Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reasonable Breakdown of our Playoff Chances

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4232639]What I like about this thread is that it acknowledges that the Jets can only beat crappy NFL teams. Wait till next year.[/QUOTE]

We can only beat who we play...

Each team only gets 2-3 games against great teams.

Last year [SIZE="6"]ON OUR RUN TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME[/SIZE] who did we beat in the regular season? The Pats once while they were still on their learning curve? The Steelers only to be beaten by them later? I really only count the Steelers there. Last year we beat ONE good team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS, In terms of the Eagles, Vick's gotta couple of broken ribs. That'll encourage Mr. Accurate to run more I'm sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4232639]What I like about this thread is that it acknowledges that the Jets can only beat crappy NFL teams. Wait till next year.[/QUOTE]

ok great, so do us all a favor and stop watching them the rest of the way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232442]Here is our remaining schedule:

@Denver
    Buff
    @Washington
    Kansas City
    @ Philadelphia
    NY Giants
    @ Miami

Easy Wins: Denver, Washington, Miami
    Probably Win: Kansas City, Buffalo, Philadelphia (they'll be cashing their season checks about the time we play them)
    50-50 Chance or worse of winning: NY Giants.

[/QUOTE]

Yes that looks like a fairly easy schedule........but keep in mind that the Pats play the exact same teams, except that they play the Colts instead of the Giants.

Kansas City
    @ Philadelphia
    Indy
    @Washington
    @ Denver
    Dolphins
    Bills

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BluVayner;4232654]Yes that looks like a fairly easy schedule........but keep in mind that the Pats play the exact same teams, except that they play the Colts instead of the Giants.

Kansas City
    @ Philadelphia
    Indy
    @Washington
    @ Denver
    Dolphins
    Bills[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my whole breakdown was in terms of the WC. We're out of the division race.

PS...Only reason people say Pats have the easiest sched is because they have the 0-10 Colts left. We play the exact same teams as they do other than replacing the Colts with the Gmen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;4232653]ok great, so do us all a favor and stop watching them the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

Why are you watching? You already plugged in the W's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4232670]Why are you watching? You already plugged in the W's.[/QUOTE]

Gotta make sure we get those W's. If we don't watch, they might get the W's...since, ya know, us watching does a whole lot. :D

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    9-7 and a miss is most likely.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232674]Gotta make sure we get those W's. If we don't watch, they might get the W's...since, ya know, us watching does a whole lot. :D[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to back in again, win the NFL lottery, avoid having to actually win our division on the way to a SB run that actually runs the table.

Right after I buy a lotto ticket I enjoy imagining what I'm going do with all the money I win. Unfortunately getting rich usually takes a real plan. Winning a SB usually takes having a great football team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4232500]I don't know how much it matters if we do make the playoffs. It seems obvious at this point that we cannot beat the top tier teams in the league this year. The Pats aren't even that good this year and we can't beat them.

Let's be honest do you think the Jets have a chance of winning three games against these teams to go to the superbowl? I'd be surprised if they won one.
    Steelers
    Ravens
    Texans
    Patriots
    Raiders

No chance, sorry. The rest of the season is about growing Sanchez, our rookie d-linemen and trying to find someone on the roster that can cover TE's from the safety position. I'm sure that's not how Rex or the Jets see it, and they shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

This.

I still want to make the playoffs, to say we've made it again (and hey, you never know) but baring substantial improvement, I see no chance we go on the road and beat the Pats, Steelers, or Ravens. Hell, the Texans are damn good this year.

Really, our only shot at winning a playoff game is to play the Raiders, and s**t, they already beat us this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, Kansas City at home is a much "easier" game than Denver on the road, in a short week, Thursday night.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232648]We can only beat who we play...

Each team only gets 2-3 games against great teams.

Last year [SIZE="6"]ON OUR RUN TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME[/SIZE] who did we beat in the regular season? The Pats once while they were still on their learning curve? The Steelers only to be beaten by them later? I really only count the Steelers there. Last year we beat ONE good team.[/QUOTE]

What? And what learning curve was that? Moss played that whole game, there wasn't a change in philosophy when we beat them last year. Jets played a hell of a game with great mid-game adjustments. Stop trying downplay it. Jets beat the Pats and the Steelers in the regular season last year. One team was the 1 seed in the AFC, and the other represented our conference in the Superbowl. Jets lost to a banged up Packers team that won the superbowl. Of their 5 losses last year, only one came from a team that missed the playoffs. You can only play who's on your schedule.

