Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Sports Radio

All League
    Michael Kaye - love the Yankee part. Know zero about anything else.
    Steve Somers - Shmooze is a NYC legend. Still, an hour is about all I can handle after all these years.
    Joe Benigno (sp.) - big fan. He has lived the Jets fans life.
    Mike Fatcessa - :steamin: D*CK!!
    Stephon A. Smith - brutal. He comes on, radio goes off.
    Carlton the rat - Listen every day. He & Blondie are the best and seem to like working with each other. Crack me up every morning.
    Boomer - see above.
    The Heard - dooshay. Anti East Coast, Yankee, Jet and Notre Dame so that makes him dead to me.
    Rome - west coast weenie. Click.
    Mike and Mike - unfunny ESPN shills. Act wore thin years ago.
    Farrell...stone guy on Serius - lock uh duh week! Was only in NYC for a cup of coffee so no feeling either way.
    Mad Dawg - who???? ;) bad career move, tennis boy.
    ---etc

Mike and Mike - excellent entertaining show. The guests are top-notch, they feed off each other well, and a LOT of football talk. Lot of national sports talk which is good because the local shows focus way too much on baseball (which sucks if you aren't a baseball fan like me). Greenberg gets a little annoying sometimes and tries to be "Joe Everyman Fan" sometimes and he comes off like his sports knowledge is not very good. Golic is excellent and knows a lot about sports outside of football.

Michael Kaye Show - he can get a little annoying, but he's funny and has good rapport with LaGreca, who steals the show. LaGreca knows his stuff and is a good host. Kaye is a Yankees homer, but what else would you expect?

Boomer and Carton - Boomer does a great job and is very knowledgeable about football. Gets annoying when he rbings up hockey all the time. Carton is an absolute disgrace to sports talk radio. Listening to him shamelessly hit on 20-something girls on the program is embarrassing for a sports talk show. Boomer must be cringing every day at work, I feel bad he has to put up with that joke of a co-host. I'm ashamed to have Carton as a fellow Jet fan.

Beningo and Roberts - great show, but I rarely catch it. Beningo gets a little whiny sometimes with the woe is me act, but Roberts is a good up and comer. Lot of good local sports talk on this one.

Francesa - absolutely unlistenable. You would only tune into this show for two reasons: 1) you want to hear nonstop baseball talk 12 months a year by a pompous Yankees homer or 2) you hate the Jets and want to listen to somebody bash them for no reason.

Steven A. Smith - pretty good show, but he gets a bit annoying when he berates listeners and interrupts. I catch this show a lot, it's usually on when I get out of work. He's actually pretty knowledgeable about sports other than basketball, which not a lot of people give him credit for. I think he does a good job overall.

Steve Somers - can't get past the voice, I turn him off the second I hear it. Thinks he's funny and witty, but he sounds like he's from about 6 generations ago, his show is beyond dated.

Cowherd - I'd rather drink bleach than listen to this professional troll. He's like the worst aspects of Francesa magnified. He's on par with Skip Bayless.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Steve Somers - can't get past the voice, I turn him off the second I hear it. Thinks he's funny and witty, but he sounds like he's from about 6 generations ago, his show is beyond dated.

[/QUOTE]

A few months ago, a chick calls him up and totally kisses his arse, you are the best ever, that sort of thing.

Steve goes "WHy thank you Darling... but you must be on Steeeeeeeer-oids."

I larfed.

-

All League
    [QUOTE=Shark99;4226917]Michael Kaye
    Steve Somers
    Joe Benigno (sp.)
    Mike Fatcessa
    Stephon A. Smith
    Carlton the rat
    Boomer
    The Heard
    Rome
    Mike and Mike
    Farrell...stone guy on Serius
    Mad Dawg
    ---etc[/QUOTE]

Best: The Musers Dallas 1310 The Ticket Morning team or Randy Galloway

They are fantastic. When I moved to the NYC Metro area, I was shocked at the poor local sports talk in the biggest media market in the US. There are 10 guys in Dallas better than any of the guys on WFAN.

Worst: Fatsesca
    Honorable Mention: Skip Bayless - since he is no longer on the radio, he can't really be the worst. Nevertheless, he sucked so bad the Worst Sports Radio Award should be named the Bayless.

All League
    On Dino Costa [QUOTE=drsamuel84;4227467]No way dude, he's very good and I love how he's always making fun of Francesca.[/QUOTE]

I like that he is different and always making fun of Fatso. Definitely a different take.

