Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandusky/Penn State Thread (MERGED)

Jets Insider VIP

Paterno needs to resign-now

Horrific situation at Penn State. He needs to quit. Cmon he had to know. its disgusting.

All League
    I know Mike Francessa isn't popular here but this is worth listening to.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqa9O...layer_embedded

What a shame he had to ruin his legacy like this. If Tressel went down for some tattoo scandle, Paterno should be gone by tomorrow morning..

Imagine had this happened at Notre Dame with all the catholic and TD Jesus stuff.

but yeah, JoPa needs to sail into the sunset.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I know Mike Francessa isn't popular here but this is worth listening to.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqa9O...layer_embedded
    Listened to the first five minutes but I didn't hear anything new or insightful there. Just, the same shocked, angry reaction everyone else is expressing. It's 40 minutes long. was there something that caught your ear?

it's so disgusting what happened, I read the grand jury report today and can't get the details out of my mind. Paterno was told by a graduate assistant that he saw Sandusky with a ten year old boy in the shower, and Paterno just told the AD and did nothing more. Knowing what he knew, he still maintained a relationship with Sandusky who was reported to be at the Penn State weight room last week. I read also that the graduate assistant later became a a recruiter for Penn State and the "investigation" by PSU only led to Sandusky losing his locker room keys. Theres no way Paterno couldn't have known more than he learned from the incident he was told about in 2002. Was he once a great coach? Yes. But how he could not have done more than tell the AD is beyond me....imagine if he had done more if anyone had done more, other kids would have been spared. I don't get how there was so much outrage about Tressel and the tattoos but on ESPN they barely talk about Paterno's role in all of this. What would JoePa have done if one of those kids were his own? Personally if I was that 28 year old graduate assistnat and i saw that sick old man in the shower with a kid id beat the f*ck out of him until the cops showed up. /rant

Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    it's so disgusting what happened, I read the grand jury report today and can't get the details out of my mind. Paterno was told by a graduate assistant that he saw Sandusky with a ten year old boy in the shower, and Paterno just told the AD and did nothing more. Knowing what he knew, he still maintained a relationship with Sandusky who was reported to be at the Penn State weight room last week. I read also that the graduate assistant later became a a recruiter for Penn State and the "investigation" by PSU only led to Sandusky losing his locker room keys. Theres no way Paterno couldn't have known more than he learned from the incident he was told about in 2002. Was he once a great coach? Yes. But how he could not have done more than tell the AD is beyond me....imagine if he had done more if anyone had done more, other kids would have been spared. I don't get how there was so much outrage about Tressel and the tattoos but on ESPN they barely talk about Paterno's role in all of this. What would JoePa have done if one of those kids were his own? Personally if I was that 28 year old graduate assistnat and i saw that sick old man in the shower with a kid id beat the f*ck out of him until the cops showed up. /rant
    Man this is so sad. What a scumbag this Sundusky SOB is. He deserves no mercy if found guilty

Hall Of Fame
    I'm in denial over this.

As a human being I am embarrassed for humanity. To call him an animal is unfair to animals. Only people are capable of this.

Sandusky will burn in hell with a pineapple up his @$$.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Listened to the first five minutes but I didn't hear anything new or insightful there. Just, the same shocked, angry reaction everyone else is expressing. It's 40 minutes long. was there something that caught your ear?
    I can't stand fatso but I wanted to here Kim Jones because she went to Penn State and covered them too. So I skipped through it quick and caught some good stuff.

Listen from the 15:45 mark through the 22 minute mark.

He should be aloud to finish the season and retire with respect IMO. He is not a suspect and no charges will be filed on him at all. PS does need to clean house but they do not need to jump on a guy who is testifying right now to put the real guilty parties in jail. Should he have gone to the police yes but his bosses should have gone to the police when he went to them. So because they didn't do their jobs Joe just looks bad for not reporting them. This was a breakdown well above Joes head. Bad situation but Joe Pa was one of the few that actually did report something. He will likely retire but should be aloud to do it right.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He should be aloud to finish the season and retire with respect IMO. He is not a suspect and no charges will be filed on him at all. PS does need to clean house but they do not need to jump on a guy who is testifying right now to put the real guilty parties in jail. Should he have gone to the police yes but his bosses should have gone to the police when he went to them. So because they didn't do their jobs Joe just looks bad for not reporting them. This was a breakdown well above Joes head. Bad situation but Joe Pa was one of the few that actually did report something. He will likely retire but should be aloud to do it right.
    Read the grand jury report and see if you feel the same way.

I love Joe Pa. Dreamed of playing for him as a kid. Actually attended several Penn State football camps. Joe Pa had no bosses at PSU. He ran the show. He knew. Could have saved many innocent children from getting raped had he no thought of himself first.

We are talking about children. Children. Children

paterno does not need to resign. from the info I have, Paterno was told about this and worked it up the chain of command who did nothing with the info.

Paterno did what he was supposed to do and that was alert his superiors within the university.

he has been fully cooperative with the investigation.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I just read the grand jury report.

