Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placalling comment from Wilcotts on NFLN

Placalling comment from Wilcotts on NFLN

This morning a caller on the NFL Network on Sirius called in to complain about the play calling of the Falcons. Solomon's answer was quite interesting:

Paraphrasing: [I]Most NFL fans do not understand playcalling or how to assess it on an NFL level.[/I] T[I][B]he best way to assess how a coordinator is calling plays is to look at the success of the first 20 plays or so because they are scripted.[/B][/I] [I]After that, when the defenses adjust to your gameplan much more responsibility goes to the QB to make audibles and adjustments at the line[/I]

If this statement is true, and it was something that I had never really heard stated this way before, it shows how incredibly bad Schottenheimer is at calling plays.

We are almost historically bad at offense in the beginning of games. Maybe the worst in the NFL. And this is the part that according to this statement has the most influence from playcalling by the OC.

Also, if it is true that the audibles and adjustments by the QB become more important late in games this is also very damming on our OC, because Sanchez (last game nothwithstanding) improves in his QB dramatically in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

I know we all get wrapped up in emotions and that can cause us to lash out at coaching when it is not warranted, but here is a good example of tangible dispassionate evidence that Schott IS the problem and needs to go away as soon as possible.

[QUOTE=johnnysd;4235393]This morning a caller on the NFL Network on Sirius called in to complain about the play calling of the Falcons. Solomon's answer was quite interesting:

Paraphrasing: [I]Most NFL fans do not understand playcalling or how to assess it on an NFL level.[/I] T[I][B]he best way to assess how a coordinator is calling plays is to look at the success of the first 20 plays or so because they are scripted.[/B][/I] [I]After that, when the defenses adjust to your gameplan much more responsibility goes to the QB to make audibles and adjustments at the line[/I]

If this statement is true, and it was something that I had never really heard stated this way before, it shows how incredibly bad Schottenheimer is at calling plays.

We are almost historically bad at offense in the beginning of games. Maybe the worst in the NFL. And this is the part that according to this statement has the most influence from playcalling by the OC.

Also, if it is true that the audibles and adjustments by the QB become more important late in games this is also very damming on our OC, because Sanchez (last game nothwithstanding) improves in his QB dramatically in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

I know we all get wrapped up in emotions and that can cause us to lash out at coaching when it is not warranted, but here is a good example of tangible dispassionate evidence that Schott IS the problem and needs to go away as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Schottenheimer fan by any means, but if this is true...I'd say Schotty is doing a good job. It seems the Jets have usually started off opening drives well....until a turnover. A fumble, interception or last week's friggin missed FG. We lose momentum and all of a sudden we are in a hole...playing catch up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235416]I'm not a Schottenheimer fan by any means, but if this is true...I'd say Schotty is doing a good job. It seems the Jets have usually started off opening drives well....until a turnover. A fumble, interception or last week's friggin missed FG. We lose momentum and all of a sudden we are in a hole...playing catch up.[/QUOTE]

Really? Schotty's doing a good job? What do you base that on? The Jets have been notorious for not scoring offensive TDs in the first qtr for [B]years[/B].

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235416]I'm not a Schottenheimer fan by any means, but if this is true...I'd say Schotty is doing a good job.[/QUOTE]

Against the Bills- 3 points in the first half
    Pats- 7 points first half. worst pass defense in the league

I could go on about the Jets scoring no points in the first quarter of games, but It's a wast of energy at this point.

Shotty=fail
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 11-16-2011 at 11:53 AM.

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235416]I'm not a Schottenheimer fan by any means, but if this is true...I'd say Schotty is doing a good job. It seems the Jets have usually started off opening drives well....until a turnover. A fumble, interception or last week's friggin missed FG. We lose momentum and all of a sudden we are in a hole...playing catch up.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with a few points here. You are correct as we always seem to get a false start or a hold at the worst times. But I think a lot of other teams get penalized and still can score a td on that same drive. It does seem that the biggest issue Schotty faces is his inability to adjust.

Yes, we have been looking at a 2nd and 4 many times and have a great play call and gain 20 yards but Mulligan gets called for holding. We need to do a much better job at getting 14 yards over the next two plays but it just seems for us that usually those next to plays are a sack and a draw play that normaally precedes a punt.

Schotty will not be here next year...maybe we make the playoffs this year but it will be because of the defense once again.

[QUOTE=petejet;4235429]Really? Schotty's doing a good job? What do you base that on? The Jets have been notorious for not scoring offensive TDs in the first qtr for [B]years[/B].[/QUOTE]

Well my point is that it seems that the Jets start opening drives well...then something happens that is not really Schotty's fault. It's not usually a 3 and out. It's usually they're driving down the field and they turn the ball over. Last week it was a missed field goal. Maybe it's a 3rd down and Sanchez gets sacked. I'm sure if we weren't turning the ball over and we were protecting the quarterback, Schotty wouldn't look so bad. Maybe someone (who has more time than I do) could find out exactly how each opening drive of each game ended up (3 and out, INT, Fumble, qb sack taking us out of FG range, offensive penalty stalling a drive). I'd be curious.

