Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex vs Belichick

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4243236]Well said. Thanks for digging up Rick Kotite's winning percentage. If I recall, he had some very good years with Philly. This is a perfect illustration. You nailed it. Without Tammy, Belicheat is nothing...he would not have a job.

But that day is coming and when these NE trolls disappear and go back into hibernation not to be heard from again (Jets fans, remember the days going up to NE playing in fromt of 30,000 fans). [B]Tammy's clock is ticking. Nothing lasts forever. Just ask the 49ers after Joe Montana[/B].[/QUOTE]

LMFAO...you are a joke. Yeah, the 49ers sucked after Montana. They had to suffer through those terrible years with Steve Young.

[QUOTE=CleatMarks;4243238]Like who? Bill Walsh,Chuck Knoll, Dungy (recent)? Name these coaches who've had that kind of success for that period of time. I'll bet there are only a few and probably HOF coaches.

I'm calling bull****.[/QUOTE]

off the top of my head, Dungy, Seifert, Reeves, Coreyell (sp?), Shula (80s), Levy, etc. How's that for bull shat genius?

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4243247]LMFAO...you are a joke. Yeah, the 49ers sucked after Montana. They had to suffer through those terrible years with Steve Young.[/QUOTE]

The only joke is you, troll, posting on this site. In regards to the 49ers, not sure if it was 5/6 years post Monatana with Steve Young at the helm but it is like the current Patsies situation. For all that success, he won only one championship. Joe had mulitple. You can only wish that NE will have a post-like Montana era. Highly doubt it.

Now GFY....

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4243228]You are making a horse's ass out of yourself. Many teams/coaches can claim high winning percentages during a certain stretch in their respective careers. [B]How many playoffs wins does Belicheat have over that period?[/B] If the answer is none, as it is, you can take your winning percentage and shove it up your avartar.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you can show me how they got to the Super Bowl (42) without winning a playoff game, I'll concede your point.

Until then, you are the horse's ass.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4243233]I am more than happy that Rex is the Jets coach and thank god Belicheat never became our coach. Let's not rewrite history. Absent Tammy, Belicheat is another overated coordinator. And all you need to do is watch his press conference when he resigned as Jets coach. [B]That famous performance tells you all you need to know[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yeah.......... It tells you that he wanted nothing to do with the Jets or their ownership. He wanted to go someplace where he would have a chance to establish a winning program.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4243262]The only joke is you, troll, posting on this site. In regards to the 49ers, not sure if it was 5/6 years post Monatana with Steve Young at the helm but it is like the current Patsies situation. For all that success, he won only one championship. Joe had mulitple. You can only wish that NE will have a post-like Montana era. Highly doubt it.

Now GFY....[/QUOTE]

You did notice that Belichick went 11-5 with the undrafted Matt Cassel at quarterback for an entire season?

I think both are super swell coaches.

Alas, we shall never be able to compare them until BB doesn't have a great QB and Sexy Rexy does.

[QUOTE=BluVayner;4243275]You did notice that Belichick went 11-5 with the undrafted Matt Cassel at quarterback for an entire season?[/QUOTE]

You mean the same Matt Cassel who led the KC Chiefs to a division title last year? Don't say Matt Cassel isnt good.

Of course Rex is only in his 3rd year head coaching. The first 3 years of BB's head caching career were crap in Cleveland so lets hold judgement.

[QUOTE=Eckesg1;4243291]You mean the same Matt Cassel who led the KC Chiefs to a division title last year? Don't say Matt Cassel isnt good.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that he wasn't good. I said that he wasn't drafted. (which BTW was my mistake.....he was 7th round) He also never started a game of college football. But Belichick regognized the talent, stuck with him, and developed him into a good NFL quarterback. Just like he did with Brady.

