Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY IS MATTHEW MULLIGAN STILL A JET?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223590]hey JOrdy don't look now but Garrett McIntyre was playing ILB on the goalline looks. real defense.

as for Mulligan he's far from perfect but he's big and strong. Team needs guys like that. Can't have 3 TE that all look like Keller, i.e. rocked up WR.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice him on the goal line (not surprising since he apparently did nothing of note) but I saw him in on a couple of snaps midfield.

Are you going to try and convince me that he's a factor?

Give it up Bit. The guy is a JAG. Seriously. These guys (McIntyre and Mulligan) are no better than PS players, and that's even a stretch. JMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4223710]

Mulligan has consistently cost the team this year. Mulligan is fricking awful.[/QUOTE]

he's so terrible they won by 16 points.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223730] These guys (McIntyre and Mulligan) are no better than PS players, and that's even a stretch. JMO.[/QUOTE]

if they were PS players they'd be on the PS. I think the difference here is you prioritize speed more than strength. Both of these guys are strength players and a football team needs a certain amount of that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223731]he's so terrible they won by 16 points.[/QUOTE]

And Mulligan is a direct reason why they didn't win by 19 or 23. It is extremely likely that Mulligan won't have enough receptions to total 41 yards this season - 41 being the amount of yards he took off the table with his awful hold on the Greene run.

People make mistakes, and I realize you can't have an all-star at every position, but Mulligan results in more headaches than he creates. He's the worst kind of backup - a guy who's positive impact is negligible but whose negative impact is clearly visible.

He has more penalties than receptions this season. I'm sure that's part of the reason why three different Jets (including Schotty) were so vocal with him after the hold...here's a guy who contributes so little to the offense (blocking or receiving) but took away a huge play in a critical game while it was very much in question. Inexcusable.

As a 3rd TE, he can stay on the roster. But he should only be seeing snaps in short-yardage situations where he's not asked to do more that try to blow up the guy directly in front of him. And praising Mulligan for his good blocks is like praising a safety for running a guy out of bounds. Yeah, those plays are necessary, but any NFL-caliber player makes those plays.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenJoe;4223427]As far back as the preseason games, I've posted here about wanting him off the team.

Even against scrubs, the guy would drop anything thrown his way and always had a drive-killing penalty or two.

But the truth is that he knows the playbook. When he's not committing a penalty, he's a very good blocker.

Still, his play is completely unacceptable. My guess is they'll cut him in the offseason and start fresh with a much more disciplined blocking TE in camp. This is where we miss a guy like Hartsock. Hopefully Cumberland stays healthy next year and this is just a distant memory.[/QUOTE]

Hartsock had some drive killing penalties too. I will concede that it is easier to see a te or an uncovered tackle hold than a guard or center. still, with him it seems to be every game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4223752]I'm sure that's part of the reason why three different Jets (including Schotty) were so vocal with him after the hold...[/QUOTE]

Schotty tore him up. I was waiting for Mulligan to start crying...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rayzor;4223613]I can't remember a game where i'm not calling for his head. I'd love to know why Moore was ripping him a new one during the game though.[/QUOTE]

or, if you really need a backup blocking TE, bring in a reserve tackle or guard. I"ve thought vlad has actually looked okay in that role.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LAJET;4222305]This guy is awful. Cut his ass and send a message to guys like Wayne Hunter that stupidity and ineptitude will not be tolerated.

That is all. Great win yesterday. And yes, I know he put up a nice block on LT's TD...[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing about Hunter. He has to be the most penalized offensive lineman we have. What a marroon!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223731]he's so terrible they won by 16 points.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bitonti;4223734]if they were PS players they'd be on the PS. I think the difference here is you prioritize speed more than strength. Both of these guys are strength players and a football team needs a certain amount of that.[/QUOTE]

I can't have a discussion with you about these guys anymore. It literally makes me physically ill to read your posts. This CS has a degree of inherent stubborness, and it works both ways. They play guys and keep guys on the roster who have no business being there and they don't play guys or keep guys off the roster who should be there (eg. Maybin for the first few weeks).

Gholston was big and strong too. But he couldn't play football. He was ineffective. Hello Garrett McIntyre. The only difference is the draft position and the money. Mulligan and McIntyre are marginal players. This team needs and deserves to have better than marginal players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223787]I can't have a discussion with you about these guys anymore. It literally makes me physically ill to read your posts. This CS has a degree of inherent stubborness, and it works both ways. They play guys and keep guys on the roster who have no business being there and they don't play guys or keep guys off the roster who should be there (eg. Maybin for the first few weeks).

