Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandusky/Penn State Thread (MERGED)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post

how do you get the football team out there without looking ridiculous?

$$$$$$$$$

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    $$$$$$$$$
    Their $$$$ is allegedly complicit. What source are you referring to? Nike?

I quoted a BCS insider, anonymous of course, saying the NCAA will sit back and watch "their (PSU) house burn down" as they don't have to "do anything" to punish them.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Students deserve the BEST treatment; they need quick action from the University. But this is the point: the U has nothing to help them with at this point, am i rite? Their hands are tied.

I keep getting this notion that the students will just do it all themselves, leading to a Hollywood-style story.

The University can't help them this week or for the rest of the season. It will be up those in the locker room to come together and represent the University.

But you're right, the University does need to take swift action, I have to believe they will. They have no other choice.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The University can't help them this week or for the rest of the season. It will be up those in the locker room to come together and represent the University.

But you're right, the University does need to take swift action, I have to believe they will. They have no other choice.
    I will be their biggest fan! Well, certainly up there. I did get to watch Lance Mehl in person several times.

Hall Of Fame
    I think you are contradicting yourself; let me explain.

I think this is the way forward; timing is everything. Back the student body. Right now.

But: Where will they get the "clean" administration that can (rightfully) say "we have cleaned house"? This thing stinks up to the DONOR level. This will be the basis of the investigation.

Kids were molested; it's not a frat house prank gone horribly wrong. The depths of Penn State have to be plumbed for complicity - how do you get the football team out there without looking ridiculous?
    My views are certainly divergent, but more complimentary that contradictory.

Be firm, clean house, get the stench out. Not everyone is complicit, and those that can show surgically clean hands have to be the ones to pave the way forward.

But at the same time--be strong, firm and commit to rebuilding the honor of the University--and in being strong--you commit 1000% to rebuild the honor of their athletics.

Their sports programs are the biggest part of what Penn State is--if they suspend football they've given up--they're just some third tier state university in Podunk USA.

Besides, their student athletes ARE students--how would the Universaity look if they bailed on those with no blood on their hands?

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 11-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    My views are certainly divergent, but more complimentary that contradictory.

Be firm, clean house, get the stench out. Not everyone is complicit, and those that can show surgically clean hands have to be the ones to pave the way forward.

But at the same time--be strong, firm and commit to rebuilding the honor of the University--and in being strong--you commit 1000% to rebuild the honor of their athletics.

Their sports programs are the biggest part of what Penn State is--if they suspend football they've given up--they're just some third tier state university in Podunk USA.

Besides, their student athletes ARE students--how would the Universaity look if they bailed on those with no blood on their hands?

_
    That's the problem - what made Penn State so special is now the biggest obstacle. I think we are going to find out that a lot of people knew what was going on and a lot of people will be found to have turned the other way.

A good number of people in the PSU athletic and football programs are born and bred Happy Valleyians. Are we to believe that Tom Bradley, who inherited the DC job from Sandusky, and has been at PSU for years, had no inkling as to what was going on? They are going to have to bring in a whole team of investigators and literally interrogate everyone on the staff.

I'm certainly not in favor of a death penalty in this instance. But, we may see a virtual death penalty in that the program will have to start from scratch.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    On that note...

Former Penn State receiver and running back Rich Mauti organized what he hopes will be one of the largest gatherings of former Nittany Lions players to stand on the sideline ever, in an effort to show support for their embattled program.

Mauti sent emails to more than 800 former Nittany Lions and asked them to attend 12th-ranked Penn State's home finale against No. 19 Nebraska on Saturday. He wants players who took pride in wearing the school's classic blue-and-white uniforms, and fondly represented their university years after they played their final down, to return their thanks to a program -- not just former coach Joe Paterno -- that gave them so much.

By midweek, Mauti said about 75 players had agreed to attend.

"It's for the kids that have to go out there on Saturday," said Mauti, who played under Paterno from 1974-76 and went on to play in the NFL. "It's a show of support for that. It's not going to be banners and flags and bands. It's going to be the Penn State Way. It's going to be our presence. Hopefully, we get enough guys there that will mean something."

