Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Reyes receives six-year offer from Miami Marlins, according to report

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I still don't know how they lost $70 million.
    I can see it. Between attendance decline, merchandise sales. If they trade Wright, they might not sell a jersey this year. But if you factor in SNY then I don't see it. SNY has been a huge success.

Not to mention I think the business is run poorly. Losing 70 million while only spending 100 million or so is bad. Yanks, Sox spend north of 200 million and manage to end up in the black.

If they can't make money in one of the biggest markets in the country then that speaks to their business acumen. After all, they were "duped" by their lifelong friend and business partner. So they are either admittedly stupid or corrupt. Either way they need to go.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-05-2011 at 10:59 AM.

All League
    I still don't know how they lost $70 million.
    The Wilpons lost $70MM, not the Mets. They own a Sports Channel, I think that gets lost in the equation.

The Wilpons are the suckiest owners we have even seen around here...

Opened the new stadium as a shrine to the Dodgers and now do not invest in the team. Sell high now... Team will be worth a lot less in two years...

Hall Of Fame
    Their attendance wasn't really that bad. When you look at the cost of the tix, their tv money, and the $20 million from citi bank for naming rights, I don't see how they could have lost that much. Just doesn't really make sense to me.
    From 2009-2011, the attendance has dropped 775,721, and even more from the old Shea Stadium days. That alone is probably 25-30 million in losses, nevermind that's how many less parking spots sold, how many less merchandise sales, how many less concession sales, ect. Nevermind, that since 2009 the average ticket price has been plummeting, so even the tickets they are selling, they're still making significantly less money on. When you need to put out Wright-themed $5 ticket days for tickets you initally thought would sell for 3-4 times that amount, and even those don't really sell, it's easy to see why they're losing money, and a ton of it.

All Pro
    ...in 2 yrs you guys are going to be ecstatic for not giving this walking DL machine 111 million...think vick and arod...all is not doom and gloom...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    ...in 2 yrs you guys are going to be ecstatic for not giving this walking DL machine 111 million...think vick and arod...all is not doom and gloom...
    The question that remains to be answered is how do they spend the money that was being "saved" for Reyes?

The Mets have shown a want to build the scouting organization, produce from within, and they now have draft picks and players that begin to fit that want.

This regime has 3-4 years to see what results come out of that direction.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    The question that remains to be answered is how do they spend the money that was being "saved" for Reyes?

The Mets have shown a want to build the scouting organization, produce from within, and they now have draft picks and players that begin to fit that want.

...absolutely...and they have a beautiful new ball park too...go and enjoy and root for your team...better days are ahead...

All League

They're not gonna spend it. They'll be a mid market team for a long time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They're not gonna spend it. They'll be a mid market team for a long time.
    The Phillies operated as a "mid-market team" for years, until their farm system began producing, people started coming to the park, and then spending went incrementally up.

Hopefully, the fruit of the Mets system produce, that is what they have to bank on. No guarantees.

'a long time" in baseball, is not that long of a time. Things change quickly

All League
    I dont care how you slice it, it's an embarrassing day to lose one of the most dynamic players in baseball over money when your a new york team.

Flat out a joke

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    I dont care how you slice it, it's an embarrassing day to lose one of the most dynamic players in baseball over money when your a new york team.

Flat out a joke
    I never really considered them "in" on Reyes, so I am not surprised today.

The Mets have not won a championship with Reyes, I am sure then can not win one without him.

All League
    I never really considered them "in" on Reyes, so I am not surprised today.

The Mets have not won a championship with Reyes, I am sure then can not win one without him.
    Reyes wasn't the reason they didn't win.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Reyes wasn't the reason they didn't win.
    If Reyes had managed to stay healthy ALL year long, I would have been at the front of the line begging the Mets to re-sign him.

But, he showed that he can't stay healthy, and that his legs (his most valuable asset) can be a liability at times.

With that, I would be uncomfortable paying him 17mm + at the age of 34. The risk is big there, and it may detract from THAT team. THIS team isn't going to do anything big, so I would rather they reserve that money when they may actually have something.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post

Flat out a joke
    I agree and to suggest otherwise is homerism.

I understand Reyes is always hurt but every superstar contact ends up being a bad contract in the end. The Arod, Sabathia and Texeira contracts will all be albatrosses in the final two years or so but the Yankees are getting all the production value in the front end of those contracts.

It sounds crazy but u have to make bad deals with great players. Especially when u r in NY.

Wilpons need to sh*t or get off the pot. If they can't afford to be players then they need to sell. 100 million dollar payrolls are not going to cut in in the division and in this town. Eventually I think they are going to be forced to sell so in the mean time the Mets fans will be held hostage.

