Thread: 5 Plays that Made the Difference

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

5 Plays that Made the Difference

In order:

1) Folk's miss (need points there)
    2) Wilson's drop of a sure pick 6 (next drive, we should've been up 10-0)
    3) Sanchez's idiotic too-soon time-out (STOOOOPID)
    4) Greene's miss/tip/INT
    5) McKnight's muff

The Jets beat themselves.

All Pro
    Add the Cromartie almost INT there too.

The Wilson drop (who knows how he would have ran that back) and the McKnight drop were back breakers.

Sanchez's pick 6 was awful, but the game was honestly over by then.

Practice Squad
    I know Mike Westhoff's **** smells like Febreeze and all and you're not allowed to question him under any circumstances, but what was McKnight doing out there fielding a punt to begin with?

Kerley was playing on offense at the time, so he obviously was healthy enough to play. And, even if you want to say Kerley was hurt, you put Leonhard back there.

But, not the special teams supergenius. He puts McKnight back there - the same McKnight who muffed a punt last time you put him back there.

And, this isn't second-guessing. I said it before the play happened.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4232126]In order:

4) Greene's miss/tip/INT
    5) McKnight's muff

The Jets beat themselves.[/QUOTE]

And those 5 plays could be extended to 10, which could be extended to 20...

The point is, the entire team played like sh$t last night from the CS right down to the players on the field. There really wasn't ANYTHING they did right last night. They were completely unprepared.

Now if we are going to point out where the brunt of the responsibility lies? I say it lies with Mark Sanchez. It's clear that Sanchez has regressed at this point and is making the same mistakes he was making as a rookie. His play is inexcuseable and is bringing the team down.

BTW, it wasn't Greene's miss/tip/INT, it was Sanchez's fault. He threw the ball way too high and too hard to a RB standing a maximum of say 30 feet away. Greene didn't have enough time to react to that pass. Sanchez wound the ball at Greene. it was impossible for him to catch that pass.

All League
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4232126]In order:

4) Greene's miss/tip/INT
    5) McKnight's muff

The Jets beat themselves.[/QUOTE]

also the handful of plays when the DB's just couldn't get into the correct formations.

[QUOTE=Klingon;4232142]I know Mike Westhoff's **** smells like Febreeze and all and you're not allowed to question him under any circumstances, but what was McKnight doing out there fielding a punt to begin with?

Kerley was playing on offense at the time, so he obviously was healthy enough to play. And, even if you want to say Kerley was hurt, you put Leonhard back there.

But, not the special teams supergenius. He puts McKnight back there - the same McKnight who muffed a punt last time you put him back there.

And, this isn't second-guessing. I said it before the play happened.[/QUOTE]

Great point about Westoff--why is McKnight (who seldom fields punts) out there in a critical game with all that pressure on him. I don't get it. Then again, I don't get much of what the Jets coaching staff did last night.

Folk's miss on the first drive shouldn't have even happened. Santonio stumbled without being touched on the completion down to the 9 and had he stayed upright, he has the angle to go into the end zone.

[QUOTE=DrKanter113;4232219]Folk's miss on the first drive shouldn't have even happened. Santonio stumbled without being touched on the completion down to the 9 and had he stayed upright, he has the angle to go into the end zone.[/QUOTE]

+1

That stumble was a metaphor/omen for the whole night. I think the game last night had nothing to do with ability, it was mental. Jets still haven't crossed that mental hurdle that they can beat these guys. They come out hyped, but once a few things go wrong they get shellshocked, whereas in other games against other teams they will regroup. Against the Pats, if it is not perfect early, doubt always creeps in.

All League
    oh, and also every single time Mulligan is on the field. He is absolutely brutal in every facet of the game. Good grief ...

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4232209]Great point about Westoff--why is McKnight (who seldom fields punts) out there in a critical game with all that pressure on him. I don't get it. Then again, I don't get much of what the Jets coaching staff did last night.[/QUOTE]

Because the Jets offense was playing like spit and Westoff took a gamble that McKnight could pull off a big punt return. Hindsight said it didn't work, at the time, not a bad gamble. Sometimes you gamble and lose.

[QUOTE=igotsowell;4232248]oh, and also every single time Mulligan is on the field. He is absolutely brutal in every facet of the game. Good grief ...[/QUOTE]

You got to give Mulligan a Mulligan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4232151]And those 5 plays could be extended to 10, which could be extended to 20...

