Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical chairs at WR, Schotty, a defensive run-first HC, the NY media

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Musical chairs at WR, Schotty, a defensive run-first HC, the NY media

Mark Sanchez has to deal with all this crap.

His weapons are good, not amazing, not the type of weapons that can make a bad QB good.

Santonio Holmes: Crafty, clutch, excellent route runner, quick, average top end speed. Not a game-changing talent, not a guy that will make plays because he is simply taller, faster, or stronger than the competition.

Plax: A 34 year old receiver that spent the last two years in jail and has never made a pro bowl. He is a big target, a great red zone threat, but lets not pretend like he was some all world player, even in his prime.

Kerley: Fifth round rookie. Enough said.

Keller: Super athletic for a TE. In my opinion the Jets most dangerous weapon in the passing game. The one guy that you truly need to gameplan against.

What about the fact that not only does this kid have to worry about making plays, he has to worry about keeping slightly psychotic WR's happy in contract years. Think about it. He dealt with that crap with Braylon, Holmes, and now Plax and Keller. The guy can't just play, he has to make these guys happy as well.

The offensive line is very good. One of the best in the leauge. They have struggled some this year because of injury but nothing to complain about.

I love Shonn Greene, but he is kind of one dimensional and has been inconsistent this year. Not really threat in the passing game at all. LT is a very good third down back.

Now that we have established that the Jets weapons are good, not amazing, lets move on to what Sanchez has done so far in his career.

Year comp%. Adj NtY/A. Y/G. TD-INT. QB Rating
    2009 - 53.8 ----- 4.1 ---- 162.9 --- 12/20 -- 63.0
    2010 - 54.8 ----- 5.4 ---- 205.7 --- 17/13 -- 75.3
    2011 - 56.7 ----- 5.7 ---- 231.2 --- 14/9 --- 81.5
    2011 - 56.7 ------5.7 ---- 231.2 --- 27/17 --- 81. 5 (projected)

Projected stats for 2012 if he continues down this growth path.

2012 - 58.7% ---6.0 ---- 260 Y/G ---- 30/15 ---- 87-90 rating

Is this that bad? the guy is only 25 years old. he played 1 year of college ball. All things considered, he will be putting up "elite" numbers by age 26-27 if he continues doing WHAT HE HAS ALREADY done.

I am not sure what you expect from a young QB. There isn't a single guy doing better than Sanchez right now in his age range. Flacco, Ryan (who are both older), Freeman, Bradford, Stafford, they all struggled and have problems. QB's take time to develop. Its just the way it is.

There are only 11 QBs in the entire league with a rating over 85.
    Last edited by Chupa; 11-16-2011 at 12:05 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;4235073]Mark Sanchez has to deal with all this crap.

His weapons are good, not amazing, not the type of weapons that can make a bad QB good.

Santonio Holmes: Crafty, clutch, excellent route runner, quick, average top end speed. Not a game-changing talent, not a guy that will make plays because he is simply taller, faster, or stronger than the competition.

Plax: A 34 year old receiver that spent the last two years in jail and has never made a pro bowl. He is a big target, a great red zone threat, but lets not pretend like he was some all world player, even in his prime.

Keller: Super athletic for a TE. In my opinion the Jets most dangerous weapon in the passing game. The one guy that you truly need to gameplan against.

What about the fact that not only does this kid have to worry about making plays, he has to worry about keeping slightly psychotic WR's happy in contract years. Think about it. He dealt with that crap with Braylon, Holmes, and now Plax and Keller. The guy can't just play, he has to make these guys happy as well.

The offensive line is very good. One of the best in the leauge. They have struggled some this year because of injury but nothing to complain about.

I love Shonn Greene, but he is kind of one dimensional and has been inconsistent this year. Not really threat in the passing game at all. LT is a very good third down back.

Now that we have established that the Jets weapons are good, not amazing, lets move on to what Sanchez has done so far in his career.

Is this that bad? the guy is only 25 years old. he played 1 year of college ball. All things considered, he will be putting up "elite" numbers by age 26-27 if he continues doing WHAT HE HAS ALREADY done.

I am not sure what you expect from a young QB. There isn't a single guy doing better than Sanchez right now in his age range. Flacco, Ryan (who are both older), Freeman, Bradford, Stafford, they all struggled and have problems. QB's take time to develop. Its just the way it is.

There are only 11 QBs in the entire league with a rating over 85.[/QUOTE]

Great post. Totally agree.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post, nailed it.