In addition, like Mike and Mike. To my surprise, Cohen and Phillips are getting better.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4226941]The "screaming preacher" bit is definitely tired, but no one is worse than Michael Kay. How this guy has a radio show, and is the voice of the Yankees, is one of our world's great mysteries. Listening to Kay and LaGreca for more than a minute or two is impossibly ponderous and infuriating.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...he sounds like he is running out of breath every time he makes a HR call :) Knows nothing about anything but baseball.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Mike and Mike - excellent entertaining show. The guests are top-notch, they feed off each other well, and a LOT of football talk. Lot of national sports talk which is good because the local shows focus way too much on baseball (which sucks if you aren't a baseball fan like me). Greenberg gets a little annoying sometimes and tries to be "Joe Everyman Fan" sometimes and he comes off like his sports knowledge is not very good. Golic is excellent and knows a lot about sports outside of football.
    [/QUOTE]

Agree. Like Mike & Mike.

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Michael Kaye Show - he can get a little annoying, but he's funny and has good rapport with LaGreca, who steals the show. LaGreca knows his stuff and is a good host. Kaye is a Yankees homer, but what else would you expect?[/QUOTE]

Agree. I tune in for the yuks, and agree that LaGreca knows his stuff. I'd actually like to see him get his own show.

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Boomer and Carton - Boomer does a great job and is very knowledgeable about football. Gets annoying when he rbings up hockey all the time. Carton is an absolute disgrace to sports talk radio. Listening to him shamelessly hit on 20-something girls on the program is embarrassing for a sports talk show. Boomer must be cringing every day at work, I feel bad he has to put up with that joke of a co-host. I'm ashamed to have Carton as a fellow Jet fan.
    [/QUOTE]

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. Although, I kind of like when Boomer talks Ranger hockey. Carton is unlistenable. Not even mildly amusing on any level. Zero talent.

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Beningo and Roberts - great show, but I rarely catch it. Beningo gets a little whiny sometimes with the woe is me act, but Roberts is a good up and comer. Lot of good local sports talk on this one.
    [/QUOTE]

Agree. I didn't like Roberts at first, but he has grown on me. He does more homework than anyone in sports media, and it shows. He just flat out knows his ****. He's more of a baseball-basketball fan, and I'm more of a football fan, but I have to give him his due. He's great. Benigno has lightened up a bit on the woe is me stuff and he now occasionally adds value. But...please Joe...get rid of the "Bro" thing. And when these guys try to be funny...like talking about women and stuff...I'm immediately up the dial.

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Francesa - absolutely unlistenable. You would only tune into this show for two reasons: 1) you want to hear nonstop baseball talk 12 months a year by a pompous Yankees homer or 2) you hate the Jets and want to listen to somebody bash them for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Agree. I think of Francessa in the same way I think of Charlie Chaplin or some other silent movie star from long ago. People may have found hime entertaining a long time ago, but time has clearly passed him by.

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Steven A. Smith - pretty good show, but he gets a bit annoying when he berates listeners and interrupts. I catch this show a lot, it's usually on when I get out of work. He's actually pretty knowledgeable about sports other than basketball, which not a lot of people give him credit for. I think he does a good job overall.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with your overall assessment. My son and I seem to catch Steven A. together a lot. We find him entertaining and often laugh at his over-the-top presentation.

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4227614]Steve Somers - can't get past the voice, I turn him off the second I hear it. Thinks he's funny and witty, but he sounds like he's from about 6 generations ago, his show is beyond dated.

Cowherd - I'd rather drink bleach than listen to this professional troll. He's like the worst aspects of Francesa magnified. He's on par with Skip Bayless.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue here.

People I miss:

Adam "The Bull": Was very knowledgeable on all the major sports. Gave callers their due respect, but didn't take any "bull". I liked him a lot.

Brandon Tierney: Kind of a Jets/Mets homer, but I liked his "keep it real" attitude and delivery.

People I wish would go away:

Mark Malusis: Do you really have to insult and belittle every caller? Especially when you yourself know nothing about sports? No knowledge, no tact, no reason to listen.

Lori Rubinson and Anita Marks: Women. Really? You're going to put women on the air to talk about sports? Please. :rolleyes:

This is why I think baseball has fallen from grace. I remember back in the day you mentioned radio sports casters it was all baseball. I miss guys like Phil Rizzuto, Bob Uecker, Mel Allen, Jack Buck, and Harey Carey. You could listen to them all day just talk about nothing really. I listen to the guy that does the Yankees now and just think OMG this guy sucks donkey balls.

I like Golic, can't stand Greenberg. He's beyond annoying, the "I'm just a regular guy" thing drives me up a wall. It's actually a good show on days when he's not there.

Stephen A is fine in small doses, as long as he's not screaming. A lot of people find him offputting and as a result don't listen to what he says.

I like Boomer and Carton, some parts of Carton's personality are irritating, but I like him most of the time. Boomer is very good.

Cowherd is a troll, but will occasionally make a very good point. He deals in parallels and analogies, something that I tend to to as well. I think that he's very good with college football. Couldn't listen to him everyday, and there are some days where he's terrible.

Really can't stand Francesa now that he's by himself. I just don't find him interesting in any way. Haven't listened in years.

