Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY IS MATTHEW MULLIGAN STILL A JET?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223064]it should be noted that Keller missed most of the first half with some kind of head issue that left Mulligan and Josh Baker

people want to cut him but they don't necessarily have a replacement all lined up. Mulligan is what he is a blocking TE/special teams guy.[/QUOTE]

I thought they signed the TE off the Bills practice squad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4223065]I thought they signed the TE off the Bills practice squad.[/QUOTE]

He's not a blocking TE.. more in the Jeff Cumberland mold.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223064]it should be noted that Keller missed most of the first half with some kind of head issue that left Mulligan and Josh Baker

people want to cut him but they don't necessarily have a replacement all lined up. Mulligan is what he is a blocking TE/special teams guy.[/QUOTE]

I think that most of us hope that Nelson can be the Mullian replacement (once he masters the playbook in a few weeks) and that Baker can continue to develop as the third TE.

Next year Cumberland will be back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lolepop;4222411]Rex must see something or else he would have been scuttled a long time ago.[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps Mulligan has pretty feet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4223228]I think that most of us hope that Nelson can be the Mullian replacement (once he masters the playbook in a few weeks) and that Baker can continue to develop as the third TE.

[B]Next year Cumberland will be back[/B].[/QUOTE]

Achilles injuries don't lead to much optimism for that. Especially a skill position player who relies on speed. I was excited about Cumberland and his future. Kind of bleak at the moment. I hope I'm 100% wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with your last paragraph and it should be noted that our depth took a blow when Cumberland was put on IR, but Mulligan should never be more than a 3rd TE on this team.

He has value on specials (namely KRs), but he is a liability out there on offense. We're stuck with him for this year, but the guy should not be getting offensive reps in 2012 and beyond.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4222518]i actually think it was westhoff. [/QUOTE]
    I think this is now referred to as the "McIntyre Effect."

This is where a player on the Jets who has JAG talent on offense or defense, is allowed to stay on the team because, according to Westhoff, he looks good running down the field on ST. He doesn't even have to make a tackle, or any play for that matter, on ST. He just has to look good running down the field.

That is all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223243]Achilles injuries don't lead to much optimism for that. Especially a skill position player who relies on speed. I was excited about Cumberland and his future. Kind of bleak at the moment. I hope I'm 100% wrong.[/QUOTE]

Ripoti is doing okay so far this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4223390]Ripoti is doing okay so far this year.[/QUOTE]

He has held up yes. That's why I pointed out that the injury has more of an impact on skill position players. It will be harder on Cumberland IMO. Not saying impossible. Just harder.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far back as the preseason games, I've posted here about wanting him off the team.

Even against scrubs, the guy would drop anything thrown his way and always had a drive-killing penalty or two.

But the truth is that he knows the playbook. When he's not committing a penalty, he's a very good blocker.

Still, his play is completely unacceptable. My guess is they'll cut him in the offseason and start fresh with a much more disciplined blocking TE in camp. This is where we miss a guy like Hartsock. Hopefully Cumberland stays healthy next year and this is just a distant memory.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think a quality #2 TE will be addressed in a regular free agency this offseason.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the NFL. Nobody's perfect, right? You go with the team you "got"; and get after people. I think blocking and tackling are the most fundamental parts to winning football games. The rest of it seems to go well when you take care of these first two elements. Take Mulligan with a grain of salt.

I wish Mully was Brent Jones, but he ain't. :(:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223380]I think this is now referred to as the "McIntyre Effect."
    [/QUOTE]

hey JOrdy don't look now but Garrett McIntyre was playing ILB on the goalline looks. real defense.

as for Mulligan he's far from perfect but he's big and strong. Team needs guys like that. Can't have 3 TE that all look like Keller, i.e. rocked up WR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223590]hey JOrdy don't look now but Garrett McIntyre was playing ILB on the goalline looks. real defense.

as for Mulligan he's far from perfect but he's big and strong. Team needs guys like that. Can't have 3 TE that all look like Keller, i.e. rocked up WR.[/QUOTE]

At some point though he has to stop committing drive killing penalties. If he cant do that, cut him. Plain and simple. Such penalties can mean the difference between advancing in the playoffs or not... or making the playoffs... for a role player limiting mistakes and NOT hurt the team is the most important thing. We dont need a pancake block from him on every play, he has to understand that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember a game where i'm not calling for his head. I'd love to know why Moore was ripping him a new one during the game though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223590]hey JOrdy don't look now but Garrett McIntyre was playing ILB on the goalline looks. real defense.

as for Mulligan he's far from perfect but he's big and strong. Team needs guys like that. Can't have 3 TE that all look like Keller, i.e. rocked up WR.[/QUOTE]

agreed on both points!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rayzor;4223613]I can't remember a game where i'm not calling for his head. I'd love to know why Moore was ripping him a new one during the game though.[/QUOTE]

as if MOORE has been playing at an all-pro level free from mistakes. EVERYONE makes mistakes and IMO chewing out another player on the field is wrong! That should be done in private if team unity is to prevail.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=halfsharkalligatorhalfman;4222434]He knows the playbook, that makes him better than any TE off the street by a wide margin in the short term. If Nelson shows he's got the goods over the next few weeks then he's expendable. But right now, cutting him would be a big mistake.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ with your 1st sentence. At least once last game Sanchez was having to wave his hands around like crazy to get mullet head to line up on the proper side of the formation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Gholston was big and strong.

Mulligan is on the other side of JAG. If you are a jag player and getting playing time you have to do your job to the best of your limited abilities and don;t cost your team.

Mulligan has consistently cost the team this year. Horrible drops when the other team is not covering him. Two terrible penalties a game that seem to inevitably cost the jets at least one big play a game. Having to be told where to line up on plays by the QB. Mulligan is fricking awful.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad blocking TE*