Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Sandusky/Penn State Thread (MERGED)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    some of the speculation that i've heard discussed that makes sense to me is that it was part of the deal paterno made with sandusky. you have to retire and never take another job (we will let u keep your office) and we won't turn you in.
    But why allow him access to the facilities? Why give him an office? That's like firing a company official for embezzling but letting him keep his office and network access. I really hope when Curley and Spanier go on trial they
    get asked this stuff. I'm surprised it wasn't in the Freeh report.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree fully with every one of the sanctions. I thought the NC Board thought this through and delivered the correct decisions.
    The Big Ten followed up with a decision to hold back Penn State's share pf post season money and put THAT in a fund for sexual abuse victims. $13 mill.
    The party is just beginning. There are probably going to be 50 or so victims. This will be a mass tort - just like a bad drug lawsuit. PSU, the past pres, AD, VP of security, Sandusky's assets and Paterno's estate will be hit. Total from a lawyer indicated he's looking at $10mill per. Puff talk, but $2mill per is easy to grasp. Joe tried to hide $ at the end and also got a post mortem $5+mill. That's in play. PSU's share is probably $70-75mill.

On one point I disagree with Warfish. This IS a football matter. Football should take the beating. Not the other sports. Women's tennis and cross country should suffer? Men's golf? No way. I am glad that PSU is forbidden to reduce scholarships or funding in any other spport or academics. Let them take money out of the b\uilding fund.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question for anybody that is familiar with the law.

I've heard people say that even if Paterno went to them police, they could not have legally accepted his complaint because he was neither a witness nor a victim.

Is this true? And if it is, doesn't that contradict the statement of him "being able to do more"?

P.S. - In no way am I defending Joe Pa, I'm just asking outta curiosity

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paterno knew what Sandusky was doing. There is no question about that.

Yet he was still remained an honorary member of the Second Mile Foundation that Sandusky created to help disadvantaged children. Sandusky used this foundation to get kids.

So let's forget about what Joe might not have been able to do and think about what he could have done.

And Paterno certainly wielded an incredible amount of power at Penn State and if he had done more, Sandusky most certainly would have been prevented from doing much of what he did.

His silence spoke volumes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The football program made massive amounts of money for the school. One of the reasons for the coverup at the highest levels was for this reason. Totally deserved, you don't profit from covering up crimes like these.
    Right. So fine the hell out of them. Take their money. The profits you are talking about. But don't punish the players and coaches who had nothing to do with this by nullifying their wins. Nullifying what THEY did on the field. To me, that's bull****.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Right. So fine the hell out of them. Take their money. The profits you are talking about. But don't punish the players and coaches who had nothing to do with this by nullifying their wins. Nullifying what THEY did on the field. To me, that's bull****.
    You're coming off badly here; Pac-12 coaches are still turning the conversation to the victims...let it go for a few years...yes, you have a very valid point.

It's time to lock this thread. I'll go beg the opinions of other mods.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The news has come in; it's all water under the bridge with the fines etc.

Out of respect to the victims I am locking this thread. Our opinions seem ridiculous in light of the suffering that was hidden in plain daylight. Truly a tragedy.

DO NOT start another, similar thread without first pm'ing your request to your favorite mod. You will take a vacation.

Don't PM me; you have my answer in front of you.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 07-25-2012 at 02:33 PM.