Mauti emphasized he's not forgetting or minimizing the scandal and possible cover-up centered on former assistant and one-time heir apparent Jerry Sandusky.

"I'm not condoning any activities that have been alleged. That's not the purpose," he said. "I'm trying to get everyone that has been through that program, that has had a positive experience, to support the kids and the program and the school at this juncture."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-rally-program

JetsInsider.com Legend
    On the other hand...

No, but another former Nittany Lion said he hasn't forgotten Sandusky, even as the former assistant coach stands accused of having sex with young boys.

Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.
    "I told him he's going to need a million dollars to defend himself," the 73-year-old Stellatella said. "He called me back and said, 'What am I going to do with this money?' I said, 'Use it for your lawyer because you're going to need it.' "

Stellatella sent Sandusky $100. He wrote personal letters to other members of the 1959 Liberty Bowl team that defeated a Bear Bryant-coached Alabama team and asked they also donate. He does not know how much money was raised.

"I know some of the guys sent money," Stellatella told The Associated Press. "Here's the thing, these are horrendous charges against him. But he's still entitled to his day in court. Everybody's prejudged him. He's done horrendous damage to Paterno and (athletic director Tim) Curley and the football program. I don't listen to the news and I don't read the reports of what he did because I would get too upset.

"But he's still entitled to his day in court."

That's a lone stance among a group of players who have been quick to distance themselves from Sandusky.

Believe it or not, every PENN STATE game now will be must-see TV because of this.

I had zero interest in College Football up to this point but now I'll at least watch some Penn State games if only to root for the players and students.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Believe it or not, every PENN STATE game now will be must-see TV because of this.

I had zero interest in College Football up to this point but now I'll at least watch some Penn State games if only to root for the players and students.
    The victims aside, I DO feel bad for the players. They put it out there every week and have done an admirable job this year, especially with an offensively challenged team, to get to #12. This week's events have absolutely nothing to do with them and what they've accomplished this season. They are innocent bystanders in this whole mess. I think it's pretty cool for former players to come and stand on the sidelines with them to give them some support.

They're certainly not an exciting team to watch but tomorrow's game will definitely draw a huge viewing audience IMO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The victims aside, I DO feel bad for the players. They put it out there every week and have done an admirable job this year, especially with an offensively challenged team, to get to #12. This week's events have absolutely nothing to do with them and what they've accomplished this season. They are innocent bystanders in this whole mess. I think it's pretty cool for former players to come and stand on the sidelines with them to give them some support.

They're certainly not an exciting team to watch but tomorrow's game will definitely draw a huge viewing audience IMO.
    From what I understand, most/many of the players didn't even know who Sandusky was. Even if they saw him around campus or working out on a rare occasion, they just viewed him as the old, white-haired guy. Coulda been a janitor, coulda been a philosophy professor.

To us fans, Sandusky is synonomous with Penn State football. But, to the current crop of players, they were under 10 when he left the program. So, for them, this really came out of the blue.

Jets Insider VIP
    I have no idea if it was, just busting balls but I do think Warfist was talking about it earlier in the thread.

Pretty interesting coincidence. Can you imagine if it's connected?

Wow.

_
    Got to be connected, if not directly, then indirectly where the guy killed himself so he WAS NOT THE ONE to bring down the football equivalent of the Catholic Church (that is what is was called in PA, as there was nothing bigger than PSU Football

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    From what I understand, most/many of the players didn't even know who Sandusky was. Even if they saw him around campus or working out on a rare occasion, they just viewed him as the old, white-haired guy. Coulda been a janitor, coulda been a philosophy professor.

To us fans, Sandusky is synonomous with Penn State football. But, to the current crop of players, they were under 10 when he left the program. So, for them, this really came out of the blue.
    They sure know who he is now, the man who was always by the showers.... sick crap... just wait for stories to come out from the current team after they are out of PSU...

