Thread: Five Seasons...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Five Seasons...

That's how long it took now beloved by the NY/national media QB Eli Manning to become even competent.

Remember when Manning was "garbage?" Fans and media wanted to run him out of town.

Look at Manning's stats for his career:
    Year 1 (7 GS): 48.2 % comp, 1043 yds, 6 TD, 9 INT
    Year 2: 52.8 % comp, 3762 yds, 24 TD, 17 INT
    Year 3: 57.7%, 3244 yds, 24 TD, 18 INT
    Year 4: 56.1%, 3336 yds, 23 TD, 20 INT
    Year 5: 60.3%, 3238 yds, 21 TD, 10 INT
    Year 6: 62.3%, 4021 yds, 27 TD, 14 INT
    Year 7: 62.9%, 4002 yds, 31 TD, 25 INT
    Year 8 (so far): 63.1%, 2688 yds, 17 TD, 8 INT

Sanchez's career stats:
    Year 1: 53.8%, 2444 yds, 12 TD, 20 INT
    Year 2: 54.8%, 3291 yds, 17 TD, 13 INT
    Year 3 (so far): 56.7%, 2081 yds, 14 TD, 9 INT

It took Eli Manning, who many are now saying is in the MVP discussion, until his FIFTH season to have a completion percentage of 60%.

Manning threw 1363 passes in his college career at Ole Miss. Sanchez threw 487 in his at USC.

If there were ever a guy who would have been well served by sitting a season or two behind a veteran backup it would have been Sanchez. But he was thrown into the fire right away. He has attempted 1169 passes as a NFL QB. That's less than Manning attempted in his [I]college[/I] career.

Yet many are done with Sanchez, ready to blame all the Jets' troubles on him. What most are expect out of him in year three are unrealistic. He's raw. He has started one year in college and two in the NFL.

Sanchez has attempted 1654 passes in his college/pro career. Rookie Andy Dalton, who is being lauded right now, has attempted just 50 less, 1604, between his 4 yrs as a starter at TCU and this season with the Bengals.

You can judge Sanchez as you would typically judge a 3rd year QB but you'd be making a mistake. His actual on-field passing experience is near the equivalent of a rookie with lots of college experience, like Dalton.

As a junior starter with USC, Sanchez completed 65.8% of his passes for 3207 yards, 34 TDs and 10 INTs. I still believe that is his ceiling no matter what anyone else says about him right now.

Writing off Sanchez now, midway through year three is a mistake. See Eli Manning and Alex Smith on that one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's the guy and will be for at least another 2 to 3 years. It doesn't mean people cannot be a tad distressed to see him look suspect out there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4233391]He's the guy and will be for at least another 2 to 3 years. It doesn't mean people cannot be a tad distressed to see him look suspect out there.[/QUOTE]

I think 'tad distressed' is an overstatement from what I saw/heard today. I understand the frustration with Sanchez but to lay it all on him is not right. I've read people saying he's not the answer, it was a waste of draft picks, and on and on.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said yesterday he is part of the problem. That doesn't mean he's garbage but he is also the reason the offense is really crapping up the house. He cannot get a free pass either. I would like to see how he does without Shott.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wepnx;4233462]I said yesterday he is part of the problem. That doesn't mean he's garbage but he is also the reason the offense is really crapping up the house. He cannot get a free pass either. I would like to see how he does without Shott.[/QUOTE]

I typically like continuity on a coaching staff over yearly upheaval (Raiders) but the one variable in QB problems with the Jets has been Schottenheimer. I know we haven't had Pro Bowl QBs here but I don't think he has improved the offense and if anything he's made it worse.

The Jets decided they wanted to roll with a very raw, inexperienced college QB right from the get-go. We're facing the consequences of it now. That said, I do think he had moments, i.e. some of the comebacks last season, the playoffs games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez will be fine. It's REXY that I'm nervous about..Seriously. Sanchez is a young developing QB who needs a mentor. Someone like Holmgren. Sadly Rex doesn't have a clue about offense and leaves Sanchez's development up to Schotty. There has to be someone out there next year to become the next OC who has had success developing QB's.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;4233611]Sanchez will be fine. It's REXY that I'm nervous about..Seriously. Sanchez is a young developing QB who needs a mentor. Someone like Holmgren. Sadly Rex doesn't have a clue about offense and leaves Sanchez's development up to Schotty. There has to be someone out there next year to become the next OC who has had success developing QB's.[/QUOTE]

Norv Turner anyone?;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not easy to play for a franchise that is so hungry for a Super Bowl trophy in a city where instant gratification takes too long. Thanks for reminding us that Sanchez is still developing

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BlueDevilJet29;4233382]That's how long it took now beloved by the NY/national media QB Eli Manning to become even competent.

Remember when Manning was "garbage?" Fans and media wanted to run him out of town.

Look at Manning's stats for his career:
    Year 1 (7 GS): 48.2 % comp, 1043 yds, 6 TD, 9 INT
    Year 2: 52.8 % comp, 3762 yds, 24 TD, 17 INT
    Year 3: 57.7%, 3244 yds, 24 TD, 18 INT
    Year 4: 56.1%, 3336 yds, 23 TD, 20 INT
    Year 5: 60.3%, 3238 yds, 21 TD, 10 INT
    Year 6: 62.3%, 4021 yds, 27 TD, 14 INT
    Year 7: 62.9%, 4002 yds, 31 TD, 25 INT
    Year 8 (so far): 63.1%, 2688 yds, 17 TD, 8 INT

Sanchez's career stats:
    Year 1: 53.8%, 2444 yds, 12 TD, 20 INT
    Year 2: 54.8%, 3291 yds, 17 TD, 13 INT
    Year 3 (so far): 56.7%, 2081 yds, 14 TD, 9 INT

It took Eli Manning, who many are now saying is in the MVP discussion, until his FIFTH season to have a completion percentage of 60%.

Manning threw 1363 passes in his college career at Ole Miss. Sanchez threw 487 in his at USC.

If there were ever a guy who would have been well served by sitting a season or two behind a veteran backup it would have been Sanchez. But he was thrown into the fire right away. He has attempted 1169 passes as a NFL QB. That's less than Manning attempted in his [I]college[/I] career.

Yet many are done with Sanchez, ready to blame all the Jets' troubles on him. What most are expect out of him in year three are unrealistic. He's raw. [B]He has started one year in college[/B] and two in the NFL.

Sanchez has attempted 1654 passes in his college/pro career. Rookie Andy Dalton, who is being lauded right now, has attempted just 50 less, 1604, between his 4 yrs as a starter at TCU and this season with the Bengals.

You can judge Sanchez as you would typically judge a 3rd year QB but you'd be making a mistake. His actual on-field passing experience is near the equivalent of a rookie with lots of college experience, like Dalton.

[B]As a junior starter with USC, Sanchez completed 65.8% of his passes for 3207 yards, 34 TDs and 10 INTs. I still believe that is his ceiling no matter what anyone else says about him right now.[/B]

Writing off Sanchez now, midway through year three is a mistake. See Eli Manning and Alex Smith on that one.[/QUOTE]

Good breakdown of both Eli & Mark's stats. But because of Sanchez's lack of playing time in college, it's hard for me to see what his ceiling is. One year in college (12 games) isn't enough to really analyze a player. I'll never forget when Sanchez announced he was skipping his Senior year to go pro. Pete Carroll felt he needed more time to develop. And we know why he left early-it was a weak draft year for QB's, and if he really wanted to get a jackpot the time to get it was then. But in reality he wasn't ready. He has imroved in managing games and the Jets have protected him. But I'm still not sure if he can rise above just managing games and not screwing things up.