Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: See you guys Friday

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

See you guys Friday

Who has to put a note in their son's lunch bag for tomorrow that they wish his Mom was still here for him? Who has to call all the rest of the kids to apologize for not being able to do enough, even though everything possible wasn't enough?

Who? I still ask every day.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXxsJM0mPeQ[/url]

Never posted this before, but here is what I told them with 1000 friends and strangers in a church in 2004. At the time they were just 16, 14, 12 and 10.

[I] EULOGY FOR JULIE

Sarah, Matt, Jackie, Tommy,

It may look like there are a lot of other people here, but I hope that they would indulge me if I ramble on for a bit, because I think that it is important that I speak to you guys today. There will be plenty of time later today, tonight, tomorrow, the rest of our lives, to thank all these incredible people who have been so tremendously supportive of us, our family and Mom, but for right now, I need to tell YOU some things about your Mom.

It has been said that the hardest thing about death is not that it changes the future, but rather that it leaves us alone with our memories. But the memories you have created of Mom will allow her to live on forever within you.

I know you know it, but I think it is important to tell you again that Mom loved you guys so very very much. And some of the things that made her so sad about all this was that she was not going to be there for YOU for the milestone events in your lives, and that because you are so young, that someday your memories of her would begin to fade.

But I told her that could never happen because of the wonderful woman that she was, the so many incredible things we did together, the so many vivid memories we had created together, that you would not ever forget. She had that Winnie the Pooh picture on her desk that says ďPromise you wonít ever forget about me, ever. Not even when Iím a hundred.Ē Thatís never going to happen.

And I told her that I have always felt that once you had been some place, breathed the air, touched the earth, swam the water, that a little part of you would remain. So that some day, when you return to the top of Stowe Mountain and a blizzard rolled in, Mom would be there with you. And if some day you were zipping around the hairpin turns on the Amalfi Coast highway with YOUR kids, that Mom would be screaming right there with you. And when you swam the waters down the shore, or the Keys, California, or even Smith Mountain Lake, Mom would be right there with you. You can breathe her in again. She will be there with you always to cheer that goal, see you walk down the aisle, see you graduate from college, hold the bag for YOUR son when HE throws up in the Louvre.

No child should ever have to grow up without a mother, and there are no grand lessons to be learned by all of this. But I hope someday when you fully understand that Mom wonít be coming back, you realize that any moment could be the last. Nothing in life should simply be a passage from one place to another. Each walk should be taken as if it is the only thing you have left. Life is not a dress rehearsal. You may plan for the future, as Mom and I did, but it can be ripped away from you at any moment. So plan, but also live for today.

But the part about all this that hurt Mom the most was that she knew she would never get to see the type of persons you would ultimately come to be. You are SUCH great kids, Mom wanted to be there to see how you continued to develop as teens, young adults, as husbands and wives, as parents. Thatís what disappointed her so very much, the not knowing.

So you would honor your mother greatly if you would ALWAYS stay the type of sweet, kind, gentle, loving people that you are now, so that her last thoughts of you allowed her to see you EXACTLY how you turned out to be.

November 17, 2004[/I]

I know it gets old for you guys, but it just doesn't go away for me.

This one day of the year I hope you indulge me.

_

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine your position, Stokes. Seems terribly unfair. We are here for you.

My wife is on her 3rd straight week of no smoking (Allen Carr method?); I was in her chest about me "not raising grandkids alone". I guess she heard that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't finish reading that.... that was painful and I don't even know you.

It's possible that Stokes has inspired me to believe in love again.
    Last edited by southside; 11-17-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... not sure what else to say. I simply can not imagine losing my wife. We have talked about this because she lost both of her parents by the time she was 2.

Life can be so unfair but oh the gifts your wife left behind. Four wonderful children who carry her memory with them all the days of their lives. That is her legacy.

Some day you will all be together in paradise. That may sound hollow now but I hope that knowing that can give you some peace on such a day of sorrow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stokes - you're in my thoughts and prayers today! I hope you and the kids have the opportunity to get together and celebrate Julie.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take care buddy. No words can describe what you've been through, and no it never get old with us.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    man im in your kids ages and that brought me to tears and i cant imagine. God bless you and hope all is well.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    and i just called my mom. Thank you Stokes that was very meaningful for me

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4236317]I couldn't finish reading that.... that was painful and I don't even know you.[/QUOTE]

+1

I really don't know what else to so say but belated condolences.

I've never had an untimely death in my family, thank God, and personally this is the only reason that keeps me from becoming a full fledged atheist. My mother went through two bouts with breast cancer and survived em both. Both times I was scared ****less and I was much older then your kids. For lucky people like me what you and your family must've went through is just unimaginable. Again and again very sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by The Turk; 11-17-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4236328]Take care buddy. No words can describe what you've been through, [B]and no it never get old with us[/B].[/QUOTE]

+1. I hope it helps a bit in dealing with your loss. If anything it reminds us that life can throw a fastball at us at any time.

:rip:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay strong today..... Very touching, def gave a diff outlook for the day.... One day at a time.... Carpe diem....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautifully stated, I wish the best for you and your children.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Stokes I can't believe it has been that long, as always my prayers for you and yours. One thing fellas, appreciate the relationships you have, bad things happen to good people when you least expect it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peace and solace, muchacho.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts and prayers, Stokes.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... thanks stokes ...

... i appreciate your sharing that with us; as well as the tears and thoughts and memories it brought me ...

God bless you and your family

l_j_r

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're a good man, Stokes. Your kids are very lucky to have a father like you.

My brother's wife passed a year and a half ago. I was hoping my brother would step up and be the kind of dad for his two sons that you seem to be for your kids. But unfortunately that hasn't happened. Those two kids (both are very young, 4 and 3 years old) pretty much lost both of their parents when their mother died, because their father is a bum.

Sorry to hijack your thread, my friend. This stuff weighs heavily on me. It is probably the reason why I've been a bit nastier around here as of late.

Have a few cold ones and be thankful for those kids of yours. They truly are gifts your wife left you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay strong Stokes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Condolences, Stokes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4236423]You're a good man, Stokes. Your kids are very lucky to have a father like you.

My brother's wife passed a year and a half ago. I was hoping my brother would step up and be the kind of dad for his two sons that you seem to be for your kids. But unfortunately that hasn't happened. Those two kids (both are very young, 4 and 3 years old) pretty much lost both of their parents when their mother died, because their father is a bum.

Sorry to hijack your thread, my friend. This stuff weighs heavily on me. It is probably the reason why I've been a bit nastier around here as of late.

Have a few cold ones and be thankful for those kids of yours. They truly are gifts your wife left you.[/QUOTE]

If your brother doesn't want to do the job why don't you offer to take the kids in? If he doesn't want to be away from them take them all in so you can be there for all of them.