Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Sports Radio

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Best/Worst Sports Radio

Michael Kaye
    Steve Somers
    Joe Benigno (sp.)
    Mike Fatcessa
    Stephon A. Smith
    Carlton the rat
    Boomer
    The Heard
    Rome
    Mike and Mike
    Farrell...stone guy on Serius
    Mad Dawg
    ---etc

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worst--Stephen A. Smith I can't believe he's back! He knows nothing outside of Basketball and his voice is really annoying!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shark99;4226917]Michael Kaye
    Steve Somers
    Joe Benigno (sp.)
    Mike Fatcessa
    Stephon A. Smith
    Carlton the rat
    Boomer
    The Heard
    Rome
    Mike and Mike
    Mad Dawg
    ---etc[/QUOTE]

So who do you like?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Steven A. is tough to listen to, but the worst has to be Mike Lupica -- reminds me of those little lap dogs who are constantly yapping to get attention.

Leaving the Jets out of it, my biggest problem with Francesca is he always sounds like he's on his death bed, and he's doing his listeners a favor by getting up the strength to share his infinite wisdom.

I don't mind the gimmick ones (Mike/Mike, TMKS) -- they're good for laughs, not much else.

In the end, I don't listen to ANYONE for "information" -- that's what JI is for;).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shark99;4226925]Worst--Stephen A. Smith I can't believe he's back! He knows nothing outside of Basketball and his voice is really annoying![/QUOTE]

The "screaming preacher" bit is definitely tired, but no one is worse than Michael Kay. How this guy has a radio show, and is the voice of the Yankees, is one of our world's great mysteries. Listening to Kay and LaGreca for more than a minute or two is impossibly ponderous and infuriating.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's really simple, just don't listen.

i listen to weei in the morning not because they talk patsies (since they are patsie homers) but they also mix in other subject. i do not listen to them in the sfternoons because then it's all patsie homerdom.

as for the listed talking heads, they got you listening otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Kaye- horrible, don't listen to him

Steve Somers- he's okay. not a big fan of his schtick

Joe Benigno (sp.)- he's decent. like him because he likes the same teams as me (jets, mets, rangers,knicks)

Mike Fatcessa- hate his views on the jets and thinks very highly of himself. Been listening to him for years and years and there's no other alternative. I like his views on the Knicks and I like the fact that he's hard on the Mets.

Stephon A. Smith-Unlistenable

Carlton the rat- Him and boomer are my favorite show on the radio. I'm a loyal listener and I think Carton is hilarious and they are entertaining.

The Heard-Been listening to him more. Only ESPN personality I listen to for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Rome- sucks

Mike and Mike- only listen to them when Boomer and Carton are on commercial. They're not bad

Farrell...stone guy on Serius- Hated him on the early days on Daily News Live and the Wheelhouse

Mad Dawg- Don't listen to him anymore.
    ---etc

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Adam Schein/Rich Gannon on Sirius. Always have good guests.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4226937]
    In the end, I don't listen to ANYONE for "information" -- that's what JI is for;).[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="5"]DAMN RIGHT!!!![/SIZE][/B]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;4226948]I like Adam Schein/Rich Gannon on Sirius. Always have good guests.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of the show. Schein is even more entertaining on there than on SNY

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4226937]Yeah, Steven A. is tough to listen to, but the worst has to be Mike Lupica -- reminds me of those little lap dogs who are constantly yapping to get attention.

Leaving the Jets out of it, my biggest problem with Francesca is he always sounds like he's on his death bed, and he's doing his listeners a favor by getting up the strength to share his infinite wisdom.

I don't mind the gimmick ones (Mike/Mike, TMKS) -- they're good for laughs, not much else.

[B]In the end, I don't listen to ANYONE for "information" -- that's what JI is for[/B];).[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I feel. We get information on topics ranging from Jets/football issues to natural disasters (the latest WCO named a JI moderator) faster than most news reporting entities. The evening newscast, once the gold standard for any information related to the Jets, is not relevant after being on the board all day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't see how Carton is funny. I would think he would appeal to people under 25. His humor is juvenile. You can tell he listened to Howard Stern growing up, and does an extremely poor version.

