Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Reyes receives six-year offer from Miami Marlins, according to report

Miami Marlins projected lineup:

1. SS Jose Reyes
    2. 2B Omar Infante
    3. 3B Hanley Ramirez
    4. RF Mike Stanton
    5. 1B Gaby Sanchez
    6. LF Logan Morrison
    7. C John Buck
    8. CF Emilio Bonifacio

Obviously this changes if the Marlins go and sign Pujols too.
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 12-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    Miami Marlins projected lineup:

1. SS Jose Reyes
    2. 2B Omar Infante
    3. 3B Hanley Ramirez
    4. RF Mike Stanton
    5. 1B Gaby Sanchez
    6. LF Logan Morrison
    7. C John Buck
    8. CF Emilio Bonifacio
    3rd place. 2 of their 3 best players are locks for the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Yeah. Its done. The Wilpons get to increase their debt while the pay roll goes drastically down.

We cant even afford Octavio Dotel. Its a sad time to be a Mets fan. We really, really need Harvey and Wheeler to pan out. Might as well trade Wright too. Attendance is going to blow with or without him.
    'not being able to afford' Octavio Dotel says more about Octavio Dotel then the Mets finances, lol.

Even if the plan is to move Wright eventually, there's really no reason to do it now. His contract basically states that his 2013 option gets voided if traded, so basically, we can either deal him now in essentially a contract year, or we can wait a year, enjoy another year of him in a Mets uniform, hopefully a rebound season in a fixed Citi Field, pick up his option, and deal him a year from now in essentially a contract year.

Wilpons seriously need to sell the team. The Mets are now a small market team who play in NYC.

Andy McCullough
    Alderson confirms that if the offer is six years, $110 million for Reyes, that is beyond the Mets' threshold.
    Adam Rubin
    Sandy confirms if 6-111, Mets out

Jets Insider VIP
    Sucks for the Mets. Sorry, guys (well, sorry to most of you - you know which 2 are excluded).

For years I've been saying the Mets best move would be the trade Reyes - there's no doubt they would've gotten way, way more than a couple draft picks for him. Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Sucks for the Mets. Sorry, guys (well, sorry to most of you - you know which 2 are excluded).

For years I've been saying the Mets best move would be the trade Reyes - there's no doubt they would've gotten way, way more than a couple draft picks for him. Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.
    Probably not a significantly better haul available at the trading deadline for a rental player 10 days removed from the DL (one with an extensive injury history, at that), compared to the 2 draft picks they're going to get now. Nevermind, there's an argument to be made that they likely would have gotten less for Beltran had Reyes also been on the block as well (Simple supply and demand for that caliber of hitters). I don't regret not trading Reyes. I just wish they would have done more to keep him.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 12-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Probably not a significantly better haul available at the trading deadline for a rental player 10 days removed from the DL (one with an extensive injury history, at that), compared to the 2 draft picks they're going to get now. Nevermind, there's an argument to be made that they likely would have gotten less for Beltran had Reyes also been on the block as well (Simple supply and demand for that caliber of hitters). I don't regret not trading Reyes. I just wish they would have done more to keep him.
    Didn't have to be this year. Should've traded him years ago. Someone would've jumped at the chance and would've paid a premium for him. Anyway, what's done is done.

The Wilpons are ruining NL baseball in NY. Wish you guys could get the team sold. It's more fun when we have two good teams in this city.

Didn't have to be this year. Should've traded him years ago. Someone would've jumped at the chance and would've paid a premium for him. Anyway, what's done is done.

The Wilpons are ruining NL baseball in NY. Wish you guys could get the team sold. It's more fun when we have two good teams in this city.
    He was coming off a down year in 2010, and literally only played 30 games in 2009. When was the right time to trade him? How far back do you have to go in order to find the right spot to sell high? 2008?

Nevermind, if the Mets were in a better financial position, this wouldn't have happened.

Hall Of Fame
    Congrats to the Mets for becoming a AAA franchise. Absolutely non-competitive.

I feel for the Met fans. This penny pinching is unfair.

Small market strategies will never work in NY.

Jets Insider VIP
    He was coming off a down year in 2010, and literally only played 30 games in 2009. When was the right time to trade him? How far back do you have to go in order to find the right spot to sell high? 2008?

Nevermind, if the Mets were in a better financial position, this wouldn't have happened.
    If it makes you feel any better, Reyes won't be helping the Marlins get into the playoffs either.

Six years for him is insane too. If you were in good financial position, it would be a bad contract to match. SeanRyanTylerDurdendrunkkidcatholicMantle&Namath is right... far too long to give to a guy that relies on his legs that much - and legs that are so prone to injury.