I like Jim Rome. I seem to be on an island there. It might have something to do with the fact that I don't actually listen to his show all that often.

I used to listen to Somers while lying in the bed trying to fall asleep. Haven't listened since moving down to Florida.

Never listened to Benigno and Roberts, so I can't comment there.

I often watch Yankee games on mute. That should tell you how I feel about Kay. Doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does.

Boomer and Carton is the only show I listen to everyday. Most of the other sports talk radio I listen to is via podcast. I have a show or two that I listen to occasionally from most of the major markets across the country: Boston, LA, DC, Chicago, and Miami. It helps me keep things in perspective.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Everyone should do themselves a favor and listen to Steve Czaban in the morning.

Yahoo Sports Radio

[URL="http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/"]http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.czabe.com/"]http://www.czabe.com/[/URL]

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;4227737]Everyone should do themselves a favor and listen to Steve Czaban in the morning.

Yahoo Sports Radio

[URL="http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/"]http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.czabe.com/"]http://www.czabe.com/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yes!

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Ron Swanson;4227122]Ruocco and Loumberg are great[/QUOTE]

Like these guys too. I met Lumberg the other night. He does small stand up comedy shows so I went to check it out. He gave him a fist pound as he walked by and the dude actually sat down and had a beer with us.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=LeonTheCat;4227752]Like these guys too. I met Lumberg the other night. He does small stand up comedy shows so I went to check it out. He gave him a fist pound as he walked by and the dude actually sat down and had a beer with us.[/QUOTE]

Lundberg.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boomah and cartin. Then beingno and evan, then the drunk giant fan at the local bar and then that fat pail of carp fatcessca

[QUOTE=Jordy;4227287]Ferrall is awesome. He knows his hockey. But I used to get headaches listening to his program back in the day. The background rock music, the beer pouring and his voice usually kept me from listening to his entire show. I swear I had to take Tylenol afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious! I felt like I was messed up or on drugs or drunk when I listened. A guy we are going to have on our radio show who is my partners roomate sounds just like him lol

The only sports talk shows I like are boomer & carton in the morning, and Scott Ferrell on Howard 101

[QUOTE=Klingon;4227675]Agree. Like Mike & Mike.

Agree. I tune in for the yuks, and agree that LaGreca knows his stuff. I'd actually like to see him get his own show.

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. Although, I kind of like when Boomer talks Ranger hockey. Carton is unlistenable. Not even mildly amusing on any level. Zero talent.

Agree. I didn't like Roberts at first, but he has grown on me. He does more homework than anyone in sports media, and it shows. He just flat out knows his ****. He's more of a baseball-basketball fan, and I'm more of a football fan, but I have to give him his due. He's great. Benigno has lightened up a bit on the woe is me stuff and he now occasionally adds value. But...please Joe...get rid of the "Bro" thing. And when these guys try to be funny...like talking about women and stuff...I'm immediately up the dial.

Agree. I think of Francessa in the same way I think of Charlie Chaplin or some other silent movie star from long ago. People may have found hime entertaining a long time ago, but time has clearly passed him by.

Can't argue with your overall assessment. My son and I seem to catch Steven A. together a lot. We find him entertaining and often laugh at his over-the-top presentation.

Can't argue here.

People I miss:

[B]Adam "The Bull": Was very knowledgeable on all the major sports. Gave callers their due respect, but didn't take any "bull". I liked him a lot.[/B]

Brandon Tierney: Kind of a Jets/Mets homer, but I liked his "keep it real" attitude and delivery.

People I wish would go away:

Mark Malusis: Do you really have to insult and belittle every caller? Especially when you yourself know nothing about sports? No knowledge, no tact, no reason to listen.

Lori Rubinson and Anita Marks: Women. Really? You're going to put women on the air to talk about sports? Please. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I forgot about The bull ....he was good where did he go? Cleveland or chicago?

You know what? Everyone seems to dislike Francesa and with good reason. I agree with the comments about him and do turn him off when he starts talking about the Jets.
    I give him immense credit for being the sports talk radio pioneer. If not for Francesa sports talk radio may not even exist let alone 24 hour sports talk. You guys who live outside of NY and listen to your local sports talk shows have to thank Francesa and Russo for that. If you listen and like sports talk radio credit Francesa and Russo.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=ozu;4226948]I like Adam Schein/Rich Gannon on Sirius. Always have good guests.[/QUOTE]

Sirius NFL Radio all day long. They do a great job!

Just listened to Fatboy argue with Revis on a youtube recording of the interview. Why any Jets fan still listens to Fatboy on WFAN is beyond any rational person's understanding.

Fatass hated Rex and the Jets two years ago when I stopped listening to him. Now it's almost cartoonish self-parody. Hope you Jets fans enjoy.
    Last edited by TerminatorJet; 11-12-2011 at 01:49 AM.