7 games left, move on from the Patriot game, a perfect storm of mistakes, the ball bouncing the wrong way, timely turnovers, missed FG's, turnovers, and a whole lot of luck for the Pats.

Meh

We may not win the division, but we are very much in the playoff hunt, and can finish strong, and this team is a championship calliber team once they put it all together with consistency...

It starts this week!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real good post dude. agree 100%. Give the kid some time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    81.5 is ranked 18th. I think his supporting cast is better than 18th. That's a better # than when Braylon was around. What I saw sunday tells me he's still too nervous. Maybe when the game slows down for him he'll improve. Bouncing passes off your RB's when they're 5 yds away, or overthrowing wide open WR's won't get it done. Then you have the TO.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 11-16-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez hasn't had the benefit of a dominant rushing attack like he had the previous two seasons. Shonn Greene hasn't measured up to Thomas Jones.

The o-line isn't quite what it used to be either. That's not to say they're garbage, but there is a notable drop-off from Damien Woody to Wayne Hunter.

I personally think the FO underestimated what Braylon Edwards brought to this offense the two seasons he was here. He made several 'clutch' plays last season, most notably him dragging two Pats defenders into the endzone during the playoffs.

Schotty has to go. The guy doesn't get much out of the talent at his disposal. The offense has been painful to watch for a majority of the past three seasons.

Sanchez has the physical tools. He hasn't made too many costly mistakes this season, but he hasn't taken any real chances down the field either. Maybe the chemistry isn't there like it was with Cotchery & Edwards. There is obviously a lack of confidence in his play this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Project all you want, the fact remains that the elite QBs' career averages are better than Sanchez's best year. Heck between the starting careers of Brady, Rodgers and Manning, there is only one season of their's where they had a passer rating worse than Sanchez's best season.

He's far from elite. He's inaccurate and still makes boneheaded mistakes.

Deal with it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with just about everything you said..Kerley are you kidding me? We have many weapons at our disposal, what does Brady have? Buffalo? Steelers???? Please

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez checks out during games like a deer in headlights. Like someone just woke him off his couch and placed him in the middle of the field. You think a new Wr is going to fix that?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4235085]Great post, nailed it.

7 games left, move on from the Patriot game, a perfect storm of mistakes, the ball bouncing the wrong way, timely turnovers, missed FG's, turnovers, and a whole lot of luck for the Pats.

Meh

We may not win the division, but we are very much in the playoff hunt, and can finish strong, and this team is a championship calliber team once they put it all together with consistency...

It starts this week![/QUOTE]
    :rolleyes:
    That's some of the funniest sh*t I've heard all day. Championship calliber, consistency, put it all together, perfect storm, ball bouncing the wrong way.
    WOW- If ifs and butts were
    Last edited by jetsonly; 11-16-2011 at 02:41 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    some good points but imo this is all about coaching. rex gave schitty a lot of resposibility and schitty just isn't worth the air he breathes. sanchez shouldn't worry about making plax or holmes or keller (by the way, where was keller on sunday?) or any other receiver happy. they will be happy enough if the team wins and they will also be part of those wins. if sanchez is worrying about making these guys happy at his expense then he needs to change. sanchez needs to be happy first and foremost.

oline? they have as much talent as any other team but they also allowed 5 sacks on sunday. what's up with that?

lt? i'm afraid he's through, at least for this season and schitty doesn't use a passing attack that relies on the rb's to catch many balls so his value is diminished.

greene? he's not a shifty runner. he's mainly straight ahead so he needs holes to run through. let mcknight or someone else do the sweeps or end runs.

the bottom line is the jet offense is very painful to watch because they are always doing stupid things in an attempt to fool the defense. it doesn't work and it looks like it confuses the jets more than the other team. scitty needs to be launched, the sooner the better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;4235106]:rolleyes:
    That's some of the funniest sh*t I've heard all day. Championship calliber, consistency, put it all together, perfect storm, ball bouncing the wrong way.
    WOW- If ifs and butts were[/QUOTE]

Instead of a jackass post, tell me how I'm wrong?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ADemas;4235101]I disagree with just about everything you said..Kerley are you kidding me? We have many weapons at our disposal, what does Brady have? Buffalo? Steelers???? Please[/QUOTE]

Brady is possibly the greatest quarterback of all time.

