Thread: Music Services

Jets Insider VIP

Music Services

So, two new music services were started this week, iTunes Match and Google Music. I have decided to try them both and see which I like better.

So far, even with the $25 yearly fee (versus $0 for Google), I like the iTunes Match service. It allows you to upload ALL your music (Google does as well), but it automatically upgrades any song to a 256bit AAC file, permanently. Plus it also carries over all my playlists and metadata. That said, for some reason Apple saw fit to have the local content on your device be deleted when Match is selected. So if you are going somewhere that won't afford you a good (or any) connection, you better download some music to your device and turn off the Match feature. Which leads to the next problem; once you play a song from Match, it is downloaded to the device. Problem is, you can't delete it. I'm sure that will be remedied soon, but still, there it is.

I am playing around with Google music right now, seems pretty good. I don't know how well it will work on my iPhone yet as I have not uploaded my whole library. So far, it's been painfully slow. I'll update when I have had a chance to use the service a bit more.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4236802]So, two new music services were started this week, iTunes Match and Google Music. I have decided to try them both and see which I like better.

So far, even with the $25 yearly fee (versus $0 for Google), I like the iTunes Match service. It allows you to upload ALL your music (Google does as well), but it automatically upgrades any song to a 256bit AAC file, permanently. Plus it also carries over all my playlists and metadata. That said, for some reason Apple saw fit to have the local content on your device be deleted when Match is selected. So if you are going somewhere that won't afford you a good (or any) connection, you better download some music to your device and turn off the Match feature. Which leads to the next problem; once you play a song from Match, it is downloaded to the device. Problem is, you can't delete it. I'm sure that will be remedied soon, but still, there it is.

I am playing around with Google music right now, seems pretty good. I don't know how well it will work on my iPhone yet as I have not uploaded my whole library. So far, it's been painfully slow. I'll update when I have had a chance to use the service a bit more.[/QUOTE]

Your whole library? Damn yeah its gotta be slow...I cant be sure but Ive probably got 200gb of music on my external drive...

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/thebuzzah/nk_siskel_ebert.jpg[/IMG]