I've only stated this no less than ten times.

3rd and 24 Sunday night and he called a draw play.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235480]Well my point is that it seems that the Jets start opening drives well...then something happens that is not really Schotty's fault. It's not usually a 3 and out. [B]It's usually they're driving down the field and they turn the ball over.[/B] Last week it was a missed field goal. Maybe it's a 3rd down and Sanchez gets sacked. I'm sure if we weren't turning the ball over and we were protecting the quarterback, Schotty wouldn't look so bad. Maybe someone (who has more time than I do) could find out exactly how each opening drive of each game ended up (3 and out, INT, Fumble, qb sack taking us out of FG range, offensive penalty stalling a drive). I'd be curious.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its anything like that. Sure that stuff happens on occasion but more times than not its usually 3 and out or settling for a field goal because the play calling in the red zone is too predictable.

[QUOTE=johnnysd;4235393][/I] [I][B]The best way to assess how a coordinator is calling plays is to look at the success of the first 20 plays or so because they are scripted.[/B][/I] [I][/QUOTE]

So I'm just wondering if it is the play calling or just an abundance of early turnovers and mistakes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235492]So I'm just wondering if it is the play calling or just an abundance of early turnovers and mistakes.[/QUOTE]

There is no ABUNDANCE of early turnovers and mistakes. This has been going on for over two seasons now. You cannot honestly believe that we have been turning the ball over and making mistakes for 2 1/2 season can you? The first qtr and early part of the game has been a disaster for no other reason than the all too predictable play calling.

[QUOTE=2009fatman;4235438]Against the Bills- 3 points in the first half
    Pats- 7 points first half. worst pass defense in the league

I could go on about the Jets scoring no points in the first quarter of games, but It's a wast of energy at this point.

Shotty=fail[/QUOTE]

This kind of proves my point. In that Bills game, our opening drive was a long 10 minute drive from deep in Jets territory down the field to inside the Bills 10 yard line only to end up with an INT and no points.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235557]This kind of proves my point. In that Bills game, our opening drive was a long 10 minute drive from deep in Jets territory down the field to inside the Bills 10 yard line only to end up with an INT and no points.[/QUOTE]

That is one instance. Statistically the Jets are in the middle of the pack when it comes to turnovers. Last year they were better.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4235485]3rd and 24 Sunday night and he called a draw play.[/QUOTE]

That's acutally a common play when you're in 3rd and long. You don't really have a play in the play book for "24+ yards" so if you feel field position is your best option, you run a draw. The defense is coming up field and the dbs/linebackers are sitting back in the zone preventing the first down. You've got a good chance at picking up 10 yards on a draw and that might set up your punter.

You might not call that one yourself but it's not an uncommon call and it's got valid reasons.

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235480]Well my point is that it seems that the Jets start opening drives well...then something happens that is not really Schotty's fault. It's not usually a 3 and out. It's usually they're driving down the field and they turn the ball over. Last week it was a missed field goal. Maybe it's a 3rd down and Sanchez gets sacked. I'm sure if we weren't turning the ball over and we were protecting the quarterback, Schotty wouldn't look so bad. Maybe someone (who has more time than I do) could find out exactly how each opening drive of each game ended up (3 and out, INT, Fumble, qb sack taking us out of FG range, offensive penalty stalling a drive). I'd be curious.[/QUOTE]

Well you'd be right for the maybe the last two games. But there is a larger body of work where we have gone 3 out so many times to start off games.

[QUOTE=CleatMarks;4235617]That's acutally a common play when you're in 3rd and long. You don't really have a play in the play book for "24+ yards" so if you feel field position is your best option, you run a draw. The defense is coming up field and the dbs/linebackers are sitting back in the zone preventing the first down. You've got a good chance at picking up 10 yards on a draw and that might set up your punter.

You might not call that one yourself but it's not an uncommon call and it's got valid reasons.[/QUOTE]

+1

I criticize Schotty's playcalling a lot, but I never have a problem with the draws and screens on 3rd & 15+. I'd bet money that the turnover% when trying to throw the ball past the markers on 3rd & 15 is almost as high as the conversion %. You can go for it in Madden, in real life you're playing the field position game.

[QUOTE=TheMo;4235660]Well you'd be right for the maybe the last two games. But there is a larger body of work where we have gone 3 out so many times to start off games.[/QUOTE]

Especially the first game against NE. I think it was 2 or 3 in a row to open the game.

All Pro
    For what its worth, the last two games we have scored on QB draws, I've called both plays from the couch. Now, if I can predict Schotty that well, I'm sure some of the defensive minds of the NFL can too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4235675]Especially the first game against NE. I think it was 2 or 3 in a row to open the game.[/QUOTE]

Yup. No turnovers in the first NE game. Just lots of 3 and outs.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=20111009017[/url]