Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jose Reyes receives six-year offer from Miami Marlins, according to report

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The Brewers scored 3 more runs then the Mets last year......three. That Mets offense scored 5 more runs then Philadelphia. What exactly did having all of those "feared" hitters get them in the bottomline?

Sure, losing Reyes will hurt, as will not having any contributions from Beltran. But keep in mind that what they did last year was in the worst (or 2nd worst) pitchers park in the league that they are fixing. That it was done without Ike Davis for 5 months, without David Wright and Daniel Murphy for 2 months a piece, that they'll be getting a full season of at-bats from Lucas Duda next year. That even the 'lesser' hitters like Ruben Tejada and Josh Thole carry strong on-base percentages that keep the chain moving along.

The offense is strong enough, there's room for improvement, sure, but it's strong enough, it's that they didn't have the pitching to compete (and still don't). They basically have Dickey, a giant question mark in Santana, and 3 back end guys in Niese, Pelfrey, and Gee. And their plan there is really just biding time until some of our highly touted arms are ready to contribute. Which might not be the most exciting plan, but it's really their only option considering the financial issues.
    i am so tired of hearing about the financial issues....honestly if these guys cant afford to run the team like a big market franchise they should sell. its beyond me how someone expects to run a team like SD in NYC.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i am so tired of hearing about the financial issues....honestly if these guys cant afford to run the team like a big market franchise they should sell. its beyond me how someone expects to run a team like SD in NYC.
    +111111111111111

It is a disservice to Mets fans.

Sell the team there are plenty of folks who would willingly be Stewards to the Mets

These clowns are running the team like a business but knowing they can still milk money out of the FANS. Because fans are loyal to the TEAM not the business.

Any other business puts out a sh!t product and openly demonstrates they are going to cut capital spending on improvements will see their customers stop buying their product.

Would you go to a restaurant that makes mediocre food and then decides to lay-off the guy who cleans the bathrooms and sweeps the floor to save money?

But these a$$holes know that fans are fans and will still go to 1 game a year and buy 1 t-shirt per year.

We ALL have got to say efff that.

I am not going to buy any Mets stuff untill these clowns are gone. Sell the Team and I will buy hats and go to games again.

Act like the Mets are a business and sell.

Sell the team to Einhorn

LETS GO METS

SELL THE TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Honestly, I hate talking about financial issues myself. It sucks all the fun out of being a fan when you need to talk about things like revenue and **** like that. But keep in mind, when I'm talking about financial issues, I'm not talking about Madoff. I'm talking about the fact that the Mets themselves, completely independent of any external factors (such as Madoff), were bleeding cash. But I don't want another thread where we're talking about finances, so lets leave that elsewheres.

The Brewers scored 3 more runs then the Mets last year......three. That Mets offense scored 5 more runs then Philadelphia. What exactly did having all of those "feared" hitters get them in the bottomline?

That isn't a great stat to throw out there. I keep hearing it, but the idea that you can lump in runs from games all season (blowouts and shutouts) and think it means something when comparing two offenses is a little short-sighted.

hanging your hat (or all Met fan hats) on how many runs overall were scored and runs per game is a flawed way to judge the team.

If you seriously think the Mets line-up matches well compared to the Phillies I think you may have what ever color the Mets are colored glasses on.

Sure, losing Reyes will hurt, as will not having any contributions from Beltran. But keep in mind that what they did last year was in the worst (or 2nd worst) pitchers park in the league that they are fixing.
    I think that bringing in the fences is a mistake. They should build a team around it and make it a true homefield advantage, not make it easier for opponents to score on them.

The offense is strong enough, there's room for improvement, sure, but it's strong enough

I totally disagree, and I think we will bear witness to it this upcoming season. The Mets offense will stink if the line-up stays as is.