Gholston was big and strong too. But he couldn't play football. He was ineffective. Hello Garrett McIntyre. The only difference is the draft position and the money. Mulligan and McIntyre are marginal players. This team needs and deserves to have better than marginal players.[/QUOTE]

+1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    cant have allstars every where..jets need a blocking te..mully fits the bill for now..dont worry moore chewed his ass out good..hjes allowed to make mistakes..hes human, right?

we're all flawed after all

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;4223809]cant have allstars every where..jets need a blocking te..mully fits the bill for now..dont worry moore chewed his ass out good..hjes allowed to make mistakes..hes human, right?

we're all flawed after all[/QUOTE]
    I agree if the mistakes are not a pattern.

Otherwise, they shouldn't be on the 53, much less a starter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4223752]And Mulligan is a direct reason why they didn't win by 19 or 23. It is extremely likely that Mulligan won't have enough receptions to total 41 yards this season - 41 being the amount of yards he took off the table with his awful hold on the Greene run.

People make mistakes, and I realize you can't have an all-star at every position, but Mulligan results in more headaches than he creates. He's the worst kind of backup - a guy who's positive impact is negligible but whose negative impact is clearly visible.

He has more penalties than receptions this season. I'm sure that's part of the reason why three different Jets (including Schotty) were so vocal with him after the hold...here's a guy who contributes so little to the offense (blocking or receiving) but took away a huge play in a critical game while it was very much in question. Inexcusable.

As a 3rd TE, he can stay on the roster. But he should only be seeing snaps in short-yardage situations where he's not asked to do more that try to blow up the guy directly in front of him. And praising Mulligan for his good blocks is like praising a safety for running a guy out of bounds. Yeah, those plays are necessary, but any NFL-caliber player makes those plays.[/QUOTE]
    Mully makes decent blocks from time to time but his drive ending penalties are like fingernails on a chalkboard at no 11 on a marshall amp. Its migraine inducing

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Pats just released Dan Gronkowski, the blocking TE of the Gronkowski brothers. Possibility?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223787]
    Gholston was big and strong too. But he couldn't play football. [/QUOTE]

using this logic the Jets should only employ skinny and weak players. Ya know so they don't get another Gholston

by the way, watch that holding play again it was a marginal (home field) call at best. Guys hold worse than that all day every sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4223752]And Mulligan is a direct reason why they didn't win by 19 or 23. [/QUOTE]

this isn't college they don't get more points in the polls. a win is a win. Mulligan was a part of that win. What are we even complaining about?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223787]I can't have a discussion with you about these guys anymore. It literally makes me physically ill to read your posts. This CS has a degree of inherent stubborness, and it works both ways. They play guys and keep guys on the roster who have no business being there and they don't play guys or keep guys off the roster who should be there (eg. Maybin for the first few weeks).

Gholston was big and strong too. But he couldn't play football. He was ineffective. Hello Garrett McIntyre. The only difference is the draft position and the money. Mulligan and McIntyre are marginal players. This team needs and deserves to have better than marginal players.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bitonti;4223832]using this logic the Jets should only employ skinny and weak players. Ya know so they don't get another Gholston

by the way, watch that holding play again it was a marginal (home field) call at best. Guys hold worse than that all day every sunday.[/QUOTE]

Bringing Gholston into this argument is a losing statement.

IMO this thread is a little outrages. He is a back up and his problems are most definitely fixable. He need's to be coached up a little more, and is at a similar point in the road where Hartstock was when he was getting groomed as the blocking TE.

I agree that penalty was very marginal, but the whole offensive line in general, needs to fix the penalties because it will come back to burn us.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223835]this isn't college they don't get more points in the polls. a win is a win. Mulligan was a part of that win. What are we even complaining about?[/QUOTE]

So if he were to commit five holding penalties in a game that the Jets win by 3, we should be happy that they won and completely ignore the fact that the guy is a liability? Nobody said there was a poll involved, but the Jets aren't going to win comfortably like this every week. The Jets weren't up by 18 when he essentially took points off the board - it was a scoreless game.

Flash back to '09. Jets at home against Buffalo. Sanchez has the worst game of his life, but the team is still driving to win the game in OT. Jets have the ball at Buffalo's 20, and Thomas Jones rips off a 10-15 yarder to put them in easy FG range. The Jets are about to escape a 5-INT performance with a win.

Hartsock is called for holding. Net loss of about 25 yards, ultimately end up with a 45+ yarder that gets missed. Jets go on to lose.

THAT is what we're complaining about. The fact that Mulligan is a prime candidate for that kind of crushing penalty. And based on history, he's far more likely to be responsible for that kind of penalty than to be the guy who throws a key block on what ultimately becomes a huge run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4223815]I agree if the mistakes are not a pattern.

Otherwise, they shouldn't be on the 53, much less a starter.[/QUOTE]

agreed

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4223832][B]using this logic the Jets should only employ skinny and weak players. Ya know so they don't get another Gholston[/B]

by the way, watch that holding play again it was a marginal (home field) call at best. Guys hold worse than that all day every sunday.[/QUOTE]

Wow. If you're going to spin a conversation, at least be GOOD at it.

You can't be that obtuse.