Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Avril should be our #1 FA target

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cliff Avril should be our #1 FA target

The pass-rush has been a problem for years now and Avril would be a really good pickup for Tanny to make this offseason.

He's only 25 and is 6'3-260. Has more experience playing in the dirt, but Jets OLB's do that a significant amount of the time anyways.

2010: 9 sacks, 1 FF, 5 PD's

2011 (9 games): 6 sacks, 4 FF, 2 PD's

Sign Avril and take an OLB in the first or second.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw him play a little last year. Wonder how much he benefits from focused placed on stopping Suh? ie. like guy Edwards the DE who played Vikings. Nobody payed much attention to him due to other DL.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    My number one target would be Laron Landry... we need a safety badly

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CharlotteJetsGuy;4235553]My number one target would be Laron Landry... we need a safety badly[/QUOTE]

This needs to be our #1 target in the off-season. Free Safety is a need and we have zero depth there after Eric Smith.

Our pass rush is decent with Pace/Mayhem.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CharlotteJetsGuy;4235553]My number one target would be Laron Landry... we need a safety badly[/QUOTE]

he's a hitter, but shakey in coverage. not sure that's the type of guy we want to bring in. he loves coming up to the line to stop the run and make big hits, which at times leaves him exposed to playaction and having to cover for extended periods of time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we have a game tomorrow. Can we worry about next years FA's... Next year?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;4235561]we have a game tomorrow. Can we worry about next years FA's... Next year?[/QUOTE]

Exctly what preparation do we as fans have to do for the game tomorrow?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;4235527]Sign Avril and take an OLB in the first or second.[/QUOTE]

this. Ingram from South Carolina or Jarvis Jones from Georgia.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Avril would be a great pickup......there are a lot of good passrushers in this draft too so we'll see

A safety to replace Eric Smith is an absolute must......Pool is a much better option, but we don't use him nearly as much which makes no sense at all

I want a freak safety that can do it all......leaning more toward a coverage guy obviously

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats disappointing is that apparently aaron curry is playing pretty well since he got traded.

That was definitely an opportunity to take a shot on a player with very limited downside for the team (very similar to the Maybin situation).

Avril has the perfect size to play in this defense and would be a great addition. Yes safety is a concern, but getting avril would complete the youth movement on our Dline (ellis, Mo, Avril, Maybin, etc) and allow us to address safety, offensive line, and LB in the draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klingon;4235563]Exctly what preparation do we as fans have to do for the game tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

How about we talk about the game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, Avril WOULD BE a starting OLB

Ingram from SC is great but I wonder what position he would play in the pros.....he is an absolute freak though athletically for his size

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;4235573]How about we talk about the game?[/QUOTE]

why cant we do both.

Ingram from South Carolina or Jarvis Jones from Georgia.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you post in one of the threads about tomorrow's game? Or, start your own?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4235577]why cant we do both.

Ingram from South Carolina or Jarvis Jones from Georgia.[/QUOTE]

Ingram is nasty.....what position would he play for us though?

He plays DT, DE, MLB, and OLB at South Carolina

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Then why post twice in a thread that is clearly about the off-season? You can choose to focus solely on the DEN game. Some posters can walk and chew gum at the same time. ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4235572]Whats disappointing is that apparently aaron curry is playing pretty well since he got traded.

That was definitely an opportunity to take a shot on a player with very limited downside for the team (very similar to the Maybin situation).

Avril has the perfect size to play in this defense and would be a great addition. Yes safety is a concern, but getting avril would complete the youth movement on our Dline (ellis, Mo, Avril, Maybin, etc) and allow us to address safety, offensive line, and LB in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Can't take a shot on everyone. The Jets took a flier on Maybin and its paid off so far. The best part about that was that he was free. You can only have so many risks and developmental guys on a squad. Considering the Jets already have Westerman, Mauga, Maybin and Mcintyre on the roster, I'm not sure if they would want to have another risk/reward type guy. There are only so many snaps in a game and practice where up and comers can try and prove themselves.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=King Koopa;4235576]Guys, Avril WOULD BE a starting OLB

Ingram from SC is great but I wonder what position he would play in the pros.....he is an absolute freak though athletically for his size[/QUOTE]

6'3" 270lbs, with a motor and freakish spead....sounds like an 3-4 OLB to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LaRon Landry won't hit FA and even if he does, he's a better SS from what I've seen. Not great in coverage, but effective in the box and a big hitter.

Avril would start here immediately across from Pace while the draft pick would develop. Avril is a long-term solution at one of the OLB spots. He's only 25.

Nick Perry is the OLB from USC who profiles really well as a 3-4 OLB in the pros (6-3 250). I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets go after him, Upshaw, Jenkins, or Curry with their first round pick.