This is really beginning to look like a five year plan for the Mets. Never thought I would see the Pirates in NY.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I understand Reyes is always hurt but every superstar contact ends up being a bad contract in the end. The Arod, Sabathia and Texeira contracts will all be albatrosses in the final two years or so but the Yankees are getting all the production value in the front end of those contracts.

It sounds crazy but u have to make bad deals with great players. Especially when u r in NY.

Wilpons need to sh*t or get off the pot. If they can't afford to be players then they need to sell. 100 million dollar payrolls are not going to cut in in the division and in this town. Eventually I think they are going to be forced to sell so in the mean time the Mets fans will be held hostage.

This is really beginning to look like a five year plan for the Mets. Never thought I would see the Pirates in NY.
    It was a 5 year plan when Alderson and company were first brought on board. Last year was year 1.

To assert that bad contracts are a necessity is foolish. Only fools spend money foolishly. They jury is still out whether that money would have been foolish if given to Reyes.

Hall Of Fame
    It was a 5 year plan when Alderson and company were first brought on board. Last year was year 1.

To assert that bad contracts are a necessity is foolish. Only fools spend money foolishly. They jury is still out whether that money would have been foolish if given to Reyes.
    I said make bad contracts with GREAT players. Not just any player. And by "bad" I mean adding an extra year or two.

I guess the Yanks are fools. The point is to be competitive. Mets will be fielding a AAA team for the next couple of years. To make matters worse they want to charge a premium for tickets to watch what is basically a team of prospects. I can go to a Cyclones game for 20 why should I spend 200 @ Citi Field.

To build through the draft u need to be horrible for years. Are the Mets trying to be the Rays of ten years ago?

What happens when this doesn't work out? Five years is a long time. It has been five years since 2006.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-05-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Hall Of Fame

Not to defend the Mets too much, but there's a clear difference between those two scenarios. The Yankees made the Sabathia and Teixeira moves to put them over the top, and it worked, they won a World Series out of it. You're a little more able to put up with a bad year or two at the end of the contract if the rewards from the first several years are worth it. As they say, flags fly forever. The Mets were likely nothing more then maybe a 3rd place team with Reyes, he's not putting us over the top of anything in the immediate future, we're just maintaining by re-signing him. It's hard to write off years 5-6 when the rewards for the first couple years honestly aren't all that much from a team standpoint. Of course, that begs the question as to why the Marlins signed him when they're also probably nothing more then a 3rd place team with Reyes, but one bad idea doesn't justify another team to make a bad idea of their own.

Hall Of Fame
    I see what you are saying. And it is a good point. But what I am stressing is that the Mets are not going to be competitive. They aren't even trying to be competitive.

The Mets are a last place team in 2012. But without Reyes (and maybe Wright in 2013) they are going to be a 100-loss team. While their place in the standings will be the same, the distance between the Mets and the top has increased and will continue to.

They aren't going to strike gold with everyone of their draft picks and prospects. Even Tampa took 10 years to build a team like that. They need to bring in proven players to provide a mix.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I see what you are saying. And it is a good point. But what I am stressing is that the Mets are not going to be competitive. They aren't even trying to be competitive.

The Mets are a last place team in 2012. But without Reyes (and maybe Wright in 2013) they are going to be a 100-loss team. While their place in the standings will be the same, the distance between the Mets and the top has increased and will continue to.

They aren't going to strike gold with everyone of their draft picks and prospects. Even Tampa took 10 years to build a team like that. They need to bring in proven players to provide a mix.
    1. the off season is not don
    2. No games have been played yet for 2013, let a lone 2012
    3. Yes, you are not going to hit on every draft pick, which is why the mets are loading up, to give them a better shot, rather than forfeiting a pick because of a knee jerk reaction
    4. The Mets have spent money in their front office-Anderson, Depodesta, Ricciardi, etc. That is where they are laying their eggs-scouting and development

Hall Of Fame
    You don't need to tell me there's work to be done, I know that.

But I think the point is they don't want to bog themselves down with bad contracts in those years where they might otherwise be able to contend, otherwise we're just kind of repeating the cycle we're currently in where we're stuck waiting for those bad deals to expire. The Mets aren't in a position where it makes sense to eat the last several years on a contract right now because the difference between pushing this team from 75 to 80 wins right now isn't worth it. They would rather lay low for a little bit and then strike when the time is right, so that 17 million player is in the prime years at the right time when we're ready to contend and not in his past his prime years.

Hall Of Fame
    what makes people think that Reyes will be healthy going forward? the human body is not built to get stronger and more resiliant as you get older...its the other way around. not saying the marlins wont win the WS with Reyes as the league MVP...but u can bet your bottom dollar they are going to eat at least a few of those years...and thats not something we can afford to do right now...

i am personaly perfectly happy on our management evaluating our talent and sticking with guys they think can be big time for us...Duda...Davis...Harvey...etc..etc...