I have a question about this story. I've been following it pretty closely and I kinda feel like JoePa is getting scapegoated. Please don't jump down my throat or call me insensitive to the victims, maybe i'm missing something. Here is my understanding. A graduate assistant who is now the wide receivers coach walked in on Sandusky diddeling some little kid in the PSU locker room. He reported it to Paterno. Paterno reported it to the university president. We don't know what Paterno was told. If all he was told was that this grad assistant saw Sandusky in the shower with a kid, then what did JoePa do so wrong by reporting it to the university president and allowing the process to take it's course? Until we know exactly what Paterno was told how can we place so much blame on him? Hasn't the man throughout the last half century through his actions earned the benefit of the doubt? Shouldn't we at least get all the facts before we villafy him? Am I missing part of this story? I'm not a Penn State fan, I don't have a dog in the fight. I was as shocked and angered as anyone by what happened to these children I just hope we are not tarnishing the legacy of a good man because we are mad and want to see people punished.
    Last edited by CharlotteJetsGuy; 11-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteJetsGuy View Post

Please don't jump down my throat or call me insensitive to the victims, maybe i'm missing something.

Here is my understanding. A graduate assistant who is now the wide receivers coach walked in on Sandusky diddeling some little kid in the PSU locker room.
    Pfail.

Stopped reading right there.

You said you've "been following it [this story] pretty closely".

What part of this did you miss?

Sandusky, a 55 year old man was ANALY RAPING A 10 YEAR OLD BOY IN THE SHOWER.

What part of that is "diddleing" "some" "little kid"?

_

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Hopefully, none of them went to his camp.

Bewildered Beast
    Pfail.

Stopped reading right there.

You said you've "been following it [this story] pretty closely".

What part of this did you miss?

Sandusky, a 55 year old man was ANALY RAPING A 10 YEAR OLD BOY IN THE SHOWER.

What part of that is "diddleing" "some" "little kid"?

_
    Check yourself, Barrister. Maybe some due diligence on your adversary is on order.

Hall Of Fame
    Check yourself, Barrister. Maybe some due diligence on your adversary is on order.
    Troll?

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteJetsGuy View Post
    I have a question about this story. I've been following it pretty closely and I kinda feel like JoePa is getting scapegoated. Please don't jump down my throat or call me insensitive to the victims, maybe i'm missing something. Here is my understanding. A graduate assistant who is now the wide receivers coach walked in on Sandusky diddeling some little kid in the PSU locker room. He reported it to Paterno. Paterno reported it to the university president. We don't know what Paterno was told. If all he was told was that this grad assistant saw Sandusky in the shower with a kid, then what did JoePa do so wrong by reporting it to the university president and allowing the process to take it's course? Until we know exactly what Paterno was told how can we place so much blame on him? Hasn't the man throughout the last half century through his actions earned the benefit of the doubt? Shouldn't we at least get all the facts before we villafy him? Am I missing part of this story? I'm not a Penn State fan, I don't have a dog in the fight. I was as shocked and angered as anyone by what happened to these children I just hope we are not tarnishing the legacy of a good man because we are mad and want to see people punished.
    Problem is that in 2002, when the event you describe happened, Sandusky had already been investigated for molestation, and forced to retire, etc., so this wasn't an isolated incident - they KNEW it was happening. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that they felt the 1998 incident was a one-time thing (never is) or maybe it was misconstrued; even if either is true, and they see NOTHING questionable in between (highly, highly unlikely) - when Paterno hears that Sandusky was naked in the PSU Football locker room showers with a naked 10 year old boy, EVEN IF THAT'S ALL HE HEARD, he has to do more. Anyone does, but Joe Paterno does for sure, if he is who we think he is, who he claims to be.

I've said here before that I think his fame has shifted the media focus, that if he were Lowe's CEO and Sandusky was his CFO, the story would be about Sandusky and maybe the culture/society that allowed this, but a scapegoat? No way, he didn't do what he should have, what I believe most people would have. Same, multiplied, for McQueary.

Troll?

_
    Maybe he's making fun of you for mis-spelling "ANALLY"? Or am I the one who just mis-spelled it? LOL.