Jody McDonald is a favorite of mine, very balanced.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Kaye - Yankees Homer and knows nothing about football. Legreca is better when Kay is out

Steve Somers - Not bad, a bit long winded
    Joe Benigno (sp.)- My favorite of this group
    Mike Fatcessa - Unlistenable since mad dog left
    Stephon A. Smith - Can be funny sometimes but only in short spurts
    Carlton the rat - Not a fan. They rarely do in depth sports talk. WAY too much schtick. Carlton has no sports expertise or credibility.
    Boomer - Would be better paired with Chris Carlin or someone more legitimate.
    Mike and Mike - Easily my favorite national show. Perfect mix of serious sports talk and humor/entertainment. Lots of football talk
    Farrell...stone guy on Serius - Hate the sound of his voice, unlistenable
    Mad Dawg - If I want to hear tennis expertise I would check his show. Problem is that Tennis bores me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Kaye - comes across as a pompous a-hole. Can't listen. His voice is obnoxious.

Steve Somers - Immediatly reach for the buttons to change the station.

Joe Benigno (sp.) - Ok, but the Bro stuff has to go.
    Mike Fatcessa - even though he is an arrogant, pretenious fat slob that hates the jets, he's still the best thing out there.

Stephon A. Smith- See Somers.

Carlton the rat- funny. Listen sometimes.

Boomer - very good

The Heard - never heard of the heard

Rome- Jim ( or is it Chris) Everette should have punched him out years ago.

Mike and Mike - OK Listen sometimes when Bonnie Quin on Bloomberg is stuttering through the news and Boomer and Carton are talking Giants or Mets.

Farrell...stone guy on Serius- see Somers.

Mad Dawg - I'd listen but don't have serius

Banned
    Travelling mostly, folks are back in Cali.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy used to do talk radio, back in the early 90's public radio, and he did public access football show, it was in Bridgeport Connecticut I believe, he was really quite good before the drug addiction took away his talent, really pisses me off to think about wasted talent. Sorry for the rant this thread just got me thinking about him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shark99;4226917]Michael Kaye
    Steve Somers
    Joe Benigno (sp.)
    Mike Fatcessa
    Stephon A. Smith
    Carlton the rat
    Boomer
    The Heard
    Rome
    Mike and Mike
    Mad Dawg
    ---etc[/QUOTE]

The Mike and Mike Show is the most entertaining and informative sports show on the radio. The hosts are likeable but what sets the show apart from the rest is their ability to get many A+ guests for each sport.

Boomer is great in the morning but Carlton ruins the show for anyone that wants to hear informative sports talk and tires of bathroom and girl jokes all morning.

Francesa is well documented here; excellent knowledge of most of the sports and does his homework. But his ego is out of control on some days to the point where he is condecending to the callers and listeners. On those days you can tell how much he needs a partner.

Call me when Steven A. Smith learns a sport other then basketball (and who really cares that much about the NBA anyway). His comment about kicking a field goal on third down so that if its missed, you can try again is unforgivable for a sports talk host employed by ESPN.

Somers and Benigno are fan favorites but don't offer any more then the average fan who sits on their couch watching the games. They are nice guys who have been around forever but they generally do not add anything of substance in regards to analysis.

Jim Rome is a clown who thinks he is hip and cool. Not as likeable as Benigno and Somers and does not add to your knowledge base. All flash.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 11-11-2011 at 11:58 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;4226955]I just don't see how Carton is funny. I would think he would appeal to people under 25. His humor is juvenile. You can tell he listened to Howard Stern growing up, and does an extremely poor version.

Jody McDonald is a favorite of mine, very balanced.[/QUOTE]...+1

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ruocco and Loumberg are great

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come to Tampa and listen to sports radio down here. You'll appreciate what you have in New York so much more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;4226955]I just don't see how Carton is funny. I would think he would appeal to people under 25. His humor is juvenile. You can tell he listened to Howard Stern growing up, and does an extremely poor version.

Jody McDonald is a favorite of mine, very balanced.[/QUOTE]

Carton i find annoying...boomer is all right! its funny how he rags on Carton who is a pervert lol