Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie RB Bilal Powell likely to be active vs. Denver

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Rookie RB Bilal Powell likely to be active vs. Denver

[QUOTE]TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

Jets rookie RB Bilal Powell will be active for 1st time Thurs vs Broncos assuming Tomlinson (MCL) can't play. Cautious approach:Rest LT

1 hour ago[/QUOTE]

[url]http://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream[/url]

Excited to see him play

Jets Insider VIP
    Smart move on LT. Time to see some Bilal! Would be great if the Jets could control a game from start to finish one time and let Bilal get 10 carries in the second half.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4234139]Smart move on LT. Time to see some Bilal! Would be great if the Jets could control a game from start to finish one time and let Bilal get 10 carries in the second half.[/QUOTE]

Certainly curious to see what Powell might bring to the table but I would be more excited to see Shonne Green get 30 carries and see what he is truly capable of.

I also said yesterday, you never know what you have until its gone and I hope we don't miss LT too much. As much as his role has been diminished, he is a big part of what we do on offense.

Banned
    Doesn't mean anything. Schottenheimer doesn't run the ball anyway.

All League
    I'm very excited about this. I would love to see him get some meaningful carries. This kid can run between the tackles, and has enough speed and moves to get past the secondary for long runs.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;4234152]Doesn't mean anything. Schottenheimer doesn't run the ball anyway.[/QUOTE]

Which is why we were #1 and #3 in rushing the last 2 years.

I'm more excited to see McKnight get more touches than Powell. Hopefully he's up to speed on his blitz pickups because Denver can definitely bring the heat.

cutback

jets have not had a cut-back runner in a long time .. will be nice to see a jets rb able to cut-back and expose the weakside of a defense

I would assume powell might see a wee bit of duty but I would be surprised if McKnight did not assume LT's spot on offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    I believe Powell will only be used if either greene or mcknight gets hurt.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4234257]I believe Powell will only be used if either greene or mcknight gets hurt.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I agree. But, I think Bilal would be great in our zone blocking scheme.

Release the Powell!

He will be active, but Sh!tty will not use him. Non factor.

I really hope Bilal Powell gets some playing time finally

Shonn Greene isn't a "featured" back. He's a change up power running back. Don't like him in pass blocking or receiving situations. He also needs massive holes to get any good type of run. We need a solid runner who can cut back with more explosion and Powell's fresh legs just might be the cure. Dallas's rookie RB is a 6th round draft pick and it took a while for him be effective but we need fresh legs in there. Bilal could just be the guy ... Rex said his progression is that of Greene's 2 years ago midway thru the season and that he's really developing. Hopefully he gets some playing time asap .... u never know we could catch lightning in a bottle with this kid.

I'm all for it, Greene hasn't been bad of late but like you said he's not a feature back and I really can't see Powell doing much worse it's time to give him a shot. I thought McKnight my get more of a shot but it seems like the Jets wanna use him as more of a "jack of all trades" Brad Smith type.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I wonder how many touches Rex will give him in his first game, a must-win. I do think he'll be a good NFL back eventually.

Jets Insider VIP
    You never really know what kind of car you have until you take it for a drive. Dallas has learned that with their rookie. They may have a new starting RB now.

I hope we get Powell some carries, enough to see what he has. Who knows...diamond in the rough?

I'd rather see Powell get carries than McKnight, precisely because of the point that you brought up about Greene. Greene is not a feature back, and I don't think McKnight is either. They're both change of pace guys, Greene for power, McKnight for speed. I want to see Powell worked into the offense over the next few weeks because you can usually find out what you have with running backs pretty quickly.

Of course, I don't know how you would continue to do that once LT comes back from his injury. I'd argue that Greene is the most replaceable out of he, LT, and McKnight. LT has the best hands and is the best in pass protection. McKnight is the best return man by a significant margin. Greene is a running back that gets 3.9 yards per carry.

Of course, the most likely way that I think Powell gets onto the gameday roster is if we give LT a few weeks "rest" (since he won't be on the team next year anyway), or we move Cro back to the kick return spot (something I really don't want to do).

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4235301]...Dallas's rookie RB is a 6th round draft pick and it took a while for him be effective...[/QUOTE]

LOL

Demarco Murray was a 3rd round pick, not a 6th.

He was also the leader in overall scoring, TD, all purpose yards, and reciving yards by a RB in Oklahoma football history.

Bilal Powell is no Demarco Murray.

A lot of draft analysts loved Bilal before and after we drafted him, and I have been hearing lots of rumblings that he has looked good......Would love to see what he's got on Thursday

Plus, this is just sick-nasty: :D

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0mR2u_EAiM[/url]