Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well we have advice threads on everything else, so... new tires thread?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Well we have advice threads on everything else, so... new tires thread?

Seems like there are a lot of 'big ticket' purchase threads around here, so tires are no different - based on the prices I've researched (:mad:) - wife needs new tires on her CRV. Any thoughts or good experiences on maybe some of the following lesser-known brands?

Toyo
    Falken
    Mastercraft

I've managed to have good experiences so far by avoiding the more expensive tires (Michelin, GoodYear, BF Goodrich, etc) and using Yokohama, Toyo, Dunlops, and so forth.

Anyone recommend a good tire for 225/65/R17 - or ones to avoid?

Thanks! ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Fwiw, Ive already been to tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com - seems like the cheapest ones are 103.00 per tire

[url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+EL400-02&partnum=265TR7EL40002&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes[/url]

All League
    I really can't comment on the quality of the tires (I just bought a set of Falken tires for my son's Malibu a couple of weeks ago).

If you look around, there are usually some sigificant rebates on tires. Last year I got about $150 back on a set of Michelin's. I am looking for a set of snow tires for my car and I know Sears is also currently advertising rebates of up to $160 on Goodyears.

All League
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4228080]Seems like there are a lot of 'big ticket' purchase threads around here, so tires are no different - based on the prices I've researched (:mad:) - wife needs new tires on her CRV. Any thoughts or good experiences on maybe some of the following lesser-known brands?

Toyo
    Falken
    Mastercraft

I've managed to have good experiences so far by avoiding the more expensive tires (Michelin, GoodYear, BF Goodrich, etc) and using Yokohama, Toyo, Dunlops, and so forth.

Anyone recommend a good tire for 225/65/R17 - or ones to avoid?

Thanks! ;)[/QUOTE]

The suspension is tuned for the tires that came on the car. While a different model might perform OK, it could also have weird side effects like road noise or poor gas mileage. In addition, if you load up your SUV, you need to make sure that the new tires aren't just the same size, they must be rated for the same vehicle weight (including contents).

Honda makes a ****load of CRV's and the original tire is probably available everywhere. If you shop around, I bet you can get the original tire for pretty close to the same price as the discount tires.

Like you, my wife drives a CRV. If I got discount tires and ANYTHING went wrong (flats, road noise, bad ride or god forbid an accident), it just wouldn't be worth saving a few bucks.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Digetydog;4228132]The suspension is tuned for the tires that came on the car. While a different model might perform OK, it could also have weird side effects like road noise or poor gas mileage. In addition, if you load up your SUV, you need to make sure that the new tires aren't just the same size, they must be rated for the same vehicle weight (including contents).

Honda makes a ****load of CRV's and the original tire is probably available everywhere. If you shop around, I bet you can get the original tire for pretty close to the same price as the discount tires.

Like you, my wife drives a CRV. If I got discount tires and ANYTHING went wrong (flats, road noise, bad ride or god forbid an accident), it just wouldn't be worth saving a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

Please.

Like the Honda CRV is built to such precise engineering standards that putting a replacement tire on it will affect anything. :rolleyes:

To the original poster, the only difference between brand name and no name tires is how long they last. A brand name 50,000 mile tire will get you 50,000 miles. A no name 50,000 mile tire will get you 30,000 miles.

If you plan on selling the car soon, get no-name cheap tires. If you plan on keeping it for a while, get good, brand name tires. Goodyear, Michelin, Cooper. Ask your dealer who has the best mail-in rebate offer. manufacturers offer mail-in rebates because they know that 75% of the customers will never go through the effort to mail in the form and receipt. Make the effort, and you'll get a check for $150 or so in the mail.

This isn't rocket science.

Hall Of Fame
    [B][SIZE="7"]KUMHO![/SIZE][/B]

lolz...

[IMG]http://assets6.paultan.org/static/kumho-girls.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    How close will you be sitting to your tires?

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4228190]How close will you be sitting to your tires?

_[/QUOTE]

lolz...the default question.

My boss asked me the other day what I though of some new project management software he was thinking of buying and I said "Depends on how far you're planning on sitting from it"

He said:

[IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/fishooked/emoticons/RAGE0055.png[/IMG]

CostCo or BJs wholesale warehouse offers the best deals on tires. They also offer free rotation and rebalance.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4228235]CostCo or BJs wholesale warehouse offers the best deals on tires. They also offer free rotation and rebalance.[/QUOTE]

They also carry generators.. and a wonderful selection of designer faux-homes in which to place them.

