Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J. Edgar anyone?

Hall Of Fame

J. Edgar anyone?

Seeing it tonite, have been pretty excited to see it, but was ponderous about the lack of promotion--it just came out of no where about 3 weeks ago--and the reviews (critics and viewers) have been mixed.

I am disappoint if this isn't any good.

How do you screw up an epic story about an iconic and divisive American figure, starring Leo and directed by Clint. :dunno:

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4228310]Seeing it tonite, have been pretty excited to see it, but was ponderous about the lack of promotion--it just came out of no where about 3 weeks ago--and the reviews (critics and viewers) have been mixed.

How do you screw up an epic story about an iconic and divisive American figure, starring Leo and directed by Clint. :dunno:

_[/QUOTE]

You worry too much.

Love,
    FF2

PS: Do you buy candy there or sneak some in?

Allegedly, the story swings through too many of the historical events rather than focusing on a few of the mainstays...

I haven't seen it yet, we saw Immortals yesterday instead.

Not great. Not bad. Definitely Netflix worthy.

big fan of eastwood and dicaprio but this one looks just ok

then again i said the same thing about invictus and it was awesome

a director is like a gm/coach/qb combined...its on him to make everything work.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4228312]Allegedly, the story swings through too many of the historical events rather than focusing on a few of the mainstays...

I haven't seen it yet, we saw Immortals yesterday instead.

Not great. Not bad. Definitely Netflix worthy.[/QUOTE]

tell me u didnt see it in 3d...i hate that 3d bull****

He was a cross-dresser :eek:

[QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;4228314]tell me u didnt see it in 3d...i hate that 3d bull****[/QUOTE]

Can't, glasses give me some kind of weird motion sickness. So nope, regular.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4228310]Seeing it tonite, have been pretty excited to see it, but was ponderous about the lack of promotion--it just came out of no where about 3 weeks ago--and the reviews (critics and viewers) have been mixed.

_[/QUOTE]

from what i heard, they screwed it up b/c it was a crappy script. i guess the guy who wrote it was the same guy who wrote Milk, and that movie definitely sucked. WSJ review on it from yesterday crapped all over it.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4228317]Can't, glasses give me some kind of weird motion sickness. So nope, regular.[/QUOTE]

hah same here

i saw transformers 3 in 3D and wanted to puke

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4228316]He was a cross-dresser :eek:[/QUOTE]

So what?

Why should women get all the the nice soft silky feeling things and men get stuck with chaffing cotton?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;4228324]So what?

Why should women get all the the nice soft silky feeling things and men get stuck with chaffing cotton?[/QUOTE]

This can only go bad for you....

Why should women get all the the nice soft silky feeling things and men get stuck with chaffing cotton?[/QUOTE]

still dont understand why anybody wears underwear anymore?

They make silk boxers for men. You need to realize there are other stores besides Wal-Mart to shop for underwear.

I saw it last night. I enjoyed it a lot. I know it has been criticized for jumping too much but I think it worked. It gives you an idea of just how much this guy did from the Palmer Raids to Nixon. My biggest problem was they took the rumors and the heavily debated topic that he was gay, and ran with it. When its just rumored the way it was, I don't like the way the story just ran with it. And the ending has on odd, surprise that changes your perspective on it all, which I didn't like at first, but 24 hours later I like it more.

IMO, DiCaprio is horribly miscast, which--most likely--is the cause for the tepid response by critics and moviegoers. The film would have worked perfectly if Eastwood had cast Bill Fagerbakke, Dauber from the ABC sitcom [I]Coach[/I], in the title role.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4228426]IMO, DiCaprio is horribly miscast, which--most likely--is the cause for the tepid response by critics and moviegoers. The film would have worked perfectly if Eastwood had cast Bill Fagerbakke, Dauber from the ABC sitcom [I]Coach[/I], in the title role.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I like Dicaprio but he just didn't seem like a JEH to me. I would have picked Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4228438]Agreed. I like Dicaprio but he just didn't seem like a JEH to me. I would have picked [B]Phillip Seymour Hoffman.[/B][/QUOTE]

+1,000

:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4228332]This can only go bad for you....[/QUOTE]

Lmao...:D

Him...picturing dudes... picturing him.... in silky unnerpanstses... is a win for him.... so it cant go that bad for him.

So it can only go right for him, no matter how much we wretch and cancel our JI accounts.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Oooof.

My initial words to my GF and the couple we went with as the credits rolled were "that sucked moose c*ck" and a couple behind us cracked up in agreement.

Disjointed.

Exasperatingly long.

Boring.

Too much melodrama and not enough of the historical story.

Had more endings than Lord of the Rings: Return of the Scrotum--could have been 45 minutes [I]shorter[/I].

The formation of the FBI was given very [I]short[/I] shrift--could have been epic in and of itself--but the movie played too much on JEH's relationship with Clyde Tolson (who when older was made up to look less believable as and old guy than Johhny Knoxville as an old guy in Jackass) and his creepy relationship with his mother.

Jumped around way too much and didn't focus enough on any one historical issue--Kennedy, Elenanor Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, Vietnam, Nixon, the political climate in the 40s, 50s, 60s or 70s.

They hit on the Lindbergh kidnapping in pretty good detail and the FBI's involvement was interesting, as well as some of the early take-down of the mob--but that could have been the focus of a very good and different movie.

The guy from Burn Notice was a dead ringer for RFK, Naomi Watts never lost her shirt :( and Josh Stamberg stole the movie :D

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4228438]Agreed. I like Dicaprio but he just didn't seem like a JEH to me. I would have picked Phillip Seymour Hoffman.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't do PSH, you needed someone to portray JEH as a young man. PSH could do the older character, but not the younger version.

[QUOTE=nycuse;4228334]still dont understand why anybody wears underwear anymore?[/QUOTE]

Haven't worn underwear since Hamptons summer 1977.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4228514].

Haven't worn underwear since Hamptons summer 1977.

_[/QUOTE]

Too embarrassed to buy underoos in the boys department?