Thread: Revis' Role vs Denver

Revis' Role vs Denver

Given Denver's offense, its a complete waste to have Revis shadow someone like Eric Decker or Eddie Royal, it will remove the advantage he gives us from the game. Revis also happens to be our best tackling DB (yes im including our safeties).

Wouldnt it be better to play Revis as a Tebow-Spy/Free safety in this game. Basically swap him and Leonhard and put Cro/Wilson on Decker and Leonhard on Royal and let Revis shadow Tebow and play this option-veer play that Denver is running. Revis is great as an open field tackler, and we could really use his speed to prevent the Denver runs from getting to the outside.

I know technically it opens him up to being injured moreso then playing CB, but at this point, we are a game behind the Bengals for the wild card and we need a win this week. I think this move could allow us to keep our best player as involved defensively as possible.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4234437]Given Denver's offense, its a complete waste to have Revis shadow someone like Eric Decker or Eddie Royal, it will remove the advantage he gives us from the game. Revis also happens to be our best tackling DB (yes im including our safeties).

Wouldnt it be better to play Revis as a Tebow-Spy/Free safety in this game. Basically swap him and Leonhard and put Cro/Wilson on Decker and Leonhard on Royal and let Revis shadow Tebow and play this option-veer play that Denver is running. Revis is great as an open field tackler, and we could really use his speed to prevent the Denver runs from getting to the outside.

I know technically it opens him up to being injured moreso then playing CB, but at this point, we are a game behind the Bengals for the wild card and we need a win this week. I think this move could allow us to keep our best player as involved defensively as possible.[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the exact same thing. Revis is fast, instinctive and great tackler. He would be a perfect Tebow shadow. But I doubt they make that move.

All League
    Interesting idea. Not like Denver throws much anyway. Stack the box, have Cro and Wilson play man on the 2 wr's, and let Revis shadow Tebow.

good idea except that I dont want Revis tackling someone so much bigger than him all night cause that puts him at risk

All Pro
    If our two safeties can do one thing, then it is stopping the run. They are also known as smart players so they should be prepared for the option attack.

Eric Smith can spy Tebow all day.

What are you worried about with that?

My thought was the opposite. Put 10 men in the box, and send them all. Have Revis cover all the receivers that go out for a pass. He could probably cover 2 no problem. And if they put 3 in the pattern, hopefully our 10 man rush can get there before Tebow finishes his prayers he needs to recite before throwing the ball...

[QUOTE=ADemas;4234459]good idea except that I dont want Revis tackling someone so much bigger than him all night cause that puts him at risk[/QUOTE]

Exactly...

We'll stop Tebow without Revis doing that. Not worth the extreme risk.

With our 6 d-linemen and the linebackers we have, Tebow will not be running for significant yardage.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4234469]Eric Smith can spy Tebow all day.

What are you worried about with that?[/QUOTE]

And what if smith has to make a play in the open field...did i miss the day when he suddenly became good at that? Smith is fine in run support if the play is between the tackles, but he is a liability in space.

This isnt just about revis playing the run (option), its about getting our best players in a position to succeed.

If you were denver, who won a game with 2 pass completions last week, what would you gamelplan against us.

Id spread out the defense, and have whoever revis is covering run straight down the field and let Tebow run right at one of the worst tackling CBs in the league - Cromartie.

Smith or Harris can spy Tebow. I wouldn't want my best CB spying the QB, even if it was a Vick type QB. Put Revis on Royal, Cro on Decker and load the box, make Tebow throw the ball.

Maybin to shadow Tebow

In this game, we can take advantage of the fact that we do not need safety help for our corners and cram 9 guys in the box to stop the run.

Revis is a huge help even if he doesn't have to make a single play all day.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4234481]And what if smith has to make a play in the open field...did i miss the day when he suddenly became good at that? Smith is fine in run support if the play is between the tackles, but he is a liability in space.

This isnt just about revis playing the run (option), its about getting our best players in a position to succeed.

If you were denver, who won a game with 2 pass completions last week, what would you gamelplan against us.

Id spread out the defense, and have whoever revis is covering run straight down the field and let Tebow run right at one of the worst tackling CBs in the league - Cromartie.[/QUOTE]

Buddy, this isn't at all possible... There might be 2 plays all game where Cromartie is forced to have to make a tackle on Tebow.

You'll see plenty of guys get shots at bringing him down before then.

All League

+1 smith is a very good tackler still. i say we go with him :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    If the concern is that Revis is essentially neutralized because Denver has such sucky WRs then this is a GOOD thing. I would still put Revis on whoever Denver's #1 WR seems to be...and that may change by down and distance.

I don't know enough about Tebow's likes and tendencies but if, for example, he tends to throw to his right better than his left or goes to the slot WR often on 3rd and medium distances, then let's try to get Revis into those spots and take away Tebow's comfort throws. I'll take my chances with Cro, Wilson and any of our other guys in coverage.

It really comes down to the trenches and our defensive line against their offensive line. We will most likely have more DL active then we have had all year to keep the rotation fresh. If we get blown off the ball all game and we are giving up 5 or six yards on 1st down it will become real ugly real fast but I think we will be up for the task. Make Tebow get into those uncomfortable 3rd and long situations and force some tuenovers.

I didn't see the Lions against Denver game but we need to see what they did and mix in some of that!!

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4234570]If the concern is that Revis is essentially neutralized because Denver has such sucky WRs then this is a GOOD thing. I would still put Revis on whoever Denver's #1 WR seems to be...and that may change by down and distance.

I don't know enough about Tebow's likes and tendencies but if, for example, he tends to throw to his right better than his left or goes to the slot WR often on 3rd and medium distances, then let's try to get Revis into those spots and take away Tebow's comfort throws. I'll take my chances with Cro, Wilson and any of our other guys in coverage.[/QUOTE]

The guy completed 2 passes last week....not sure what tendency we are gonna find other then he doenst throw the ball at all.

All Pro
    I'm a firm believer that our struggles against the run have more to do with the fact that we tend to play the pass first.

With our personnel I think we can stuff the Broncos pretty easily.

this.

revis needs to simply key in on decker and let our other CB's play cleanup. I'd have no problem putting all our CB's on an island and make our safeties main priority shadowing Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;4234497]In this game, we can take advantage of the fact that we do not need safety help for our corners and cram 9 guys in the box to stop the run.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and to go a step further, we KNOW that Denver can't pass the ball anyways. Stopping a one-dimensional offense should be cakewalk. I also hope Kenrick Ellis is active - park his 340lb body on the LOS and running the ball is going to be even more difficult for Denver.