[QUOTE=BluVayner;4243303]I didn't say that he wasn't good. I said that he wasn't drafted. (which BTW was my mistake.....he was 7th round) He also never started a game of college football. But Belichick regognized the talent, stuck with him, and developed him into a good NFL quarterback. Just like he did with Brady.[/QUOTE]

Well with Brady he didnt have much of a choice. By the time Bledsoe was healthy again, Brady had played well enough that BB couls say that Brady would be his QB.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BluVayner;4243188]Since spygate the Pats record is 57-16 for a win percentage of .781. (That's a better percentage than they had in the Belichick era before spygate.) They've won 3 division championships (soon to be 4), and tied for the division lead in the only season that they didn't win the division, but lost it on tie breakers. They also won the AFC Championship and played in Super Bowl 42. [B]The last time that the Jets played in a Super Bowl, Joe Namath was wearing paisley polyester bell bottoms, white side zipper boots, and a neru jacket.[/QUOTE]
    [/B]

Actually, I think he still wears that.

[QUOTE=Eckesg1;4243306]Well with Brady he didnt have much of a choice. By the time Bledsoe was healthy again, Brady had played well enough that BB couls say that Brady would be his QB.[/QUOTE]
    That is totally untrue. At the end of the 2000 season (his rookie year) Brady was the 4th string quarterback behind Bledsoe, John Freiz, and Michael Bishop. In the offseason the Pats gave a million dollar a year contract to Damon Huard to come in and be Bledsoe's backup. During training camp Brady performed well enough that Belichick gave him the backup job over Huard who he had just signed as a free agent. Most coaches would not have done that.

At the start of the season Bledsoe signed a new contract worth $100M. He was the face of the franchise. When Bledsoe got hurt, Brady was put in as starter over Huard. He played very well, but in an offense that was simplified because of his inexperience. When Bledsoe recovered from his injury there was very heated debate between both fans and media as to whether Bledsoe should be given his job back as starter. Belichick chose to stick with Brady despite much criticism. Brady was playing very well, but was still seen mainly as a game manager, rather than a franchise quarterback like Bledsoe. Even after the Patriots won the Super Bowl, the debate raged on. There was great debate as to whether Brady was the real deal, or simply a flash in the pan game manager. Belichick staked his entire future as a coach on Brady, and traded Bledsoe to Buffalo. Very few people thought that was a smart move.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and the debate has been long forgotten, but it was a very real controversy back in 2002. Many felt that Belichick was trading away a proven franchise quarterback, in favor of a skinny, run of the mill passer, with a dime a dozen arm. The Patriot fan base was divided almost 50/50 on the issue. If Brady had been a flash in the pan, and Bledsoe had gone on to complete a Hall of Fame career, Belichick would have been run out of town. He staked his entire reputation as a coach on Tom Brady. It was a very courageous decision, that most coaches and general managers never would have made. Nobody can ever accuse Belichick of being afraid to make a decision.

3 rings versus ZERO rings. There is really nothing further to say.
    Plus 4 SB appearances PLUS how many AFCE titles.
    And enough about this first three years crap. How many titles did Lombardi win in his first couple years?
    Next the brilliants will be saying Rex is greater than Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Shula?

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4243346]3 rings versus ZERO rings. There is really nothing further to say.
    And enough about this first three years crap. How many titles did Lombardi win in his first couple years?
    Next the brilliants will be saying Rex is greater than Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Shula?[/QUOTE]

1. He actually has a ring with the Ravens. You didnt make the stipulation of head coach.

2. When did I say that he was better than Lombardi? All I'm saying is dont judge him on three years only. If you could wait to judge Lombardi, you can wait to judge Rex.

[QUOTE=Eckesg1;4243353]1. He actually has a ring with the Ravens. You didnt make the stipulation of head coach.

