Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is not a Rex Ryan Defense

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not a Rex Ryan Defense

We were supposed to win this game. Last week the NE offense looked ridiculous. The Jets Defense looked like a boa constrictor - it strangled the Bills.
    Yesterday, the NE offense made the Jets defense look like amateurs. The hallmark of a good defense is the defense will make a Tom Brady pay for a hurry up offense. But we paid.

We may both make the playoffs, but when we get there, what's to stop them from doing that again? We need a better defensive coordinator.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pettine sucks. Hes been under the radar for years. Hes too blame for this poor performance of the defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4232658]Pettine sucks. Hes been under the radar for years. Hes too blame for this poor performance of the defense.[/QUOTE]

This post makes no sense, if he was there for 6 years he's been there for the good D's. Why is it his fault all of a sudden?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232681]This post makes no sense, if he was there for 6 years he's been there for the good D's. Why is it his fault all of a sudden?[/QUOTE]

All the faults with the defense since Rex has been here are on Pettine. Hes been masked by everyone blaming Schotte and the offense and the reason why we lose. I bet you dont even know who Rich Pettine is.

Good Ds? We havent won jack **** with him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4232717]All the faults with the defense since Rex has been here are on Pettine. Hes been masked by everyone blaming Schotte and the offense and the reason why we lose. I bet you dont even know who Rich Pettine is.

Good Ds? We havent won jack **** with him.[/QUOTE]

We had a very good D in '09 and a pretty good one in '10. He was there for both of them.

When asking if I know Rich Pettine, I assume you mean Mike Pettine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232724]We had a very good D in '09 and a pretty good one in '10. He was there for both of them.

When asking if I know Rich Pettine, I assume you mean Mike Pettine.[/QUOTE]

Yes Mike Pettine im under the weather today. Which doesnt help with the loss.

Pretty good doesnt win Super Bowls.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The poor defense is on Bob Ryan and no one else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4232727]The poor defense is on Bob Ryan and no one else.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making me laugh in class.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4232727]The poor defense is on Bob Ryan and no one else.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more Meg Ryan but you could be right..:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaveInNNJ;4232403]We were supposed to win this game. Last week the NE offense looked ridiculous. The Jets Defense looked like a boa constrictor - it strangled the Bills.
    Yesterday, the NE offense made the Jets defense look like amateurs. The hallmark of a good defense is the defense will make a Tom Brady pay for a hurry up offense. But we paid.

We may both make the playoffs, but when we get there, what's to stop them from doing that again? We need a better defensive coordinator.[/QUOTE]

Food for thought! I agree about Pettine. he was never a Dc before he came to us with REX. His inexperience may be showing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marty Schottenheimer has to go too!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4232732]Food for thought! I agree about Pettine. he was never a Dc before he came to us with REX. His inexperience may be showing.[/QUOTE]

Thank You finally someone else who sees this. Being a friend of Rex doesnt automatically make the man an NFL coach.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, our problem on defense is not the DC or the scheme or anything like that. If it was, that would be a pretty easy fix - just fire the DC and bring in someone new.

Our problem is the players. They lack talent. And, unfortunately, it will take several years to upgrade the talent to a point where this team is a legitimate Superbowl contender.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaveInNNJ;4232403]We were supposed to win this game. Last week the NE offense looked ridiculous. The Jets Defense looked like a boa constrictor - it strangled the Bills.

We may both make the playoffs, but when we get there, what's to stop them from doing that again? We need a better defensive coordinator.[/QUOTE]

Well, according to Rex just night, he thinks Mike Pettine is an exceptional DC. So thinking we are going to get another DC is not going to happen.

Now, another OC? Or another QB after the season? I think those are very real possibilities at this point. People have been complaining for a very long time about Shotty now. I also think that the Sanchez supporters are running out of excuses for him. It's time for him to play football and start to do things worthy of being taken 5th overall. That hasn't happened, Last night was just another prime example of that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4232737]Thank You finally someone else who sees this. [B]Being a friend of Rex doesnt automatically make the man an NFL coach[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yet posting on JI does make you smarter then one.. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop the presses!!! A Tom Brady led offense scored 30 points on the Jets Defense -- and only 10 of those points were off turnovers!!! That DC must be crap to let bums like Brady, Welker, Branch, Ocho Cinco, Gronkowski and Henandez score 3 TD's and 3 FG's :eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4232743]Yet posting on JI does make you smarter then one.. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be. Im offering my opinion the same as you.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4232739]Well, according to Rex just night, he thinks Mike Pettine is an exceptional DC. So thinking we are going to get another DC is not going to happen.

Now, another OC? Or another QB after the season? I think those are very real possibilities at this point. People have been complaining for a very long time about Shotty now. I also think that the Sanchez supporters are running out of excuses for him. It's time for him to play football and start to do things worthy of being taken 5th overall. That hasn't happened, Last night was just another prime example of that.[/QUOTE]

Rex will throw people under the bus in the following order:

- At the end of this season, Schottenheimer will be **** canned. And, same new Jets fans will go into the 2012 season thinking that our problems are solved. With our fantastic new offensive coordinator in place, whoever that is, Rex will once again guarantee a Superbowl. And fail.

- At the end of the 2012 season, Pettine will be ousted. Same new Jets fans will be tremendously excited about the defense under our new genius defensive coordinator, whoever that is. Rex will once again promise a Superbowl win. And fail.

- At the end of the 2013 season, Mark Sanchez will be released. Same new Jets fans will usher in a new era under a new QB, whoever that is. Excitement will fill the air. Rex will assure us that this is the year we win a Superbowl. And fail.

Finally, Rex will be run out of town. Woody Johnson will hire the next hot coordinator or college coach prospect. This one will be a straight-laced disciplinarian. Same new Jets fans will say this is just what we need - enough of the "players coaches" already! That coach will enjoy short-lived success. And fail.

And fail. And fail. And fail.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? Why? Do you think that he had some major success against NE when he was with the Ravens or something? I'm not even sure he ever beat NE when he coached D with the Ravens.

Rex has won some games against NE as a Jets coach but he's lost a lot more during his career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4232737]Thank You finally someone else who sees this. Being a friend of Rex doesnt automatically make the man an NFL coach.[/QUOTE]

It's not the level of "all" the talent. It's the lack of top shelf talent. The Jets D needs two more impact players. Look at the great Raven D's, the've got impact players at multiple levels: On the line- Ngata - at LB - Suggs/Lewis -- and in the secondary -- Reed. The Jets have Revis at CB - a position that lets you erase one WR on the opposing team. The Jets need an impact player in at least 2 of 3 spots -- OLB, FS, DL. Put players of the caliber of Ngata and Suggs on the Jets D and it is a game changer. While the Jets have drafted well, they've failed to hit on high round impact players on the D. Hopefully Wilkerson and Ellis will become dominent lineman leaving the Jets to find an impact OLB and FS.

Coaching becomes so mush easier when you have great players at impact positions. Of course QB is the ultimate impact player since he touches the ball on every play. Just ask BB. Brady's been making him look like a genius for years.