1) New Offensive Coordinator
2) Veteran QB to compete for job in camp next year who isn't God Awful (No Derek Anderson, yes Kyle Orton)
5) RB (Home run hitter, could be McKnight, sample is too small)
6) Pass Rushing DE/LB
7) Safety (ech)
Perhaps above all else,
Rotational Defensive Line depth. Big fatties need breathers. Biggest difference on defense from this year to last.
in all seriousness Bart Scott has become a liability. they were running hurry up to pass while he' was on the field. He's useful in very limited situations and the might need a big time ILB like T'eo, Burfict or Hightower to replace him.
[QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4233323]The problem is teams will just spread us out and still attack our safeties.
Revis, Cro, and Wilson. Fantastic if going 3 wide. But then the Pats just went 4 wide and even 5 wide. That means our safeties have to get int he mix... and it's game over no matter how many pass rushers you have.
Get both OLB and Safety positions. Unfortunately the OLB class this year is nothing special and colleges arn't using traditional safeties anymore[/QUOTE]
A safety or 2 would not hurt since that is also a below average position but a pass rush masks a lot of blemish's
[QUOTE=Guitarjet;4233387] The sad part is it may take a whole season just to gel a new offensive coaching staff and playbook. We are once again two years away!!!![/QUOTE]
Not necesssarily. I whole heartedly agree with you on all points except this one. I say unless the team loses every game into December, Brian Schottenheimer's last day is Monday, Feb. 6, 2012.
I also think if Rex brings in "his guy" at OC next year, there is going to be a total 180 to the positive during the off season. The team will have plenty of time to gel with the new players & coaches along with being afforded OTA's and training camps.
[QUOTE=KingofNY;4233705]A new OC will fix most of our problems. Faster LB's and a better safety would help as well. Notice how no one says we need any help on offense? It's because our players are good, our coaching sucks.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree with you more. Greene, McKnight, Holmes, Burress, Kerley, KELLER, Sanchez (developing and staying). There's one problem here and it's not the personnel...
1) OC- Done with Schottenheimer. More than seen enough...for years. He's the one constant variable.
2) Safety- Done watching Eric Smith get destroyed every week against TEs. This has also been an issue since last season and it needs to be addressed. We don't need a first round safety. You can find good value later on. It just needs to be fixed. For the short term, when Pool comes back I insert him as starter.
3) Pass Rush- someone like Vinny Curry or Courtney Upshaw. Speed rusher from the OLB spot. I'd probably look for this in the 1st round. Maybe someone like Lavonte David too from Nebraska. He's good at covering TEs/RBs which has been a problem for our LBs.
4) OL Depth
5) WR- young guy in the later rounds to groom, maybe take the spot of Plax eventually.
[QUOTE=bitonti;4233339]in all seriousness Bart Scott has become a liability. they were running hurry up to pass while he' was on the field. He's useful in very limited situations and the might need a big time ILB like T'eo, Burfict or Hightower to replace him.[/QUOTE]
why? besides his 5+ seasons of stupidity? the offense influences the defense. when the offense is doing well this defense even with their lack of a great pass rusher or safeties is capable of shutting down just about any team. it's a shame that the offense can not score enough points so the defense can play with a lead. oh yeah i know the schitty apologists are going to point to the times when the jets did have a lead and gave up go ahead points in the 4th quarter. but most of those games were back and forth affairs where the other team was leading for much of the game.
this whole nonsense of not scoring in the first quarter or putting together a string of 3 and outs has got to stop.
3. ILB is actually a bigger need than OLB with Scott needing a successor after this season.[/QUOTE]
Not sure if its a bigger need but i agree with you that its a big need- probably more so than most people think. Bart Scott needs to be replaced(Chris Gocong?).We need someone more athletic who can tackle.