2. When did I say that he was better than Lombardi? All I'm saying is dont judge him on three years only. If you could wait to judge Lombardi, you can wait to judge Rex.[/QUOTE]

So does the flipping strength coach. Give me a break. HC is what we are discussing.
    Everybody is bad mouthing BB for his first three years. USE LOGIC.
    Lombardi was not a loud mouth buffoon. He neither bragged nor predicted. Nor did most of the other greats. Rex setr himself up to be criticized. And he should be until he wins it all like HE GUARANTEED.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4243346]3 rings versus ZERO rings. There is really nothing further to say.
    Next the brilliants will be saying Rex is greater than Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Shula?[/QUOTE]

Actually, Lombardi took over a losing franchise and never had a losing season until his one year in Washinton. And I think he has a ring within 3 years.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4243293]Of course Rex is only in his 3rd year head coaching. [b]The first 3 years of BB's head caching career were crap[/b] in Cleveland so lets hold judgement.[/QUOTE]

"[b]I have a story to tell. It’s the story of a coach who took over a team that had played for the AFC Championship not three years before. However the team was coming off it’s worst historical season in terms of point differential in 1990.[/b]

Bill Belichick was hired to coach the morbid Cleveland Browns in 1991, and he held that position until the team fired him and left for Baltimore in 1996. This is obviously not a particularly good situation to be coaching in, and it’s somewhat comparable to Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville, Chan Gailey in Buffalo, and Leslie Frasier in Minnesota. The only sure fire way to keep the team in their current locale — and to keep your employment status with the team — is to win consistently. [b]And for four years, Bill Belichick more or less worked miracles in Cleveland to keep the team competitive until he had built the AFCs strongest team.[/b] However, unlike in his New England days, the Browns had no staying power, regressed sharply in 1995, and moved to Baltimore."

[url]http://liveballsports.com/2011/07/04/bill-belichick-was-a-really-good-coach-with-the-cleveland-browns/[/url]

I beg to differ. Had Rex (or most other coaches) had the team BB inherited I suspect he would not have had much, if any, greater success.
    Especially with an owner like Modell JMHO.
    Last edited by The Boston Patriot; 11-19-2011 at 05:01 PM.

[QUOTE=Eckesg1;4243353]1. He actually has a ring with the Ravens. You didnt make the stipulation of head coach.[/QUOTE]

In that case you can raise it to five to one. Belichick had two rings as coordinator for the Giants, and three with the Pats.

[QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4243523]"[b]I have a story to tell. It’s the story of a coach who took over a team that had played for the AFC Championship not three years before. However the team was coming off it’s worst historical season in terms of point differential in 1990.[/b]

Bill Belichick was hired to coach the morbid Cleveland Browns in 1991, and he held that position until the team fired him and left for Baltimore in 1996. This is obviously not a particularly good situation to be coaching in, and it’s somewhat comparable to Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville, Chan Gailey in Buffalo, and Leslie Frasier in Minnesota. The only sure fire way to keep the team in their current locale — and to keep your employment status with the team — is to win consistently. [n]And for four years, Bill Belichick more or less worked miracles in Cleveland to keep the team competitive until he had built the AFCs strongest team.[/b] However, unlike in his New England days, the Browns had no staying power, regressed sharply in 1995, and moved to Baltimore."

[url]http://liveballsports.com/2011/07/04/bill-belichick-was-a-really-good-coach-with-the-cleveland-browns/[/url]

I beg to differ. Had Rex (or most other coaches) had the team BB inherited I suspect he would not have had much, if any, greater success.
    Especially with an owner like Modell JMHO.[/QUOTE]

Belichick transformed a horrible 3-13 Cleveland team into an 11-5 playoff team in four years. This was in the pre salary cap, pre free agency days, when it generally took five years to turn a team around. His team fell apart at the seams the following year, when Art Modell announced at MIDSEASON that the team would be moving to Baltimore at the end of the year. The fans turned on the team, and the team went into the tank. It was a no win situation for Belichick. When they moved, Modell decided to hire a more PR oriented coach to woo fans in his new market.

After Modell fired Belichick, Parcells hired him to run the defense for the Patriots. The Pats went to the Super Bowl that season.

Belichick did a good job coaching in Cleveland. Modell wanted a PR man.
    Last edited by BluVayner; 11-19-2011 at 04:40 PM.