Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greene/LT average 5.0 yards per carry...only 20 carries?

This was issue right from the opening kickoff. The first 5 weeks of the season the Jets attempt to air out and are a 2-3 team that was lucky to beat Dallas and Jacksonville is just awful. We go back to the ground and pound that has served us so well for the last 2 years and win 3 in a row. Big game against the Patriots and some genius decides to air it out again. Just dumb, not sure if this was Schotty or Rex, but what an awful game plan. The Pats have the worse pass defense, blah, blah, blah... Running the ball down their throats shortens the game, keeps Brady on the bench and demoralizes a defense that has looked awful. Combine that with some awful turnovers and there you have it a fresh ass kicking for the Jets in a game they should have won.

All League
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4233029]Teams that run the ball a lot usually win games, but that's not why they win. They run in the 4th quarter BECAUSE they're winning which increases there run totals. We were down two scores when we finally got the ball back with 8 minutes or so left in the fourth quarter.

Did you want to go out and ground and pound at that point?[/QUOTE]

You're busy focusing on the last 8 minutes of the game, what about the first 3 quarters?

Greene had 10 carry's in the first half and it was a one score game. That's the type of game the Jets play. They will always be close. They neglected the run at points in the game and put themselves in their own hole. They have to get Greene going at some point, and when the tipped INT happened they gave it up.

[QUOTE=CharlotteJetsGuy;4233047]This was issue right from the opening kickoff. The first 5 weeks of the season the Jets attempt to air out and are a 2-3 team that was lucky to beat Dallas and Jacksonville is just awful. We go back to the ground and pound that has served us so well for the last 2 years and win 3 in a row. Big game against the Patriots and some genius decides to air it out again. Just dumb, not sure if this was Schotty or Rex, but what an awful game plan. The Pats have the worse pass defense, blah, blah, blah... Running the ball down their throats shortens the game, keeps Brady on the bench and demoralizes a defense that has looked awful. Combine that with some awful turnovers and there you have it a fresh ass kicking for the Jets in a game they should have won.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much everyone on this site wanted schotty to air it out against the pats prior to the game. It's nice that everyone can now say how stupid it was to pass. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    The best teams in this league make the necessary adjustments based on what is transpiring during the game.

The Jets running backs were running the ball well, and the offensive line was getting a very good push all game long. The Jets pass blocking was mostly ineffective.

On the other side of the ball, a future HOF QB was firing on all cylinders and playing his A game. The best and only way to stop him is to keep him off the field.

It's amazing to me that some fans are justifying our clearly failed strategy because of a preconception of a bad passing defense. All signs pointed to pound the rock until the Patriots stop it, and for some unexplainable reason, we didn't. We played right into their hands instead of dictating the terms of the game ourselves.

All League
    This was my biggest complaint too.... they kept comparing the opneing drive in this game to the Bills game, but the 2 were not alike... This game, we marched down and failed, but failed quickly.... Buffalo, we marched down and failed, but the drive was almost 10 min long...

Those long drives were what we needed and we needed to stay run heavy, even if their 2ndary was banged up...

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4233052]Pretty much everyone on this site wanted schotty to air it out against the pats prior to the game. It's nice that everyone can now say how stupid it was to pass. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Oh have you been elected the voice of everyone? :rolleyes, If you can find a post from suggesting the Jets air it out Sunday, please show it. You won't.

Practice Squad
    I remember when Shonn Greene used to knock guys out of their boots! These days he seems to have taken the collapsable legs technique from LT, this is one of the things hampering his yardage also. I cant fault the guy for not wanting to risk injury but, i used to enjoy watching him knock people TFO!

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4233052]Pretty much everyone on this site wanted schotty to air it out against the pats prior to the game. It's nice that everyone can now say how stupid it was to pass. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Air it out and Mark Sanchez are mutually exclusive.

If everybody on the site was saying that, then everybody on the site is a complete moron.

You can air it out when your QB doesn't turn into a ballerina as soon as somebody gets within 18 inches of him.............and he doesn't throw every pass either high or behind guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232611]jetsteam thinks of good post
    in hampur jetsteam thread
    have more attention
    oh no
    alas
    what happened?
    [B]jetstream move thread[/B]
    thread on landing strip
    no one read thread here[/QUOTE]

lol

I wish, but I can't move threads any better than Sanchez can move the chains. :O

[QUOTE=Funaz;4233015]I like how in the beginning of the game we were getting 6 yards a clip running. 2nd and 4 after a 6 yard run we empty the backfield to have 5 recievers run 4 yard routes.

Every time we emptied the backfield they simply rushed the passer and got there way to quick. Mulligan had a horrible game, and so did Moore and Dbrick.

Still when your running like that you set up the pass with play action not empty the backfield and let them t off on the qb.[/QUOTE]
    Abandoning the run and playaction for the lottery passes was just criminal. WTF kind of gameplan was that?? That bastid went back to Jekyll and Hyde bull**** and that more than anything cost us the game. How hard it is it to understand? Maintain possession (high %age running plays) which also keeps friggin Brady off the field. The problem with Shoddy is that his ego likes to write cheques that his a$$ cant cash. F!!

giving up 5 sacks to a team that could not rush a pee wee team did not help either. This was a total team disaster[QUOTE=jetstream23;4232428]Why is there such a lack of commitment to the run, even when it's successful?

Greene averaged 4.7 yards on only 13 carries....and his long was 8. It's not like his average is being inflated by one single 40 yard run.

Sanchez throws for 306 yards?

I think the story of this game is simply...

1. No points on opening drive into redzone.
    2. Fumble by McKnight
    3. Two tipped/deflected passes for interceptions

Dat's it! You can't overcome those mistakes against even a mediocre Pats team when they still have Tom Brady. Patriots had 0 turnovers, Jets had 3. Not gonna win like that.

BUT STILL, only 13 carries for Greene? :huh:[/QUOTE]

So here's the rush attempts for the first three quarters in the Bills game where we "committed to the run" and the Pats game where Schotty was a retard and got away from the run too quick:

vs Bills
    1st Quarter: 8
    2nd Quarter: 6
    3rd Quarter: 6

vs Pats
    1st Quarter: 7
    2nd Quarter: 7
    3rd Quarter: 7

The difference was we were ahead in the 4th quarter against the Bills and we were down two TD's with about 8 minutes left when we got the ball in the 4th against the Pats.

Damn Schotty for not sticking with the run!
    Last edited by My.Favorite.Martin; 11-14-2011 at 06:17 PM.