Thread: Need a DirecTV HD receiver for an outside TV

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a DirecTV HD receiver for an outside TV

I need a DTV receiver for part-time use on weekends outside. Any recommendations for something relatively cheap? Should I go through DirecTV or are there other resellers that are options?

I need HD but DVR is optional. This box is primarily for watching NFL Sunday Ticket on an outdoor TV during BBQ's, etc. Haven't gotten a new receiver in years so I'm not sure what the best current options are.

Thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need pics of the backyard to see how far from the tv youll be.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4216764]I need a DTV receiver for part-time use on weekends outside. Any recommendations for something relatively cheap? Should I go through DirecTV or are there other resellers that are options?

I need HD but DVR is optional. This box is primarily for watching NFL Sunday Ticket on an outdoor TV during BBQ's, etc. Haven't gotten a new receiver in years so I'm not sure what the best current options are.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You need to go through DirecTV, but it's good news. For $5 or $10 a month (I forget) you can add extra DVR's with the same service level. Hook it up to another TV in the house and move it outdoors when you need it. Or, take any existing DVR outside for the 10x a year you need it and spend nothing.

The real expense here will be to get the coax cables from the dish to an outdoor location. The boxes aren't wireless, need an installer to run the cables, might need a dish upgrade too. DirecTV handles that.

There is a completely wireless and portable solution, but it's expensive.

[url]http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/search/results.jsp;jsessionid=B8CABD919E04EFF3256803DECB827DC3.bbmdotp-app35-58?cp=1&st=8355736&scValue=Y&sc=Global&ev=event41&channel=Enhanced&search=true&usearch=yes&usc=All+Categories&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid#Bestbuy/results[/url]

Slingbox might be the best solution if you have a laptop with an HDMI output and can live without HD.

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=slingbox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=slingbox&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=2tOzTtzmJurv0gH14J3cBA&ved=0CGEQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=5879510ef29d1a5&biw=768&bih=928[/url]

Lastly, and the cheapest/easiest way to go is The Big-Ass HDMI Cable strategy. Buy a very long HDMI cable from monoprice and run that one wire from your closest existing DVR to the outdoor TV.

[url]http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024006&p_id=2841&seq=1&format=2[/url]

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 11-04-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I already have the coax coming down from the satellite dish to the patio. Used to have a standard def box out there, so I don't need to risk quality issues with a Slingbox or other wifi-type solution.

When you talk about the $5 per month, are you talking about the receiver leasing option, SAR? I currently do that with my DTV HR21-700 in my living room.....never paid the few hundred dollars for the box, have just paid the $5 per month for the past couple years.

Are you familiar with the upgraded Tivo/DTV DVR options from WeaKnees? I've known about them for a while and the idea of a 1.5TB DirecTV DVR has always made me salivate....although that's not exactly what I'm looking for outside. Maybe I just move my current HR21 outside and buy one of these babies (HR24) for my living room???

[url]http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr.php#hr21[/url]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-04-2011 at 09:17 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's only a temporary move and if the outdoor coax is hooked up to the HD dish, just move the living room receiver outside and connect to that as long as you need it, just make sure its protected from the elements .

No need to pay D* extra $ for another box- I take my one HD box to tailgates and reconnect it inside when Im done

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4217159]If it's only a temporary move and if the outdoor coax is hooked up to the HD dish, just move the living room receiver outside and connect to that as long as you need it, just make sure its protected from the elements .

No need to pay D* extra $ for another box- I take my one HD box to tailgates and reconnect it inside when Im done[/QUOTE]

+1

That's exactly what I do with my Fios. Takes all of about 5 minutes to move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could also set up another (temporary) dish outside as well.

I use an unofficial knockoff based on the old 3 LNB dish that weighs a fraction of the current rig and works great just for ST at tailgates.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4217159]If it's only a temporary move and if the outdoor coax is hooked up to the HD dish, just move the living room receiver outside and connect to that as long as you need it, just make sure its protected from the elements .

No need to pay D* extra $ for another box- I take my one HD box to tailgates and reconnect it inside when Im done[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=petejet;4217187]+1

That's exactly what I do with my Fios. Takes all of about 5 minutes to move.[/QUOTE]

Good suggestions, but I need both. My Sunday BBQ usually has about 15-20 people and I put the big screen inside on Sunday Ticket Game Mix or a game of significant interest. Outside I have the Jets on or another game if the Jets aren't playing.

Bottom line - definitely need a new HD receiver for outside.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of service does your neighbor have? Just bury a line and add a splitter to his hookup. If its cable you dont even need a box.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4217302]What kind of service does your neighbor have? Just bury a line and add a splitter to his hookup. If its cable you dont even need a box.[/QUOTE]

I don't need to do that and it's my own NFL Sunday Ticket subscription I need access to. This isn't about stealing someone's cable or DTV, it's simply what options are available (and through others besides DirecTV) for a good HD DTV receiver.

I might just grab this one...

[url]http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/hd_receiver[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    look on craigslist