Paterno should go to jail. Curley should go to jail. Sandusky should be beaten to death.

JoePa's legacy is hereby ruined. **** him. I hope he resigns this week, in shame, and slinks out of society forever. ****ing scumbag.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I can't stand fatso but I wanted to here Kim Jones because she went to Penn State and covered them too. So I skipped through it quick and caught some good stuff.

Listen from the 15:45 mark through the 22 minute mark.
    Thanks CF.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-08-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    paterno does not need to resign. from the info I have, Paterno was told about this and worked it up the chain of command who did nothing with the info.

Paterno did what he was supposed to do and that was alert his superiors within the university.

I have been a big Penn St fan since the days of Curt Warner and Joe Pa is a legend, bu he should retire for more than just this. He is just a figurehead at this point. You watch him in the booth during the game and he looks like a fan. He doesn't seem to be involved at all in the game and it is getting a little embarrassing. Factor in this latest scandal and I think his time is up, it just sucks that it will have to end this way.

The more I think about it, he will probably try to stay on one more year so he doesn't end his career with this controversy as his final chapter.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The more I think about it, he will probably try to stay on one more year so he doesn't end his career with this controversy as his final chapter.
    He could stay 10 more years and it wouldn't eliminate this.

Paterno ****ed up.

He reported it to his coworker. His responsibility was to call the police. He's complicit in raping kids now, there's no way around that.

There's no chain of command for reporting felonies. If you're aware that a kid has been raped, you go to the law, not your boss. If you don't, guess what? You're an accessory now. That's how it works.

And this was going on for a long time. Apparently, Sandusky started a charity for young boys and would use it to get them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post

what paterno did in going up the chain (if there really is any with him at PSU) is like witnessing a murder and just screaming stop. If you were in his position and you get all this information, would you really just go with chain of command? maybe you would, but i know myself and probobly the majority of this site wouldnt.

this is all assuming that he had no further knowledge, which i dont see as likely. this isn't any head coach and a random assistnat. This is a guy who is penn state and his former coordinator who coached and played side by side with joepa for 25+ years, Sandusky was even the perieved coach in waiting in the nineties before retiring at 55....i know that we should only judge by the facts we have, but to think that paterno had no further knowledge of what was going on with his top coordinator and his friend for a quarter of a century is not realistic to me. i have alot of respect for paterno the coach, but paterno the man is just as bad as the AD and VP who did nothing and now have lost their jobs. Paterno should be next in line, whether hes a hall of fame coach or not.

if this was joe shmo at bowling green he would have been canned and hunted down for the same thing that paterno's being defended for. forget the accolades and the position he holds, as another poster said this is children were talking about, kids who were apart of a charity for unprivileged youths who needed strong support in role models and taken advantage of by the very man who started the charity (sandusky). Paterno may not have touched those kids, but he is as responsible for this monster being able to walk this streets this long as everyone else who didn't do a damn thing.

Sandusky is a very sick and troubled person. How others condone this brutal behavior against fellow human beings...no less children...is disgusting. Yes, by not taking the appropriate actions against Sandusky, the others sanctioned his brutal/criminal behavior including university officials -- the President of the University.

Penn State is a public school. Therefore, these brutal acts were sanctioned by the state since university employees are state employees and that is a taxpayer funded university.

I just cannot imagine what human being can do this to another person especially innocent children. If I found Sandusky in the shower raping a boy, God help me, but I would beat the living hell out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I have been a big Penn St fan since the days of Curt Warner and Joe Pa is a legend, bu he should retire for more than just this. He is just a figurehead at this point. You watch him in the booth during the game and he looks like a fan. He doesn't seem to be involved at all in the game and it is getting a little embarrassing. Factor in this latest scandal and I think his time is up, it just sucks that it will have to end this way.

The misconception that JoePa can not, or does not, "coach" has been perpetuated by those shots of him in the booth during th games. I can asure the guy still "coaches". He is very much "hands on" (no pun) with his players and as active as his aging body and doctors will allow. Heck, this is the precise reason he keeps getting injured. During the last spring practice he was jumping into drills and demostrating proper technique to linemen.

That said, he's done. He must realize that his singleminded pursuit of football has caused him to neglect his duties to his community. I'm confused why he does not realize that as a "molder of young men" (no pun) he has to hold himself to a higher standard than simply what the law and PSU procedures requires. A younger JoePa would be ashamed of this man.

I only hope he comes to this realization and resigns admitting he failed in his obligation to hold himself to the highest possible standards and while he did what was required of him under the law and university procedures (on advice of counsel) he failed to live up to his own standards because, perhaps, the overall demands of the job beyond just coaching football are too taxing for a man of his age.

What I can't get my hands around is that JoePa knew something was down with Sandusky. I mean, he knew the man for what 30 years? If it's me, I'm a little more "curious" about the allegations. Why did he never ask "Hey Jerry, what's up with this stuff I hear about you and little boys in the showers?"

I always felt that JoePa's brash personality was a mix of his toughness and aging. However, at this point, I'm beginning to wonder if this man cares about anything other than his record.