The point is, the entire team played like sh$t last night from the CS right down to the players on the field. There really wasn't ANYTHING they did right last night. They were completely unprepared.

Now if we are going to point out where the brunt of the responsibility lies? I say it lies with Mark Sanchez. It's clear that Sanchez has regressed at this point and is making the same mistakes he was making as a rookie. His play is inexcuseable and is bringing the team down.

[b]BTW, it wasn't Greene's miss/tip/INT, it was Sanchez's fault. He threw the ball way too high and too hard to a RB standing a maximum of say 30 feet away. Greene didn't have enough time to react to that pass. Sanchez wound the ball at Greene. it was impossible for him to catch that pass.[/b][/QUOTE]He also bounced one off of LT who was set up for a screen. Looked like he would've had a nice seem to run through.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=teddyld;4232241]+1

That stumble was a metaphor/omen for the whole night. I think the game last night had nothing to do with ability, it was mental. Jets still haven't crossed that mental hurdle that they can beat these guys. They come out hyped, but once a few things go wrong they get shellshocked, whereas in other games against other teams they will regroup. Against the Pats, if it is not perfect early, doubt always creeps in.[/QUOTE]

Don't undersell what Brady did. He was masterful in exploiting the little the Jets gave him. No running game, no Welker, but he finds Gronkowski. Not to mention that he simply toyed with the Jets using no-huddle and gassed that defense so they couldn't react. When he was pursued he found a way to extend the play and keep the drive going. For the Jets, I think one problem was an over-complicated scheme for the secondary that resulted in communication errors. Sanchez simply didn't have any rhythm or command of the offensive flow (contrast to Brady). The Jets had so many weapons and somehow once again failed to put them in motion. Scattered sharp plays were mixed with a lot of empty drives that were quick and out. Then the mistakes crept in... which is a sign of a team pressing and getting desperate.

On a side note, I have to say I admire the resilience of the Pats playing with what was essentially a second string secondary (or worse) and have to wonder if the Jets can't exploit that what can they do? I feel in some ways that the Jets were like that mule in Aesop's fable who had two bales of hay (ground and pound vs. passing) on each side of him and starved because he couldn't decide which one to eat.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4232151]And those 5 plays could be extended to 10, which could be extended to 20...

BTW, it wasn't Greene's miss/tip/INT, it was Sanchez's fault. He threw the ball way too high and too hard to a RB standing a maximum of say 30 feet away. Greene didn't have enough time to react to that pass. Sanchez wound the ball at Greene. it was impossible for him to catch that pass.[/QUOTE]

you can blame any pass that has a bad result on the qb, but at what point does the intended receiver bear the responsibility for not catching something that hits him right in the hands? and if the response is that greene isn't a great pass catcher and you have to throw it differently to him, my response is that you shouldn't be throwing it to him repeatedly when you have 6 other guys who have better hands than he does. maybe more.

last night was a typical jet offensive performance. they pissed away a great opportunity to take the lead early, then did nothing until right before the half so they had just enough momentum to feel good about something at halftime. then in the 2nd half they fall behind again, score, only to have brady put them in a 2 td hole b/c of turnovers.

[QUOTE=augustiniak;4232326]you can blame any pass that has a bad result on the qb, [B]but at what point does the intended receiver bear the responsibility for not catching something that hits him right in the hands?[/B] and if the response is that greene isn't a great pass catcher and you have to throw it differently to him, my response is that you shouldn't be throwing it to him repeatedly when you have 6 other guys who have better hands than he does. maybe more.[/QUOTE]

It's a judgment thing. In the case of Greene, he gave every effort to catch what was obviously way too high and too hard. Greene was only standing about 30 feet away. It looked like Sanchez was trying to connect with Plax standing some 25 yards away.

This was clearly not Greene's fault. Sanchez had the deer in the headlights look just like he had all game long. The Greene pass was just another example of what happens when your QB gets antsy and doesn't have a very good pocket presence.

All League
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Klingon;4232142]I know Mike Westhoff's **** smells like Febreeze and all and you're not allowed to question him under any circumstances, but what was McKnight doing out there fielding a punt to begin with?

And, this isn't second-guessing. I said it before the play happened.[/QUOTE]

Yep yep and yep.

When they said McKnight was back there...first thing I thought of....here comes the fumble.