Thread: Green Bay Packers issuing shares in the team

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Green Bay Packers issuing shares in the team

At some point this week the Packers will be selling shares to raise money for stadium improvements. This will be the first time they've sold shares since 1997, and only 4th time in history. This will be the only time in the near future you'll be able to buy stock in the team, and you dont get dividends, you can't sell your shares, and you can't transfer them to family members. Price is expected to be around $200 per.

Personally, I think this is awesome, and I'll probably buy a share. I'm a diehard Jets fan, but also a huge football fan -- the game, it's history, and everything that revolves around it. A share in the Packers might be a meaningless piece of paper to anyone outside of Wisconsin, but technically it truly is owning a piece of an NFL team. Who wouldn't want that?

Plus, this will hold me over until I can actually buy a real team myself.

Anyone else interested in this, or am I schmuck on wheels?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the share has no monetary value, what good is it? You're basically donating $200 to the Packers for a fancy receipt. Seems pretty stupid to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4234303]If the share has no monetary value, what good is it? You're basically donating $200 to the Packers for a fancy receipt. Seems pretty stupid to me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if what the OP states is accurate. It's not Stock it's a $200 souvenir and nothing more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4234293]At some point this week the Packers will be selling shares to raise money for stadium improvements. This will be the first time they've sold shares since 1997, and only 4th time in history. This will be the only time in the near future you'll be able to buy stock in the team, and you dont get dividends, you can't sell your shares, and you can't transfer them to family members. Price is expected to be around $200 per.

Personally, I think this is awesome, and I'll probably buy a share. I'm a diehard Jets fan, but also a huge football fan -- the game, it's history, and everything that revolves around it. A share in the Packers might be a meaningless piece of paper to anyone outside of Wisconsin, but technically it truly is owning a piece of an NFL team. Who wouldn't want that?

Plus, this will hold me over until I can actually buy a real team myself.

Anyone else interested in this, or am I schmuck on wheels?[/QUOTE]...no dividends,can't sell it or pass it on...then what exactly am i doing with it...?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4234303]If the share has no monetary value, what good is it? You're basically donating $200 to the Packers for a fancy receipt. Seems pretty stupid to me.[/QUOTE]

From the NYT: "Owners get no discounts on tickets, although some merchandise is available only to shareholders. They can also attend the annual shareholders’ meeting, where they can vote on new board members and pepper management with questions."

So i suppose if you live in Green Bay and have time to attending these meetings it may have some small value. Then again, as a souvenir, it is pretty cool to frame and hang on your wall. But for a Jets fan, living in NY, I will pass.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can share holders come together and make demands of the team?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no profit sharing and you can't sell your share. It's essentially a donation to the Lambeau Field upgrade fund.

But you get your name on a cert and possible some deals on Packers merchandise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have 160 shares of Jets stock. It was used for Stadium improvements...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets had a similar deal, would you guys go for it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;4234327]Can share holders come together and make demands of the team?[/QUOTE]

The Packers have an annual conference with their shareholders.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4234368]If the Jets had a similar deal, would you guys go for it?[/QUOTE]

We did, its called a PSL... gives us the rights to our seat not only for the Jets, but other events at the stadium before the general public has access....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4234368]If the Jets had a similar deal, would you guys go for it?[/QUOTE]

aren't they called PSLs?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4234382]We did, its called a PSL... gives us the rights to our seat not only for the Jets, but other events at the stadium before the general public has access....[/QUOTE]

BASTARDO!!!!you beat me to it!!!!:P

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets all chip in, buy half the team and trade Rodgers to NY.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lolepop;4234389]BASTARDO!!!!you beat me to it!!!!:P[/QUOTE]

divide by $200 and that is your shares... :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4234395]Lets all chip in, buy half the team and trade Rodgers to NY.[/QUOTE]

Interesting plan. Buy the majority of the shares then put JI people on the board.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4234395]Lets all chip in, buy half the team and trade Rodgers to NY.[/QUOTE]

Now that is an idea!!!