I'm not concerned with Teabag mainly because Maybin can play a great spy on him in an effort to keep contain. If Maybin continues to bounce off people like Brady last night this will be pointless, but this is really where his speed is going to come in handy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4232708]It would be nice to back in again, win the NFL lottery, avoid having to actually win our division on the way to a SB run that actually runs the table.

Right after I buy a lotto ticket I enjoy imagining what I'm going do with all the money I win. Unfortunately getting rich usually takes a real plan. Winning a SB usually takes having a great football team.[/QUOTE]

Just quickly looking, 3 of the last 4 superbowls have had wildcard teams...I don't really think that gives wildcard teams the same odds as the lotto for making it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232718]Just quickly looking, 3 of the last 4 superbowls have had wildcard teams...I don't really think that gives wildcard teams the same odds as the lotto for making it.[/QUOTE]

Agree. I just don't see this team being anywhere close to as good as those 3 teams particularly at QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good shot at the Jets making the playoffs as a wildcard. Very average team. Erratic. Sign of lack of discipline. That's on the coach.
    Plus where is this overwhelming talent everyone is talking about?
    Mangold - excellent. Brick- very good. Revis - excellent. And then? Rest of OL? DL? LBs? Safety? TE - eh. QB - Sanchez is ranked #18 - perhaps part of the problem? RB - people act like Shonn Greene is Jim Brown, Franco Harris and Barry Sanders all rolled up into one. Right. Averaging less than 4YPC. One of the worst of NFL starters.
    Loaded with talent? Let's all try to be objective.
    They beat a Buff team that has been exposed as junk. Dallas - eh. Miami - terrible. Jax - poor. SD - ok but always has been a bunch of chokers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4232750]Agree. I just don't see this team being anywhere close to as good as those 3 teams particularly at QB.[/QUOTE]

Like Manning during his regular season in 2007? In his third season.
    He of the 3,336, 23 TDS, and 20 INTS?

Compared to our third year QB Sanchez who is on pace for about...
    3,700 yards. 27 TDs and 17 INTS.

No, Sanchez isn't Manning according to the stats. He's better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232718]Just quickly looking, 3 of the last 4 superbowls have had wildcard teams...I don't really think that gives wildcard teams the same odds as the lotto for making it.[/QUOTE]

Only two of the last four have had wild card teams.

'10 had the Packers.
    '09 was 1 seed vs. 1 seed.
    '08 was 2 seed vs. 4 seed (I'm guessing you though the Cards were a wild card team, but they actually won their division and played 2 of their 3 playoff games at home)
    '07 had the Giants.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4232825]Only two of the last four have had wild card teams.

'10 had the Packers.
    '09 was 1 seed vs. 1 seed.
    '08 was 2 seed vs. 4 seed (I'm guessing you though the Cards were a wild card team, but they actually won their division and played 2 of their 3 playoff games at home)
    '07 had the Giants.[/QUOTE]

Good catch on the Cards, I forgot they won their division at 9-7. I remembered the 9-7 part, not the division part.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4232851]Good catch on the Cards, I forgot they won their division at 9-7. I remembered the 9-7 part, not the division part.[/QUOTE]

Well, they wouldn't have sniffed a Wild Card in either conference and were only in the playoffs because of that pitiful division, so I can't blame you.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would be funny if the Pats lost to Miami, Denver, Buffalo AND the Colts(u know they are due for ONE win) LOL.

And if the Jets win against Denver, Buffalo, Miami AND most of their other games.

I know. NOT gonna play out this way. But it would be sweet. Heh heh heh.

Look at it this way....the Jets knocked the PATS out of the playoffs last year and went onto the championship. And this year the Pats have a much worse team IMHO. Yeah, they beat us twice already....or rather....WE beat ourselves with stupid mistakes.

But for some reason the Jets always seem to do better as underdogs.

I would have loved for the Jets to have beaten the Pats last night and grabbed the division....but i am not worried about the Jets making the playoffs. Anyone who thinks this year is over now is not only dillusional....but a lame excuse for a fan. Just sayin' :-P