Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tea Party Origin

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tea Party Origin

I found an article from December 2007 that basically talks about the begining of the Tea Party movement as a liberterian entity for the support of Ron Paul. In my estimation this removes the excuse liberals here have stated calling the Tea Party a racist reaction to the election of Barrack Obama. At that point Hillary was the favorite and Obama was Hermann Cain.

[URL]http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2007/12/ron_pauls_tea_p.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]Ron Paul's tea party for dollars

Posted by James F. Smith December 16, 2007 06:33 PM

By Michael Levenson, Globe Staff

Ron Paul supporters marched today through the snow from the State House to Faneuil Hall, then smashed the one-day fund-raising record for a Republican presidential candidate.

As of 7 p.m., the supporters said they had raked in $4.3 million, surpassing the record $4.2 million total they raised on Nov. 5.

Most of the 33,000 donations were made over the Internet in what the supporters called a "money bomb" timed to coincide with the 234th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. The last fund-raising blitz, which took in 40,000 donations, was timed to coincide with Guy Fawkes Day, which commemorates a British mercenary who tried unsuccessfully to kill King James I on Nov. 5, 1605.

"This basically shows that Ron Paul is a viable candidate," said Rachael McIntosh, a spokeswoman for what was dubbed Boston TeaParty07. "People are so engaged in this campaign because itís coming from the grass-roots."

The supporters of the Texas congressman pick anniversaries of such historical events to highlight what they call the "Ron Paul Revolution."

Paul has stood out from the Republican field with his libertarian views and his opposition to the Iraq war. While he has remained in the single digits in polls nationally and in New Hampshire and Iowa, the fund-raising success has separated him from other lower-polling candidates and has enabled him to air TV ads in New Hampshire.

His supporters are unusually enthusiastic. Today, one waved a yellow "Don't Tread on Me" flag on Beacon Street in front of the State House while a dozen others clutched "Ron Paul" placards in the sleet.

Linda Poole, 53, a certified public accountant, wore a Santa hat with a Ron Paul sticker on the fur brim. She came to the rally from her home in Macon, Ga., she said.

"I've been supporting Ron Paul since May and following him since 2005," Poole said. If the "founding fathers" were alive today, she said, "Ron Paul is the only person they would vote for."

McIntosh said 400 supporters later marched to Faneuil Hall, where about 700 people listened to speeches by Rand Paul, the candidate's son, Carla Howell, a libertarian who ran unsuccessfully for Massachusetts governor in 2002, and others.

Supporters also re-enacted the dumping of tea in Boston Harbor, by tossing banners that read "tyranny" and "no taxation without representation" into boxes that were placed in front of an image of the harbor.

"They're trying to get the attention of the mainstream media, almost like a child that is acting up, trying go get the attention of their parent," McIntosh said.

[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's great :yes:

A shame that Ron Paul's movement was hijacked by non-tea party candidates who rode the wagon of public sentiment on the issue only to jump off once elected and carry on in typical politics as usual.

The mainstream Republican Party hates Ron Paul. Just do a search on JI about Ron Paul and look at JSJ/FlushingJets visceral reaction to the man....they hates him...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Boston Herald is a right wing rag. I heard on MSNBC that the Tea Party started after Obama was elected. They said it is a racist movement solely focused on getting rid of a black president.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are some aspects of the tea party which have become racist just as there are some aspects of OWS that have become anarchist. whether it was started out that way isn't really relevant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235273]there are some aspects of the tea party which have become racist just as there are some aspects of OWS that have become anarchist. whether it was started out that way isn't really relevant.[/QUOTE]

Link?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235273]there are some aspects of the tea party which have become racist just as there are some aspects of OWS that have become anarchist. whether it was started out that way isn't really relevant.[/QUOTE]

I was disputing your constant claim (which Chiefs parodied) that the party was created to dispute Obama's presidency because he is black.

