Thread: Cord Blood Banks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Cord Blood Banks

As some of you who frequent the hampur might remember my wife is expecting our first child so because of this I just recently learned about the practice of cord blood banking.

When I first heard about it, it was a no brainer; a few thousand bucks to keep something that can potentially save my child's life...And if this cord blood banking really does what the banks claims it does I'll happily shell out a few thousand bucks as insurance but the more I read on the subject the more I become convinced it's just a scam.

I'd love to hear any personal experiences? Anyone did this for their kids why why not?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Turk;4234113]As some of you who frequent the hampur might remember my wife is expecting our first child so because of this I just recently learned about the practice of cord blood banking.

When I first heard about it, it was a no brainer; a few thousand bucks to keep something that can potentially save my child's life...And if this cord blood banking really does what the banks claims it does I'll happily shell out a few thousand bucks as insurance but the more I read on the subject the more I become convinced it's just a scam.

I'd love to hear any personal experiences? Anyone did this for their kids why why not?[/QUOTE]

I did it because of the guilt factor. It becomes a what if thing. I'm not sure it was worth it though. I am still kicking in $100 per year for the maintenance. I'd love to see a single story where someone saved the cord blood and actually needed it for something. I've looked and haven't seen a thing on the topic.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4234125]I did it because of the guilt factor. It becomes a what if thing. I'm not sure it was worth it though. I am still kicking in $100 per year for the maintenance. I'd love to see a single story where someone saved the cord blood and actually needed it for something. I've looked and haven't seen a thing on the topic.[/QUOTE]

I'm much the same. I did it with my first son because it seemed the prudent thing to do. I was skeptical the second time around but how could I do it for one but not the other? I ran it past our Pediatrician and he gave us the shoulder shrug of "Why not?"

I wouldn't say its a scam, but right now, there doesn't seem to be a viable use for it. But, that's not to say that 7 years down the road there won't be.

I don't miss the money that I spent on it, and if there is even a 1% chance that it could come in to play if god forbid one of my kids has a life threatening disease, its money well spent.

If the money was at all an issue, I wouldn't bother with and wouldn't give it a second thought.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did it for our two kids at Cord Blood Registry. I forget how much it was, thinking about $1000-1500 for the initial banking. The annual fee for my first is $95 but it has risen to $125 with our second child. For $220/year it's kind of like a little insurance policy that could absolutely never be used and all that money is toast, but as was said earlier, what if....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess everyone is thinking more or less the same thing, what really gets me is that I feel like a sucker knowing that these banks are playing on that what if scenario.

But at the end of the day it's much better to whine about a bad investment than the alternative so I'll probably do it too.

What's not really clear to me is that can the cord blood be used for the person that it has been collected from? From what I've read it seems like it is not because it's probably going to be susceptible to the same faults that created the sickness in the first place but it's really good to have for a sibling that's having problems but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't.

I think medicine will come up with cures for just about anything in 20-30 years...once they stop focusing on making boner pills.