All League
    They could have gotten a player comparable to Wheeler if they dealt him during the season. That's better than the two picks.

Jose Reyes wasn't really a smart long term investment. But the Marlins are building to win now, they will have a solid team. They aren't done yet either. Apparently they could reach a deal with Mark Buehrle as well if they add a no trade clause and they are still in on Albert Pujols.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Congrats to the Mets for becoming a AAA franchise. Absolutely non-competitive.

I feel for the Met fans. This penny pinching is unfair.

Small market strategies will never work in NY.
    Losing him isnt that bad. Hes getting a lot of money for a speed guy with a bad hammy. Its the fact that they wont put the money lost on Reyes and other guys off the books back into the team. We're paying guys like Bay and Santana nearly 50 percent of our current pay roll, assuming our payroll is like 72 million right now. After arbitration and the one or 2 moves we make, Im guessing it ends up around 90 million.

Yeah. Its done. The Wilpons get to increase their debt while the pay roll goes drastically down.

We cant even afford Octavio Dotel. Its a sad time to be a Mets fan. We really, really need Harvey and Wheeler to pan out. Might as well trade Wright too. Attendance is going to blow with or without him.
    What the Mets really need to do is get rid of Wilpon. The guy is really becoming a disaster as an owner even worse than Dolan was for the Knicks. At least Dolan has money. Wilpon has no money and he's clueless.

If I was Mark Cuban I would buy low on the Mets instead of going after the Dodgers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

SeanRyanTylerDurdendrunkkidcatholicMantle&Namath is right...

Hall Of Fame
    Losing him isnt that bad. Hes getting a lot of money for a speed guy with a bad hammy. Its the fact that they wont put the money lost on Reyes and other guys off the books back into the team. We're paying guys like Bay and Santana nearly 50 percent of our current pay roll, assuming our payroll is like 72 million right now. After arbitration and the one or 2 moves we make, Im guessing it ends up around 90 million.
    Sometimes teams have to eat a couple of years on the end of a contract in order to get the production in the beginning.

70 million is an embarrassment. 90 million is non-competitive. Mets should be in the 120-140 range on a low year. The entire division is getting better and raising the stakes. I don't see where the Mets don't end up finishing last.

This year is the 50th Anniversary and to celebrate it, the Mets will be serving their fans a 50 win team. Listening to Alderson last nite was depressing. He cited that the team lost $70 million last year as well dwindling attendance. NOBODY CARES. You have to spend money to make money. Especially in NY.

I got the impression that he is shopping David Wright. If that happens, what happens this year with no Wright and Reyes? How many people are going to attend the games then?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sometimes teams have to eat a couple of years on the end of a contract in order to get the production in the beginning.

70 million is an embarrassment. 90 million is non-competitive. Mets should be in the 120-140 range on a low year. The entire division is getting better and raising the stakes. I don't see where the Mets don't end up finishing last.

This year is the 50th Anniversary and to celebrate it, the Mets will be serving their fans a 50 win team. Listening to Alderson last nite was depressing. He cited that the team lost $70 million last year as well dwindling attendance. NOBODY CARES. You have to spend money to make money. Especially in NY.

I got the impression that he is shopping David Wright. If that happens, what happens this year with no Wright and Reyes? How many people are going to attend the games then?
    I still don't know how they lost $70 million.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    They could have gotten a player comparable to Wheeler if they dealt him during the season. That's better than the two picks.
    I disagree that the Mets could've gotten that kind of package. Reyes is a rental player who was days removed from the DL, and his health was definately in question at that point. He ended up needing to go back to the DL with the same injury shortly thereafter. I don't see a team giving up their top prospect for that. Just maybe marginally more then the 2 draft picks. Not enough where it would be worth the chance of re-signing Reyes.

I still don't know how they lost $70 million.
    Look at the empty seats in the stadium, not real hard to figure out.

All League
    I disagree that the Mets could've gotten that kind of package. Reyes is a rental player who was days removed from the DL, and his health was definately in question at that point. He ended up needing to go back to the DL with the same injury shortly thereafter. I don't see a team giving up their top prospect for that. Just maybe marginally more then the 2 draft picks. Not enough where it would be worth the chance of re-signing Reyes.

Look at the empty seats in the stadium, not real hard to figure out.
    Their attendance wasn't really that bad. When you look at the cost of the tix, their tv money, and the $20 million from citi bank for naming rights, I don't see how they could have lost that much. Just doesn't really make sense to me.