There are no aspects of the Tea Party that are racist. There may be members of the Tea Party that are racists but I think that goes for every group. It is just a portrayal by their opposition to try and discredit them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4235231]That's great :yes:

A shame that Ron Paul's movement was hijacked by non-tea party candidates who rode the wagon of public sentiment on the issue only to jump off once elected and carry on in typical politics as usual.

The mainstream Republican Party hates Ron Paul. Just do a search on JI about Ron Paul and look at JSJ/FlushingJets visceral reaction to the man....they hates him...[/QUOTE]

There is definitely a difference between Liberterians and Republicans though the lines do cross on fiscal policy. They also cross between Liberterians and Democrats on some social policy.

The movement may have been used by some non-tea party candidates but I don't think it was hi-jacked. Meaning that I think you will see the tea party go against "their" candidates the next time they are up for elections for not adhering to their promises.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4235247]The Boston Herald is a right wing rag. I heard on MSNBC that the Tea Party started after Obama was elected. They said it is a racist movement solely focused on getting rid of a black president.[/QUOTE]

+1, thats what I've heard too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4235333]I was disputing your constant claim (which Chiefs parodied) that the party was created to dispute Obama's presidency because he is black. [/QUOTE]

I never made such a claim. the fact that you start this thread unchallenged should be filed under "the lady doth protest too much"

no one cares about the damn tea party.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235360]no one cares about the damn tea party.[/QUOTE]

But OWS stands for the 99%, amirite?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4235362]But OWS stands for the 99%, amirite?[/QUOTE]

I see similarities between these two movements. Both seem to want some sort of fiscal responsibility (fairness). Both believe the system is pretty much broken. Tea party works within the GOP but the OWS doesn't work within the DNC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235360]I never made such a claim. the fact that you start this thread unchallenged should be filed under "the lady doth protest too much"

no one cares about the damn tea party.[/QUOTE]

Well if it wasn't you I appoligize. I know at least one of the resident libs here have stated exactly that in the past and saw the link and found it interesting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235371]I see similarities between these two movements. Both seem to want some sort of fiscal responsibility (fairness). Both believe the system is pretty much broken. Tea party works within the GOP but the OWS doesn't work within the DNC.[/QUOTE]

The tea party doesn't want economic "fairness" they want small government and adherence to the constitution.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4235247]The Boston Herald is a right wing rag. I heard on MSNBC that the Tea Party started after Obama was elected. They said it is a racist movement solely focused on getting rid of a black president.[/QUOTE]

That is the common line of reasoning from the hard left.

They also refer to the Tea Party in a disparaging, hyper-sexual way... but for the life of me I can't remember what it is... it's some phrase that makes children giggle. I just dont remember it.

Hmmm... PK, a little help? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235371]I see similarities between these two movements. Both seem to want some sort of fiscal responsibility (fairness). Both believe the system is pretty much broken. Tea party works within the GOP but the OWS doesn't work within the DNC.[/QUOTE]

The tea party works within the GOP in some respects, but many people in the GOP can't stand the tea party, and vice versa.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

They sure are hell backed by them. Obama Pelosi and others!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235360]I never made such a claim. the fact that you start this thread unchallenged should be filed under "the lady doth protest too much"

no one cares about the damn tea party.[/QUOTE]...Tea Party ran and won seats in Congress...i think a few people may care...and this racial aspect smacks of typical left-wing talking points about Obama...once Cain is gone they'll go back to the race card...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4235371]I see similarities between these two movements. Both seem to want some sort of fiscal responsibility (fairness). Both believe the system is pretty much broken. Tea party works within the GOP but the OWS doesn't work within the DNC.[/QUOTE]...its early...i think the OWS will gravitate towards the Dems as a vehicle for expansion eventually...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;4235487]...[B]Tea Party ran and won seats in Congress[/B]...i think a few people may care...and this racial aspect smacks of typical left-wing talking points about Obama...once Cain is gone they'll go back to the race card...[/QUOTE]

How's that working out?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4235510]How's that working out?[/QUOTE]...lol...Harry and the Dems are still around...they're no push-overs...