All League
    Honestly, I hate talking about financial issues myself. It sucks all the fun out of being a fan when you need to talk about things like revenue and **** like that. But keep in mind, when I'm talking about financial issues, I'm not talking about Madoff. I'm talking about the fact that the Mets themselves, completely independent of any external factors (such as Madoff), were bleeding cash. But I don't want another thread where we're talking about finances, so lets leave that elsewheres.
    Again.

To me that does not add up.

2.4 million tickets *$100

MINUS

$132 million Payroll (low end estimation $118million to Hiigh end estimation $146 million)

DOES NOT EQUAL

$70million loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Again.

MINUS

$132 million Payroll (low end estimation $118million to Hiigh end estimation $146 million)

DOES NOT EQUAL

$70million loss.
    This puts it a lot better then I can....

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/12/...-mets-finances

Bottomline: The team is losing money, tons of money. We're not talking small amounts here. This has nothing to do with Bernie Madoff, and everything to do with the finances of the New York Mets, Citi Field, and SNY. To ignore that fact is to be in complete denial of the situation.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Again.

MINUS

DOES NOT EQUAL

$70million loss.
    THey are factoring in debt that has been leveraged, also

All League

Bottomline: The team is losing money, tons of money. We're not talking small amounts here. This has nothing to do with Bernie Madoff, and everything to do with the finances of the New York Mets, Citi Field, and SNY. To ignore that fact is to be in complete denial of the situation.
    How did the Wilpons ever get rich if they're this incompetent running a baseball team in NY? The Mets should be a money making machine, not a money loser.

i am not buying this, Willpons have like 9 billion dollars...you dont get there by being a ****ty business man.

All League

If even half of this is true the Mets are going to be cash poor for the next 5+ years.

Every action the Wilponís did to improve the Mets was done with loaned money and now they canít finance the debt.

Geez

SELL THE EFFING TEAM!

If even half of this is true the Mets are going to be cash poor for the next 5+ years.

Every action the Wilponís did to improve the Mets was done with loaned money and now they canít finance the debt.

Geez

SELL THE EFFING TEAM!
    How do you think a new owner would buy the team? They don't write one big check out of their personal bank account, they take out loans themselves. I'm not really sure that really improves anything. The issue isn't so much how much they owe, if you look through the Yankees finances that much, they probably owe a billion dollars themselves, mostly from their new stadium. The issue is the revenue streams they thought would be there aren't there right now which is causing them to lose money.

All League
    How do you think a new owner would buy the team? They don't write one big check out of their personal bank account, they take out loans themselves. I'm not really sure that really improves anything. The issue isn't so much how much they owe, if you look through the Yankees finances that much, they probably owe a billion dollars themselves, mostly from their new stadium. The issue is the revenue streams they thought would be there aren't there right now which is causing them to lose money.
    If this story is true then:

I think the Wilponís did not have the money to afford any of the stuff they bought. The borrowed for the network and New Shea. They assumed 3+ million ticket seasons, booming economy, 25% payout by Madoff would continue forever. And so did the folks who lent them the money. They were all sadly mistaken. Now every nickel made will go to paying these loans off and who effin cares if we win or are entertaining.

This will not be issues to the new ownership. Buying the Mets, the Stadium and the 65% of SNY will cost $2 billion-ish minus any debts owed by these entities.

In the current economy $2 billion dollars will not be loaned to anyone to buy the Mets. The New ownership will need to have a big ol' chunk of that money in liquid assets. AKA a billionaire.
    But the Mets are in NYC and this is to be expected. A MLB franchise based in NYC is going to be owned by a billionaire.