Sanchez is arguably having seasons on par with Fitz and Big Ben.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4235092]Project all you want, the fact remains that the elite QBs' career averages are better than Sanchez's best year. Heck between the starting careers of Brady, Rodgers and Manning, there is only one season of their's where they had a passer rating worse than Sanchez's best season.

He's far from elite. He's inaccurate and still makes boneheaded mistakes.

Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

Why are you comparing him to three future hall of fame quarterbacks?

He's already beat Brady and Manning in the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;4235087]81.5 is ranked 18th. I think his supporting cast is better than 18th. That's a better # than when Braylon was around. What I saw sunday tells me he's still too nervous. Maybe when the game slows down for him he'll improve. Bouncing passes off your RB's when they're 5 yds away, or overthrowing wide open WR's won't get it done. Then you have the TO.[/QUOTE]

The OP nailed it with this thread. Thank you.

Jumbalaya Jet,

I respectfully diasagree with your post. "Sanchez too nervous." Did you see him running for his life again on Sunday? The Pats D is not the '85 Bears. The o-line had a horrible game in regard to protection. Mulligan sucks. Sorry but the QB needs time to throw the ball. Yes, Sanchez needs to step up inot the pocket too but if you look at the game again, the pressure by NE's defense was so great that Sanchez hardly had time when plays resulted in sacks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post and good argument, but have to agree with ADemas and disagree with almost everything you wrote.

You say "there isn't a single guy doing better than Sanchez in his age range." But you can also argue that outside of the Ravens, Sanchez has the most talented team. And the Ravens have defeated last year's AFC champs twice this year, one on a dominant performance from their QB and another from a gritty last-second drive, so I'd say Flacco is doing better than Sanchez right now.

Who of Flacco, Ryan, Freeman, Bradford & Stafford boast a better receiving trio than Holmes, Burress & Keller?

Bradford has no one to throw to.
    Flacco's team is starting a rookie at WR.
    Freeman has Williams and Winslow and nothing else.
    Stafford & Ryan might have better targets in the passing game...but both guys are also playing better than Sanchez is right now.

Plus, you can't just look at ratings - look at the games. How many bonehead decisions has Sanchez made this year? How many momentum-killing red-zone INTs? How many pick-6s? Two fumbled snaps from the shotgun? In four games this year (Dallas, OAK, NE both times), he padded stats when his team was down by two scores in the 4th and defenses were playing loose coverage. Ryan and Stafford have only had the "luxury" of being blown out once this year.

This was the year the excuses were supposed to stop, or at least be minimized. And frankly, who gives a crap what some other team's garbage QB is doing? We know what we see on the field, and it's not good QB play. When you look at the elite QBs in the league, they were not making these mistakes in their 3rd years of starting. I want an elite QB, not someone who gets compared to other struggling QBs.

I realize he's here at least through his first contract, so I would love to believe the premise here that he's being held back by poor coaching, limited reps in college, etc. But I don't see how you can project elite numbers by 26-27 based on what you've seen thus far.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4235085]Great post, nailed it.

[B](fill in the blank)[B]games left, move on from the (______) game, a perfect storm of mistakes, the ball bouncing the wrong way, timely turnovers, missed FG's, turnovers, and a whole lot of luck for the[/B] (fill in the blank).[/B]Meh

It starts this week![/QUOTE]

seems like we're saying this every week we lose

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Really great post and spot on. But, the haters will find something wrong with these facts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still in Mark's corner, but I no longer believe he can be an elite QB. I think his ceiling is top 10, not top 5. And we can win with that.

That said, the idea that he has somehow had it tougher than most young QBs is patently absurd.

He has had the same coaching staff every year. He has had an elite offensive line. He has had a very good running game to take pressure off of him. And he has had one of the best scoring defenses in the league.

The idea that this is a tough situation for a young QB is a joke. Aside from arguably Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh and maybe Flacco in Baltimore, it's the best situation any top 10 drafted QB has had in the last 7-10 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4235255]I'm still in Mark's corner, but I no longer believe he can be an elite QB. I think his ceiling is top 10, not top 5. And we can win with that.

That said, the idea that he has somehow had it tougher than most young QBs is patently absurd.

He has had the same coaching staff every year. He has had an elite offensive line. He has had a very good running game to take pressure off of him. And he has had one of the best scoring defenses in the league.

The idea that this is a tough situation for a young QB is a joke. Aside from arguably Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh and maybe Flacco in Baltimore, it's the best situation any top 10 drafted QB has had in the last 7-10 years.[/QUOTE]

+1. Good post.