I went with a COleman 5500, housed in the model 66 Brady Ranch.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4228190]How close will you be sitting to your tires?

_[/QUOTE]

How come hampur jokes never go stale?

For the most part.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Tires are like sneakers, very personal, don't overpay. CRV, I always liked Falls/Mastercraft for a ride like that good bang for your buck, and rotate.

[QUOTE=32green;4228261]They also carry generators.. and a wonderful selection of designer faux-homes in which to place them.

I went with a COleman 5500, housed in the model 66 Brady Ranch.

-[/QUOTE]

Problem with buying a generator at a place like that is no one is really generator expert and I doubt they offer much customer service if you have a problem.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The best advice I can give anyone regarding tires is this:

For winter driving, you need dedicated snow tires. "All Season Tires" and "4-Wheel Drive" is just savvy marketing jargon to help save lazy Americans the chore of swapping out their rubber twice a year.

Sorry, there is no workaround. You need a dedicated set of snow tires. Put 'em on in November, take 'em off in March. Costs more money, sorry, but you have to do it.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    I have Toyo "Z" rated tires for my M3. Best driving tires I've ever owned.

_

[QUOTE=SAR I;4228511]The best advice I can give anyone regarding tires is this:

For winter driving, you need dedicated snow tires. "All Season Tires" and "4-Wheel Drive" is just savvy marketing jargon to help save lazy Americans the chore of swapping out their rubber twice a year.

Sorry, there is no workaround. You need a dedicated set of snow tires. Put 'em on in November, take 'em off in March. Costs more money, sorry, but you have to do it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

No way in hell. They make all season tires for year round use. Alot of newer cars are also all-wheel drive or front wheel drive. Who puts snow tires on the front of a front wheel drive car or a on the rear of a rear wheel drive car anymore.
    Last edited by GMCJETS; 11-13-2011 at 12:18 AM.

I suffer from tire amnesia.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4228517]No way in hell. They make all season tires for year round use. Alot of newer cars are also all-wheel drive or front wheel drive. Who puts snow tires on the front of a front wheel drive car or a on the rear of a rear wheel drive car anymore.[/QUOTE]

All I can tell you is that in the tundra of New Hampshire winters, my RWD BMW 3 Series convertible on Nokian Hakkapalita snow tires handled significantly better than my AWD 3 Series sedan on Bridgestone all seasons. Had all the confidence in the world, barely had to think twice about heading out in bad weather.

You put snows on all 4 wheels because stopping is more important than moving.

We're in New York, so winters tend to be mild and you can perhaps get away with all seasons or AWD for a few days where it gets rough. But if you're serious about winter driving and family safety, you get dedicated snow tires. In NH you needed them maybe 12 days a year. In NJ you need them maybe 4. Either way, you need them.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4228517]No way in hell. They make all season tires for year round use. Alot of newer cars are also all-wheel drive or front wheel drive. Who puts snow tires on the front of a front wheel drive car or a on the rear of a rear wheel drive car anymore.[/QUOTE]

Depends where you live and how steep your driveway is. I have 4wd cars, during winter one has Nokian Hakapellittas and the other Bridgestone Blizzaks. No way am I getting by with all seasons.

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4228515]I have Toyo "Z" rated tires for my M3. Best driving tires I've ever owned.

_[/QUOTE]

I can second this. Bought them after the Bridgestone Dueler all-seasons that came on my CRV had my wife slipping and sliding all over the place in the snow. The all-seasons that come standard on most SAVs are great...if you live in California. Bought the Toyos after researching on Consumer Reports and it was like a whole new car. I'm sure there are other great all-seasons as well; these are among them.

SAR's sweeping statement that you need snows is flat out wrong for most areas. Not to mention a waster of time and money. My wife let herself be talked into buying snows by some jamokes on a message board who didn't know any better. (We were on the outs at the time and she was determined to prove she didn't need my advice). $1k worth of tires we don't need + $200 two times a year to have them switched back and forth, not to mention the time wasted sitting in a tire place. That said, his statement is prolly right for parts of northern NE, upstate NY, the northern Midwest, etc.