SELL THE TEAM

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I just read this thread today and thought I'd give my opinion as a Mets fan since 1964. Obviously I've seen some lousy Mets teams in my time, and these things always run in cycles. I get bored to death discussing contracts, so I'll just say this: Get a capable front office, give them 5 or so years to build the Farm and make wise trades, and counsel patience to those with the skimpiest amount of patience known to mankind: The N.Y. fan. When Frank Cashen was given the job of Mets G.M. in 1980, the Mets sucked and didn't start to turn things around till 1984 when, not by coincidence, Strawberry, Gooden, and Darling showed up, along with Keith Hernandez (mid-'83 pick-up) and a new manager, Davy Johnson. Some of this was due to astute draft picks, some to incredibly great trading (Hernandez for Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey, OMG!), and more to picking the right manager at the right time (Johnson). And the Mets kept getting better in the years ahead until it all came apart in the early 90s. Point being, the down time is here again and it will take awhile - just like before - to get the young talent picked, groomed, and ready to contribute. And in Alderson I believe we have the guy in place to steer the franchise back where it belongs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I just read this thread today and thought I'd give my opinion as a Mets fan since 1964. Obviously I've seen some lousy Mets teams in my time, and these things always run in cycles. I get bored to death discussing contracts, so I'll just say this: Get a capable front office, give them 5 or so years to build the Farm and make wise trades, and counsel patience to those with the skimpiest amount of patience known to mankind: The N.Y. fan. When Frank Cashen was given the job of Mets G.M. in 1980, the Mets sucked and didn't start to turn things around till 1984 when, not by coincidence, Strawberry, Gooden, and Darling showed up, along with Keith Hernandez (mid-'83 pick-up) and a new manager, Davy Johnson. Some of this was due to astute draft picks, some to incredibly great trading (Hernandez for Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey, OMG!), and more to picking the right manager at the right time (Johnson). And the Mets kept getting better in the years ahead until it all came apart in the early 90s. Point being, the down time is here again and it will take awhile - just like before - to get the young talent picked, groomed, and ready to contribute. And in Alderson I believe we have the guy in place to steer the franchise back where it belongs.

Agree completely.

They have sunk money into scouting and hopefully in development. I am interested to see how that pays off.

The Mets tried the "buy" the WS way, and they fell short. They are paying the price for some of that now.

Let's see where this in a couple of years. Just in terms of on-field approach, I was impressed with this group last year. I hope they get decent pitching instructors.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    Agree completely.

They have sunk money into scouting and hopefully in development. I am interested to see how that pays off.

The Mets tried the "buy" the WS way, and they fell short. They are paying the price for some of that now.

Let's see where this in a couple of years. Just in terms of on-field approach, I was impressed with this group last year. I hope they get decent pitching instructors.
    I disagree.

Reyes was home grown and not a "buy".

Last year was the "we arenít buying anyone off-season". This year is the "we arenít spending a nickel cause this our team not the fans and in ten years we will be good again off-season'.

They borrowed lots of money to buy a cable network and a new stadium and now they can't re-sign the guy who was destined to be the best hitter in team history. The money they take-in will go to debt service for at least a couple of years. The things fans want like exciting players and winning teams are not top of the list. It is all about long term profitability. Yay Team.

That is how I see it.

Sorry if I am being annoying with this but I'm pissed-off. Everytime I think about it I get even more pissed-off.

SELL THE TEAM

PS. The theory that the Mets won't trade David Wright this season because he can opt out of his contract if he is traded may now be faulty logic.

All League
    I disagree.

Reyes was home grown and not a "buy".

Last year was the "we arenít buying anyone off-season". This year is the "we arenít spending a nickel cause this our team not the fans and in ten years we will be good again off-season'.

They borrowed lots of money to buy a cable network and a new stadium and now they can't re-sign the guy who was destined to be the best hitter in team history. The money they take-in will go to debt service for at least a couple of years. The things fans want like exciting players and winning teams are not top of the list. It is all about long term profitability. Yay Team.

That is how I see it.

Sorry if I am being annoying with this but I'm pissed-off. Everytime I think about it I get even more pissed-off.

SELL THE TEAM

PS. The theory that the Mets won't trade David Wright this season because he can opt out of his contract if he is traded may now be faulty logic.
    I'm with you. Could not be more disgusted with the the team. I really think we're just at the start of something just like the late 70s, early 80s when the Mets didn't even try to put a decent product on the field.