Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Wilson on Welker

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilson on Welker

Wilson has been fairly dominant this year in the slot. With safety help (disguised in and out) this could be a nice wrinkle. i wonder if Rex-Pettine-Thurmon could toy with the idea.

U could run with an over-under combo and dare Brady to beat Wilson over top, which would also expose WW to some vicious flying dropkicks from the top ropes from an over-top S, such as Eric Smith.

With this sitch in place Revis and Cro get Branch and Johnson/Edelman/whoever, or even Gronk/Hernandez.

Disguising the double coverages would be key to trapping Brady and getting him to hold the ball a second longer for the pass rush or make imprudent throws.

Bad idea?

IMO if Wilson has developed to the degree that he has indicated on the field and that the CS says, he may be up to the challenge - actually a great boon since he is disguised as bait for Brady and would have plenty of opportunity for interceptions. Why protect Wilson? The more he is challenged, the better he will become. It may be that he is already our 2nd best CB this year.

reference
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d822fa89e/QB-Brady-to-WR-Welker-73-yd-pass[/url]
    Last edited by Darth Vader; 11-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im thrilled with Wilson's development but I do not think him on welker is the way to go. First off, we would be wasting revis by putting him on an inferior player. Secondly, while wilson has been much improved, putting him on the best slot WR in the league, is too much to ask.

I think we put revis on welker 90% of the time and then figure out what to do with gronk/hernandez.

Losing Pool is a big problem this week as smith/leonhard are not fast or tall enough for these TEs. Cro has the size to cover those guys but unfortunately isn't nearly physical enough for gronk. I can see him on hernandez if hernandez lines up out wide, but cro isn't great out of the slot. Wilson is actually very strong and could potentially match up with gronk if he had safety help.

I think we are gonna see a lot of man coverage on welker and branch/ocho and some disguised zones on the TEs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4228679]Im thrilled with Wilson's development but I do not think him on welker is the way to go. First off, we would be wasting revis by putting him on an inferior player. Secondly, while wilson has been much improved, putting him on the best slot WR in the league, is too much to ask.

I think we put revis on welker 90% of the time and then figure out what to do with gronk/hernandez.

Losing Pool is a big problem this week as smith/leonhard are not fast or tall enough for these TEs. Cro has the size to cover those guys but unfortunately isn't nearly physical enough for gronk. I can see him on hernandez if hernandez lines up out wide, but cro isn't great out of the slot. Wilson is actually very strong and could potentially match up with gronk if he had safety help.

I think we are gonna see a lot of man coverage on welker and branch/ocho and some disguised zones on the TEs.[/QUOTE]

i sense we will see more than a few cb/safety blitzes as the pats dont have a true deep threat. look for revis or cro who never blitz to sneak a blitz from the outside

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d822fa89e/QB-Brady-to-WR-Welker-73-yd-pass[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Pats will have more rushing attempts than they've had in years tonite. Call me crazy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;4228688]I think the Pats will have more rushing attempts than they've had in years tonite. Call me crazy[/QUOTE]

i wish, if that is the case Jets win

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;4228672]Wilson has been fairly dominant this year in the slot. With safety help (disguised in and out) this could be a nice wrinkle. i wonder if Rex-Pettine-Thurmon could toy with the idea.

U could run with an over-under combo and dare Brady to beat Wilson over top, which would also expose WW to some vicious flying dropkicks from the top ropes from an over-top S, such as Eric Smith.

With this sitch in place Revis and Cro get Branch and Johnson/Edelman/whoever, or even Gronk/Hernandez.

Disguising the double coverages would be key to trapping Brady and getting him to hold the ball a second longer for the pass rush or make imprudent throws.

Bad idea?

IMO if Wilson has developed to the degree that he has indicated on the field and that the CS says, he may be up to the challenge - actually a great boon since he is disguised as bait for Brady and would have plenty of opportunity for interceptions. Why protect Wilson? The more he is challenged, the better he will become. It may be that he is already our 2nd best CB this year.

reference
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d822fa89e/QB-Brady-to-WR-Welker-73-yd-pass[/url][/QUOTE]

All I could say is that I am glad you arent the head coach. Lets just waste the best defensive player in the game and let the best receiver this year go up against our nickel corner. There should not be 1 play today with Revis not on Welker. He completely shut him out last time with 1 catch for 3 yards. Why change anything?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;4229068]All I could say is that I am glad you arent the head coach. Lets just waste the best defensive player in the game and let the best receiver this year go up against our nickel corner. There should not be 1 play today with Revis not on Welker. He completely shut him out last time with 1 catch for 3 yards. Why change anything?[/QUOTE]

I agree that Revis should cover Welker.

But, Welker had 124 yards last game. What are you talking about 1 catch for 3 yards?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klingon;4229079]I agree that Revis should cover Welker.

But, Welker had 124 yards last game. What are you talking about 1 catch for 3 yards?[/QUOTE]

He got most of his yardage on the blown cover of eric smith. He passed him off to eric smith who sh*t the bed on that play.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4229110]He got most of his yardage on the blown cover of eric smith. He passed him off to eric smith who sh*t the bed on that play.[/QUOTE]

Yea I like Smith for his toughness but he gets burned too many times on plays where he just plain blows the coverage...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a bit of a gamble to put Wilson on Welker when Revis can completely erase that midget.

Wilson should get the outside against Branch and Revis will remove 84 from the game.

I like Revis on the opponents best WR. In this case, that's Welker. Revis should be face up on him every play.

Get after it!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4229129]It's a bit of a gamble to put Wilson on Welker when Revis can completely erase that midget.

Wilson should get the outside against Branch and Revis will remove 84 from the game.

I like Revis on the opponents best WR. In this case, that's Welker. Revis should be face up on him every play.

Get after it![/QUOTE]

+1,000

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;4228688]I think the Pats will have more rushing attempts than they've had in years tonite. Call me crazy[/QUOTE]

not crazy, green-ellis owned us last game.

it'll be interesting to see who our inactives are.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson has improved tremendously over the past year, but you put your best corner against their best receiver as much as you can. We'll probably see some Wilson v Welker, but not a lot. Wilson v Branch would be an interesting matchup. Put Cro on one of the TE's.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klingon;4229079]I agree that Revis should cover Welker.

But, Welker had 124 yards last game. What are you talking about 1 catch for 3 yards?[/QUOTE]

He had only 1 catch for 3 yards on a 3rd and 2. His other receptions (2?) were not against Revis.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will most likely mix things up with Revis for the majority of snaps matching up against Welker. Personally, I'd like to see how Wilson fares against him in the slot. I think he could do a credible job.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Not crazy at all. I think you are spot on.

[QUOTE=bcess;4228692]i wish, if that is the case Jets win[/QUOTE]

Why? The Pats running game may be middle of the road but it doesn't suck. And the Jets run defense is not exactly stout at #20 in the league. Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if one of BB's major goals tonight is TOP.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as we're tight on the TE's and Maybin has 7 sacks, we should be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    for those wondering i pretty much stated that wilson could cover him but only in some sort of double-team tandem that might have ramifications on how brady might read (get confused by) the coverage schemes.

this is the same sort of cooverage that has resulted in a number of INTs by our CBs - think revis's 4th qtr int of Romo and think wilson's int. both played in disguised under man coverages.