Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mawae vs Mangold

All Pro

Mawae vs Mangold

Random thought during Jets vs Pats week:

Who was the better center for the Jets? Kevin Mawae or Nick Mangold currently?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Apples and oranges. Kevin could pull and trap like noone else. Pass blocking was great, straight up run, average. Mangold is better at the latter, but no Lance Stevenson. Both great signal callers. This year might put Mangold over #68, but let's wait and see.

Mawae was the greatest C of all time and a sure HOF guy. Mangold is great but not quit at that point yet. Both are pretty good leaders but even in that I give Mawae an edge.

mawae was a douchebag, mangold is cool as hell.

mangold wins.

It's Mangold, is this even a question?

Mawae was a good center on an offensive line that never ran any deep pass plays, and had a great running back in Curtis Martin. Chad Pennington's girlish arm strength made the offensive line seem a lot better, because every route was an 8 yard curl. I'm glad we had Mawae, but he's not the complete beast Mangold is. Furthermore, in Mawae's era far fewer teams were running the 3-4, meaning he had to line up directly against far fewer behemoths than Mangold does on an almost weekly basis.

Since 2009, Mangold has been tasked with anchoring a "ground and/or pound" mentality, and protecting a boyishly good looking young extremely inexperienced quarterback. And we've gone to 2 straight AFCGGCG. How can you even doubt Mangold?

[QUOTE=Astoria;4227954]It's Mangold, is this even a question?

Mawae was a good center on an offensive line that never ran any deep pass plays, and had a great running back in Curtis Martin. Chad Pennington's girlish arm strength made the offensive line seem a lot better, because every route was an 8 yard curl. I'm glad we had Mawae, but he's not the complete beast Mangold is. Furthermore, in Mawae's era far fewer teams were running the 3-4, meaning he had to line up directly against far fewer behemoths than Mangold does on an almost weekly basis.

Since 2009, Mangold has been tasked with anchoring a "ground and/or pound" mentality, and protecting a boyishly good looking young extremely inexperienced quarterback. And we've gone to 2 straight AFCGGCG. How can you even doubt Mangold?[/QUOTE]

This

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Sanchez 3:16;4227949]mawae was a douchebag, mangold is cool as hell.

mangold wins.[/QUOTE]

Mangold is not so kool. In Charlotte, he wouldnt take pics etc..... most players did.

He literally blew people off.

and dont get me started on that silly METS hat he wears.:rolleyes:

I still LOVE him as our center.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mangold is a hall of fame center

Mawae is a hall of fame union agitator and locker room evangelist

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Astoria;4227954] and protecting a boyishly good looking [/QUOTE]

:huh:

:eek:

:ontome:

:D:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4227971]Mangold is not so kool. In Charlotte, he wouldnt take pics etc..... most players did.

He literally blew people off.

and dont get me started on that silly METS hat he wears.:rolleyes:

I still LOVE him as our center.[/QUOTE]

Not taking pictures is cool. I don't think he knows what the Mets are which is cool. Writing Kool with a k is also really cool.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;4227978]Mangold is a hall of fame center

Mawae is a hall of fame union agitator and locker room evangelist[/QUOTE]

Mawae blew it with me when in an interview he said he hadn't watched an NFL game since he retired so he couldn't comment on Mangold or any other players. You're right. The man's only passion is money.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;4227942]Apples and oranges. Kevin could pull and trap like noone else. Pass blocking was great, straight up run, average. Mangold is better at the latter, but no Lance Stevenson. Both great signal callers. This year might put Mangold over #68, but let's wait and see.[/QUOTE]

+1 It's a little too early in his career to tell just how good Mangold is going to be. My guess is he passes Mawae. Like Jumba said Kevin was one of the best trapping and pulling centers I've ever seen. Mangold is an extremely good center now and is fun to watch. He'll do nothing but get better.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4227947]Mawae was the greatest C of all time and a sure HOF guy. Mangold is great but not quit at that point yet. Both are pretty good leaders but even in that I give Mawae an edge.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you are too young to have heard of Mike Webster (or Dwight Stephenson...or Jim Otto).

Mawae is arguably in the top-5 but I don't know if many would put him at #1 over those guys.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=32green;4227984]:huh:

:eek:

:ontome:

:D:[/QUOTE]

Good catch 32Green

On a separate note I am thankful that twitter was not prevalent during Mawae's playing careeer; he would have been Jay Feely-esque, caught between thanking God and pontificating on his soap box.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=nycdan;4228008]I'm guessing you are too young to have heard of Mike Webster (or Dwight Stephenson...or Jim Otto).

Mawae is arguably in the top-5 but I don't know if many would put him at #1 over those guys.[/QUOTE]

Kris Jenkins threw Mawae aside like a child when we played the Titans he had a tougher time with Mangold in practice.. Plus Mawae was pretty light at 289..

All Pro
    I think very highly of both but in his era I think Mawae was better.

Better leader.

Amazing agility.

He was more finesse, while Nick is more powerful.

Different players, same position but I think Mawae brought more to the table. Nick's the best current center.

def to early to tell ...... so right now I would say Mawae but Mangold is on his way....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Timby01;4228041]def to early to tell ...... so right now I would say Mawae but Mangold is on his way....[/QUOTE]

It took Mawae 6 seasons to make a pro bowl and all pro..It took Mangold just 3 for a pro Bowl and 4 for all pro.. Mawae never made All Pro 2 years in a row Mangold has..:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=nycdan;4228008]I'm guessing you are too young to have heard of Mike Webster (or [B]Dwight Stephenson[/B]...or Jim Otto).

Mawae is arguably in the top-5 but I don't know if many would put him at #1 over those guys.[/QUOTE]FWIW I walked up to DS once who was signing autographs in the club sec @ Pro Player. His reply was that KW was the best C at the time.

[QUOTE=carlito1171;4227936]Random thought during Jets vs Pats week:

Who was the better center for the Jets? Kevin Mawae or Nick Mangold currently?[/QUOTE]

IMO, Mangold is better believe it or not. Kevin Mawae was excellent, just as good as you'll ever see. Mangold, however, is truly dominant like I've never seen. Mangold is excellent at making the line calls. And no matter what kind of monster you put in front of him, Mangold always, eventually wins.

What's crazy is I never believed we could say after Mawae leaving that we'd be better off. I don't believe the Jets OL missed a step.