Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did The Pre-Game Shows Talk About Penn State?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Did The Pre-Game Shows Talk About Penn State?

I flipped back and forth between CBS's and FOX's Sunday football shows to try and catch as much of both as possible and I did not catch a whiff of a mention of a word about the Paterno/Sandusky scandal. Did I miss it? Or did they completely ignore this college football scandal, or even the result of yesterday's game? I know they love to talk about the college teams and games in between the NFL talk and what is an [B]NFL[/B] program. But in a week where you couldn't turn on the TV or the radio or the internet without hearing every detail about what had happened and how Penn State reacted, etc., they just ignored the whole thing? Please tell me I missed it before the outrage goes to 11

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't honestly notice, but the scandal has gotten MORE than enough coverage. I really don't want to see it anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MaximusPrime;4228848]I didn't honestly notice, but the scandal has gotten MORE than enough coverage. I really don't want to see it anymore.[/QUOTE]

+1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the one show that [B]should[/B] have had something to say about the scandal. There has been plenty of reporting about it, but these shows are not news shows and in the past they have often gotten on soapboxes to pontificate and spout their opinios and take what they consider the moral high ground on issues of far less significance. Overlooking it and pretending as if nothing ever happened without taking any position about it is the same attitude that allowed that something like this to go overlooked for so long and swept under the rug trying to keep it quiet. Not saying anything is tantamount to acceptance.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, this story needs more coverage. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it needs the NFL to show its not the scumbag league and for its representatives to show some integrity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4228919]No it needs the NFL to show its not the scumbag league and for its representatives to show some integrity.[/QUOTE]

1st off what does the NFL have to do with Joe Pa? there's a couple dozen football factories in this country and they don't talk about Ohio St on the pregame show either. Miami vs Florida State and Luck losing was yesterday that's probably a more relevant game to the NFL than Joe Pa's program.

but don't worry VT the paterno story is going to get alot more coverage. Indications are it's far from over... facts are still coming to light and it's the biggest scandal in the history of college sports.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    dump

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't really argue it hasn't been covered enough. And this is the NFL, isn't it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why the f*** would anyone be outraged that NFL pre-game shows did not talk about the Penn State child abuse scandal.

I applaud them for not talking about it, the story has gotten plenty enough attention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because as the only ones who didn't mention it, where 90 million other media outlets did, it is a glaring omission by national broadcasters who have the most interest in the subject. They seem to think college football is a valid topic of conversation even though it is a show about the NFL, when it suits them. Not bringing it up - and taking a moral stand on it - is sticking their heads in the sand on it and pretending it didnt' happen. We don't need any more 'coverage' of the subject it has been done to death - but they have a moral obligation to take a stand against it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4229126]Because as the only ones who didn't mention it, where 90 million other media outlets did, it is a glaring omission by national broadcasters who have the most interest in the subject. They seem to think college football is a valid topic of conversation even though it is a show about the NFL, when it suits them. Not bringing it up - and taking a moral stand on it - is sticking their heads in the sand on it and pretending it didnt' happen. We don't need any more 'coverage' of the subject it has been done to death - but they have a moral obligation to take a stand against it.[/QUOTE]

Wow. So by not talking about it, they some how advocate child rape? Seriously? How do you even connect those dots?

The things that happened to those kids are beyond horrific. That being said, do think any of these victims want to continue to hear about it over, and over, and over again? What about other child abuse victims? Yes, I'm sure they are all happy that this was brought to light, and people were/are going to be punished, but at some point, bringing it up over, and over again just brings up memories that are more terrible than me, you, or a great portion of the human race can realize.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4229126]Because as the only ones who didn't mention it, where 90 million other media outlets did, it is a glaring omission by national broadcasters who have the most interest in the subject. They seem to think college football is a valid topic of conversation even though it is a show about the NFL, when it suits them. Not bringing it up - and taking a moral stand on it - is sticking their heads in the sand on it and pretending it didnt' happen. We don't need any more 'coverage' of the subject it has been done to death - but they have a moral obligation to take a stand against it.[/QUOTE]

If Dan Marino said "hey, child molesting is bad, Joe Pa should've went to the cops" you would be satisfied, eh?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL @ They have a moral obligation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would guess that the victims would appreciate hearing the NFL (and those who speak for it) condemn the actions of people involved with this scandal, Rather than, glossing over it and pretending like nothing happened. And yes, not condeming it is condoning it; there's no gray area here. They have an obligation to take a stand and not doing talking about it is the huge elephant in the room. A high school player recruited by PEnn State has declined to attend the university in the wake of this scandal and I'm sure they are happy to hear that too.

I just wanted to know if I had missed it or not so that I am not mistaken in taking them to task. Judging by the responses the answer is no. Yes/No suffices.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4229160] And yes, not condeming it is condoning it; there's no gray area here. They have an obligation to take a stand and not doing talking about it is the huge elephant in the room.[/QUOTE]

That's your opinion, and more power to you, but that is so beyond twisted that it actually irritates me. The NFL doesn't have an obligation to talk about it in any form or fashion. I can't personally speak for anyone else, but I sure as hell don't need anyone to tell me that raping a child is wrong. And it won't make me feel one bit better about it having some talking heads tell me it's wrong and they wish it never happened.

Even worse is that you truly believe that by saying nothing, means they condone it. That is beyond absurd. That's not even rational thinking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a grip man, you sound ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;4229165]That's your opinion, and more power to you, but that is so beyond twisted that it actually irritates me. The NFL doesn't have an obligation to talk about it in any form or fashion. I can't personally speak for anyone else, but I sure as hell don't need anyone to tell me that raping a child is wrong. And it won't make me feel one bit better about it having some talking heads tell me it's wrong and they wish it never happened.

Even worse is that you truly believe that by saying nothing, means they condone it. That is beyond absurd. That's not even rational thinking.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they need to lecture people that child rape is wrong. They need to take a stand on the coverup, the decisions that people made (or didn't) that allowed this to drag on for much longer than it should have. Obviously there was no fear of repercussions by not speaking out or else they would have. It has to be clear that tolerating it or trying to cover it up until it blows up is not the way to deal with it. If these shows don't think this is a topic they should cover than they should never talk about college football again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get your point but no one on here is going to change anything. If your that pissed off tweet them or something. Geez:rolleyes: