Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156

Thread: Jose Reyes receives six-year offer from Miami Marlins, according to report

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805

    Jose Reyes receives six-year offer from Miami Marlins, according to report

    http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...eives_six.html


    We should be able to beat that.

    IMHO



    The first solid offer for the services of Jose Reyes has seen the light of day – and it foretells bad news for the Mets. The reliable Fox Sports duo of Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi reported early this morning that the Miami Marlins have extended an initial offer of six years, $90 million for Reyes.

    What it does not mean: Jose Reyes is a Marlin. That’s not true, not yet. The Marlins have made their interest no secret. Reyes arrived in town as part of Miami’s free-agent tour last week, when they brought pitcher Mark Buehrle, Cuban defector Yoennis Cespedes and World Series champion Albert Pujols into Little Havana to see the club’s new ballpark.

    Understand that Miami does, indeed, want to sign Reyes. But there is little reason for Reyes to accept the first offer. That’s not how negotiating works.

    What it does mean: If the Mets still harbor hopes for retaining Reyes, they are in trouble. General manager Sandy Alderson has always desired payroll flexibility, and another lengthy, expensive contract does not aid that pursuit.

    The Mets don’t want to give Reyes a contract that lasts six or seven years. This much is obvious. Last winter, Alderson mocked the Nationals for inking Jayson Werth to a seven-year deal. He has been burned by long-term deals in Oakland, and appears uninterested in a repeat of the past.

    Which makes the stance of Reyes’ camp difficult for Alderson to counter. Alderson reportedly asked Reyes’ agents how much it would take to re-sign the shortstop. There was no answer. That is smart negotiating. There was no reason for the folks at Peter Greenberg & Associates to set the market for their player.

    Now, Alderson knows at least the minimum price. The issue for him now appears to be less the annual cost, but more the number of years. So if the Mets truly want to bring back Reyes, they must venture outside their comfort zone. This is not unexpected. Otherwise, they must be content with another team acquiring Reyes, who is so capable of brilliance yet still hampered by injuries.

    What happens next: Most likely, everyone waits. The market for Reyes includes more than the Mets and the Marlins. Milwaukee is interested. So is Detroit. The Winter Meetings are still three weeks away. Veterans of the baseball trade circle that week-long junket as time when these deals usually get done.

    In that time, the Mets might increase their offer. They might bow out. We really don’t know. That might not sit well with Mets fans. But so it goes.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,466
    Reyes is a goner. Alderson wants payroll felxability. He's just saying the right things about making an offer to save face. To make things look good from a public relations stand point. Mets are not giving Reyes 6 years and this was just the first offer. Reyes will get more.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Reyes is a goner. Alderson wants payroll felxability. He's just saying the right things about making an offer to save face. To make things look good from a public relations stand point. Mets are not giving Reyes 6 years and this was just the first offer. Reyes will get more.
    one step at a time.

    The Mets should match the 6 years at $15 million per. Throw in a BMW, 200k and a 15 foot bronze statue outside Shea when he gets his 2000 career hit with the Mets.

  4. #4
    So if the Mets let Reyes go, I took a guess that there will be 1,000 less coming for the season, thru season ticket drops and less walk up.

    Less att: 1,000
    Avg Rev per seat: $40
    Games: 81
    Yearly rev lost per 1,000 not coming: $3,240,000
    Last edited by FlagmanL11; 11-15-2011 at 03:05 PM.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    So if the Mets let Reyes go, I took a guess that they will 1,000 less coming for the season thru season ticket drops and less walk up.

    Less att: 1,000
    Avg Rev per seat: $40
    Games: 81
    Yearly rev lost per 1,000 not coming: $3,240,000

    They will also sell zero Reyes t-shirts, jerseys, mugs,etc...
    Have fewer eyeballs on the TV broadcasts
    Sell no dogs, beer, peanuts, etc. to those 1,000 less attendees you mentioned
    Have fewer ears listening to the radio broadcast

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    They will also sell zero Reyes t-shirts, jerseys, mugs,etc...
    So you're saying I should load up on my Jose Reyes mugs NOW ??

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    They will also sell zero Reyes t-shirts, jerseys, mugs,etc...
    Have fewer eyeballs on the TV broadcasts
    Sell no dogs, beer, peanuts, etc. to those 1,000 less attendees you mentioned
    Have fewer ears listening to the radio broadcast
    All the reason for them to stop screwing around offer 6 @ $17MM per and go from there. He gets the magic $100MM mark and the Mets save face. This is a New York team afterall.... Basic math says to sign him. Bump that $40 to $60 per head and its close to $5MM for the season....

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    All the reason for them to stop screwing around offer 6 @ $17MM per and go from there. He gets the magic $100MM mark and the Mets save face. This is a New York team afterall.... Basic math says to sign him. Bump that $40 to $60 per head and its close to $5MM for the season....
    I agree.

