajima, this could open the door for the return of Eric Chavez.

That spot and the last couple relievers are the only spots remaining in play, barring trade.
    Noesi likely has the inside track on the long man spot, unless Garcia falls off a cliff in
    the spring. If Ayala is not resigned, that last spot could come down to in house guys like
    Kontos, Whelan or Mitchell, with Okajima and probably another couple veteran invites competing.

The only possible bench competition would be Cervelli and Romine for BUC, and
    Cervelli has to be the favorite going in.
    I don't see the point in carrying a 3rd catcher. Martin and Montero will due. If someone gets hurt.. you call someone up the next day. Prefer an extra bullpen arm. Especially with our rotation with 5-6 inning pitchers.

As of today:

Starters:
    C. Russell Martin
    1B. Mark Teixeira
    2B. Robinson Cano
    3B. Alex Rodriguez
    SS. Derek Jeter
    LF. Brett Gardner
    CF. Curtis Grandeson
    RF. Nick Swisher
    DH/C. Jesus Montero

Bench:
    IF. Eduardo Nunez
    OF. Andruw Jones
    IF. TBD (Eric Chavez?)
    OF. TBD

Rotation:
    LHP. CC Sabathia
    RHP. Ivan Nova
    RHP. Freddy Garcia
    RHP. Phil Hughes
    RHP. A.J. Burnett

Bullpen:
    RHP. Mariano Rivera
    RHP. David Robertson
    RHP. Rafael Soriano
    LHP. Boone Logan
    RHP. Joba Chamberlain (if he's ready)
    LHP. TBD (Someone please)
    RHP. Cory Wade
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 01-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    I don't see the point in carrying a 3rd catcher. Martin and Montero will due. If someone gets hurt.. you call someone up the next day. Prefer an extra bullpen arm. Especially with our rotation with 5-6 inning pitchers.

As of today:

Starters:
    C. Russell Martin
    1B. Mark Teixeira
    2B. Robinson Cano
    3B. Alex Rodriguez
    SS. Derek Jeter
    LF. Brett Gardner
    CF. Curtis Grandeson
    RF. Nick Swisher
    DH/C. Jesus Montero

Bench:
    IF. Eduardo Nunez
    OF. Andruw Jones
    IF. TBD (Eric Chavez?)
    OF. TBD

Rotation:
    LHP. CC Sabathia
    RHP. Ivan Nova
    RHP. Freddy Garcia
    RHP. Phil Hughes
    RHP. A.J. Burnett

Bullpen:
    RHP. Mariano Rivera
    RHP. David Robertson
    RHP. Rafael Soriano
    LHP. Boone Logan
    RHP. Joba Chamberlain (if he's ready)
    LHP. TBD (Someone please)
    RHP. Cory Wade
    When your second catcher is your everyday DH, you need a third catcher.

What if Martin gets hurt in the first inning of a game? You're ok with the pitcher hitting the rest of the way?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

What if Martin gets hurt in the first inning of a game? You're ok with the pitcher hitting the rest of the way?
    Yankees have a 3rd and 4th catcher with Cervelli and Romine. Cervelli will almost make this team cause I really don't see Montero catching all that much. Romine will probably start the year at Scranton and be called up or traded at some part of the season.

Mike

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeejetsfan View Post
    Yankees have a 3rd and 4th catcher with Cervelli and Romine. Cervelli will almost make this team cause I really don't see Montero catching all that much. Romine will probably start the year at Scranton and be called up or traded at some part of the season.

Mike
    That's my thinking too, I was disputing the thought that they'd only go with 2 catchers on the roster.

What are the odds of that happening? and if it does how many games does that effect? One game.

Jets Insider VIP
    What are the odds of that happening? and if it does how many games does that effect? One game.
    What are the odds of a catcher getting injured in a game? Really?

PS - Ask Chien Ming Wang how many games that can affect.

Jets Insider VIP
    PPS: if the Yankees were interested in carrying a catcher and a DH that can maybe catch once in a while, Posada and Martin would have been there last season without Cervelli.

PPS: if the Yankees were interested in carrying a catcher and a DH that can maybe catch once in a while, Posada and Martin would have been there last season without Cervelli.
    Posada was behind the plate in 1 game last season for 6 innings. He was no longer looked at as a catcher.

What are the odds of a catcher getting injured in a game? Really?

PS - Ask Chien Ming Wang how many games that can affect.
    Injured in the first inning of a game. And even if that does happen. BIG DEAL. It hurts 1 game. Cervelli or Romine are on a bus to NY before the night is over.

Explain your CMW reference because I don't get it...

this is why Montero should be turned into King Felix.

Jets Insider VIP
    Injured in the first inning of a game. And even if that does happen. BIG DEAL. It hurts 1 game. Cervelli or Romine are on a bus to NY before the night is over.

Explain your CMW reference because I don't get it...
    When your catcher gets hurt, and your DH switches to catcher, you lose the DH.

Do you want CC Sabathia running the bases because you wanted Cory Wade in the bullpen instead of Cervelli on the bench? Remember what happened when Wang ran the bases?

No team in their right mind is taking the risk you're talking about here. Especially for the sake of keeping a mop-up reliever on the roster.