Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Achtung Baby By The U2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The Achtung Baby By The U2

[IMG]http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2011/08/achtung-baby-deluxe-608x282.jpg[/IMG]

In honor of the 20th Anniversary of "Achtung Baby" U2 has released a massive boxed set filled with outtakes, b-sides, unreleased cuts, and remasters.

Disc 6 is the most interesting. Called "[I]Kindergarten - The Alternative Achtung Baby[/I]" it's an alternate track-for-track version of the whole LP with songs that are in their early stages, songs with alternate lyrics, songs stripped down, etc.

Here's a link where you can hear each song:

[url]http://onlineonthehorizon.blogspot.com/2011/10/kindergarten-alternative-achtung-baby.html[/url]

A great listen for U2 fans.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4215512][IMG]http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2011/08/achtung-baby-deluxe-608x282.jpg[/IMG]

In honor of the 20th Anniversary of "Achtung Baby" U2 has released a massive boxed set filled with outtakes, b-sides, unreleased cuts, and remasters.

Disc 6 is the most interesting. Called "[I]Kindergarten - The Alternative Achtung Baby[/I]" it's an alternate track-for-track version of the whole LP with songs that are in their early stages, songs with alternate lyrics, songs stripped down, etc.

Here's a link where you can hear each song:

[url]http://onlineonthehorizon.blogspot.com/2011/10/kindergarten-alternative-achtung-baby.html[/url]

A great listen for U2 fans.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Did you pick this up? I'm curious as to how well the remaster of the album proper sounds.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, when you said you were going to come here and make the hampur unbearable, you weren't kidding.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. I'll survive with my original copy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4216319]Man, when you said you were going to come here and make the hampur unbearable, you weren't kidding.[/QUOTE]

I larfed.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Intersting album/time period for the band. They had some big hits, but were complete rock outliers as alternative and the seattle sound defined the time and place. "One" is an iconic song, but really just happened to be there. Problem with this and subsequent U2 music is that it doesn't really evolve. After Joshua Tree, you have some really good u2 tracks and some really bad ones - but they are all generic by-product of the same sound.

U2's AB seemd like the begining of the band embracing adult contemporary. Wildly popular, but not really relevant.

Conversely, Mettalica's black album also came out, but seemingly was more in sych with where everything was going. Metallica and the mainstream were able to meet in the middle so it seemed right.

U2 was the band your older sister listened to.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 11-03-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4216319]Man, when you said you were going to come here and make the hampur unbearable, you weren't kidding.[/QUOTE]

You went all Smith Bros there. Straight lolzenges.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Look, they're no Coldplay, but Achtung Baby was a really good album. I like it when my bands throw a changeup. There's something comforting yet fresh when it happens. Except for Styx. That was bad. And Billy Joel too.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4216417]Look, they're no Coldplay, but Achtung Baby was a really good album. I like it when my bands throw a changeup. There's something comforting yet fresh when it happens. Except for Styx. That was bad. And Billy Joel too.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7ymneQewh1qzfjwwo1_500.png[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4216318]Did you pick this up? I'm curious as to how well the remaster of the album proper sounds.[/QUOTE]

No, just the alternative LP disc.

From those who've heard the remaster of the proper album, it's been gently remixed, mostly boosted for more clarity amongst the tracks. It was a deliberately muddled album, very layered and distorted, so by pumping up a sound here and there it gives it more 'space'.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything with the word "contemporary" is automatically relegated to gheyness.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4216318]Did you pick this up? I'm curious as to how well the remaster of the album proper sounds.[/QUOTE]

Update:

The remasters of [I]Achtung Baby[/I] and [I]Zooropa[/I] from the anniversary set are fabulous, a great improvement.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4217766]Update:

The remasters of [I]Achtung Baby[/I] and [I]Zooropa[/I] from the anniversary set are fabulous, a great improvement.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

No one cares, nerd. This thread is jr128-esque.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4217771]No one cares, nerd. This thread is jr128-esque.[/QUOTE]

+1

please dump and merge with the "teenage mutant ninja noses" thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4216424]No, just the alternative LP disc.

From those who've heard the remaster of the proper album, it's been gently remixed, mostly boosted for more clarity amongst the tracks. It was a deliberately muddled album, very layered and distorted, so by pumping up a sound here and there it gives it more 'space'.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Right on. Truthfully, I'm a more of a "clear" sound guy, especially in studio albums although I can appreciate that muddled sound as an artistic choice. I just like the clean studio sound so I can hear all the goodness on my system. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4217766]Update:

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SWEET, mine's on the way, should be here Monday, I look forward to A/B-ing between the old '91 version and the remaster. /end audio geek talk/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was put out by "The U2"?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4216359]Intersting album/time period for the band. They had some big hits, but were complete rock outliers as alternative and the seattle sound defined the time and place. "One" is an iconic song, but really just happened to be there. Problem with this and subsequent U2 music is that it doesn't really evolve. After Joshua Tree, you have some really good u2 tracks and some really bad ones - but they are all generic by-product of the same sound.

U2's AB seemd like the begining of the band embracing adult contemporary. Wildly popular, but not really relevant.

Conversely, Mettalica's black album also came out, but seemingly was more in sych with where everything was going. Metallica and the mainstream were able to meet in the middle so it seemed right.

U2 was the band your older sister listened to.[/QUOTE]

I just saw a documentary on showtime about the making of the album. It was very interesting, it talked about how a lot of things were different in making achtung baby, from location, group dynamics and personal relationships of the members.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;4218059]This was put out by "The U2"?[/QUOTE]

lmao... i just noticed that.

maybe SARS was actually talking about "The B52's?" :dunno:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=stagman;4218060]I just saw a documentary on showtime about the making of the album. It was very interesting, it talked about how a lot of things were different in making achtung baby, from location, group dynamics and personal relationships of the members.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFogh86sdq4[/url]

Yes, and the best part of that Showtime [I]Achtung Baby[/I] special is how they were jamming on the early formation of "Mysterious Ways" and stumbled upon a set of chords that they really liked. Switched to acoustic guitars, played those chords sequentially, and basically wrote "One" in about 15 minutes.

Amazing.

SAR I