    But I imagine you won’t have to go that much higher than other offers. Just remind him that if he stays he will end up as the Greatest hitter in NY METS history (as a SS no less) and that we (the Mets) will play that up for the benefit of everyone.

    Being the Greatest hitter in NY Mets History has to outshine being a perennial all-star with the Miami Marlins?

    Don't you think?

    That is what I call “money-ball”

  9. #9
    I just don't see the Mets resigning Reyes.

    I think the plan is to see what offers he gets then present their offer which may not be the best one, and let Reyes decide.

    The only wrinkle here would be if Reyes takes an offer from another team before the Mets get a chance to even counter those other deals.

    What I don't get is don't the Marlins have a SS? What happens to Ramirez? Does he move? Is his health a question for next season? Would they move him?

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I just don't see the Mets resigning Reyes.

    I think the plan is to see what offers he gets then present their offer which may not be the best one, and let Reyes decide.

    The only wrinkle here would be if Reyes takes an offer from another team before the Mets get a chance to even counter those other deals.

    What I don't get is don't the Marlins have a SS? What happens to Ramirez? Does he move? Is his health a question for next season? Would they move him?
    Hanley will play 3rd or be moved to the OF.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,704
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    So if the Mets let Reyes go, I took a guess that there will be 1,000 less coming for the season, thru season ticket drops and less walk up.

    Less att: 1,000
    Avg Rev per seat: $40
    Games: 81
    Yearly rev lost per 1,000 not coming: $3,240,000
    No Reyes next year and I bet their attendance drops to under 25K per game. I think they avg 28K this year.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Hanley will play 3rd or be moved to the OF.
    He doesnt want to.

    Besides ego reasons, Domincan players love being a short stop. Thats the highest point you can reach.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    He doesnt want to.

    Besides ego reasons, Domincan players love being a short stop. Thats the highest point you can reach.
    Maybe they move him, wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, The Giants would probably be interested.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    So if the Mets let Reyes go, I took a guess that there will be 1,000 less coming for the season, thru season ticket drops and less walk up.

    Less att: 1,000
    Avg Rev per seat: $40
    Games: 81
    Yearly rev lost per 1,000 not coming: $3,240,000
    Less than $15M for a guy that will miss an average of 50 games a season.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    I can't figure out what the Marlins are up to. If they really wanted Reyes, they'd have made a bigger offer. And they know if he came there, Hanley is going to be miserable. And this interest in Pujols doesn't seem real either. What's the deal?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    No Reyes next year and I bet their attendance drops to under 25K per game. I think they avg 28K this year.
    So over half the $17MM salary is lost in rev at $40 per seat... Got to spend money to make money...

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I can't figure out what the Marlins are up to. If they really wanted Reyes, they'd have made a bigger offer. And they know if he came there, Hanley is going to be miserable. And this interest in Pujols doesn't seem real either. What's the deal?
    Reyes and Ramirez are supposedly really good friends, I doubt that would be a problem.

  18. #18
    Anyone thinking the METS will match or go over this hasn't read up on their financhal issues. Reyes may be the best player on the team but there is 0 up side to keep him if they can't start winning. I just dont see them turning the corner with players they have right now so it is best to just cut salaries and take the safe profit. This team can not keep a 150+ mil dollar salary on the books. They are stuck with Santana, Bay, and Wright who are already making 18mil plus. They are not adding anyone more then 5 mil this year I can garentee that. Guys like Pegan, Plefry, Ike, and Murphy will all likely find themselves on the short end of the stick as well. Best case this year Wright and Santana find their games and they trade them for value. I honestly think it is more likely you see Beli back on this team then Reyes.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by ambxc22 View Post
    Reyes and Ramirez are supposedly really good friends, I doubt that would be a problem.
    We'll see

    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...o-1961968.html

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Anyone thinking the METS will match or go over this hasn't read up on their financhal issues. Reyes may be the best player on the team but there is 0 up side to keep him if they can't start winning. I just dont see them turning the corner with players they have right now so it is best to just cut salaries and take the safe profit. This team can not keep a 150+ mil dollar salary on the books. They are stuck with Santana, Bay, and Wright who are already making 18mil plus. They are not adding anyone more then 5 mil this year I can garentee that. Guys like Pegan, Plefry, Ike, and Murphy will all likely find themselves on the short end of the stick as well. Best case this year Wright and Santana find their games and they trade them for value. I honestly think it is more likely you see Beli back on this team then Reyes.


    Reyes was the only batter people looked forward to watching last season since Wright was injured. It was like Dave Kingman when I was a kid. Everyone hated Kingman but they all watched every one of his at bats. Reyes goes interest drops, TV ratings drop and then revenue drops.


    Your facts on Payroll are wrong

    Last year’s payroll was $142 million-ish before Beltran & K-rod were traded and Castillo & Perez were cut

    http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...york-mets.html

    Right now the Mets are on the hook for $64 million. That of course that is with hardly anyone signed.

    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...MQ&output=html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us