Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex vs Belichick

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BluVayner;4243538]

After Modell fired Belichick, Parcells hired him to run the defense for the Patriots. The Pats went to the Super Bowl that season.

Belichick did a good job coaching in Cleveland. Modell wanted a PR man.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so great that he leaves Brady riding the pine until Bledsoe was forced out of the game by injury. The core of their 3 SB teams were players picked and drafted by Parcell's.

Year by year, the veneer is wearing thin. And year after year his defensive team ranks lower and lower.

I differ from lots of my fellow Jet fans. I wouldn't want that POS cheating snake coaching my team. You and Bon Jovi keep your little butt boy in Bastan where he belongs. Just like the Saints, the Jets will get their turn someday w/o mr. wonderful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SpiritOfWeeb;4243572]Yeah, so great that he leaves Brady riding the pine until Bledsoe was forced out of the game by injury. The core of their 3 SB teams were players picked and drafted by Parcell's.

Year by year, the veneer is wearing thin. And year after year his defensive team ranks lower and lower.

I differ from lots of my fellow Jet fans. I wouldn't want that POS cheating snake coaching my team. You and Bon Jovi keep your little butt boy in Bastan where he belongs. Just like the Saints, the Jets will get their turn someday w/o mr. wonderful.[/QUOTE]

You are right of course. Nobody wants BB, especially the Jets. I wonder
    why they made him the HC of the NYJ and he quit the team a day later?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no use in comparing Rex and BB, it's no contest. BB is clearly the winner by a hands down margin.

Rex is a great motivator. He's a great recruiter. He can get a lot of highly sought after FA's to join the Jets. Most players want to play for Rex. Rex is also very good at X's and O's. He studies the game and different strategies endlessly.

BB is also a great motivator, as evidenced by every single week when his team always comes to play. BB is also a very good recruiter, nearly as good as Rex. Players also really want to play for a winner. They want to go to SB's and BB provides them that opportunity. BB is the master of X's and O's, he also studies the game and different strategies around the clock. He's also come up with some of the most ingenius defensive plans in NFL history.

But beyond those categories, BB has everything and Rex has nothing. BB instills discipline is his team. Every single player from the 1st to the 53rd roster spot, regardless of how talented they are, all of those players in between will play sound, fundamental football. They won't commit very many penalties. They will always hang on to the football. Their defensive players will be textbook tacklers.

These are ALL things where Rex drops the ball. He either doesn't think about those things or he doesn't care. The Jets offense are notoriously slow starters, especially Sanchez. They are very inconsistent on offense and defense, and even at least a few games per season on the special teams. The units are inconsistent because there are so many inconsistent players on the team. All of the units on the Jets team tend to be penalty prone at times. How many times have we seen an otherwise stellar defensive performance nullified by an onslought of penalties? The defense tends to go through bouts of poor tackling. Hell, even Revis for crying out loud had a missed tackle in the Denver game.

This is where the margin of difference lies. Until Rex can become a BETTER HC we will always be set up only to disappoint. He'll always talk the talk and MORE often than not he'll walk the walk. But he'll never be as good as BB for the reasons I stated above.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SpiritOfWeeb;4243572]Just like the Saints, the Jets will get their turn someday w/o mr. wonderful.[/QUOTE]

You don't take "turns."

LOLz.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BluVayner;4243275]You did notice that Belichick went 11-5 with the undrafted Matt Cassel at quarterback for an entire season?[/QUOTE]

Actually, Matt was a 7th round pick. I know that because I tore my draft guides apart trying to find info on him when they called his name.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4243599]You don't take "turns."

LOLz.[/QUOTE]

I agree. You gals went 40 years without a championship, no?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4243911]I agree. You gals went 40 years without a championship, no?[/QUOTE]
    Actually 30 since the 1970 merger. Anything before that is in a different era, and should have *noting that. Just like old AFL and and NFL Championships.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4243911]I agree. You gals went 40 years without a championship, no?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! The Pats franchise used to be baaaaaaaaad. Trust me I know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4243593]There's no use in comparing Rex and BB, it's no contest. BB is clearly the winner by a hands down margin.

Rex is a great motivator. He's a great recruiter. He can get a lot of highly sought after FA's to join the Jets. Most players want to play for Rex. Rex is also very good at X's and O's. He studies the game and different strategies endlessly.

BB is also a great motivator, as evidenced by every single week when his team always comes to play. BB is also a very good recruiter, nearly as good as Rex. Players also really want to play for a winner. They want to go to SB's and BB provides them that opportunity. BB is the master of X's and O's, he also studies the game and different strategies around the clock. He's also come up with some of the most ingenius defensive plans in NFL history.

But beyond those categories, BB has everything and Rex has nothing. BB instills discipline is his team. Every single player from the 1st to the 53rd roster spot, regardless of how talented they are, all of those players in between will play sound, fundamental football. They won't commit very many penalties. They will always hang on to the football. Their defensive players will be textbook tacklers.

These are ALL things where Rex drops the ball. He either doesn't think about those things or he doesn't care. The Jets offense are notoriously slow starters, especially Sanchez. They are very inconsistent on offense and defense, and even at least a few games per season on the special teams. The units are inconsistent because there are so many inconsistent players on the team. All of the units on the Jets team tend to be penalty prone at times. How many times have we seen an otherwise stellar defensive performance nullified by an onslought of penalties? The defense tends to go through bouts of poor tackling. Hell, even Revis for crying out loud had a missed tackle in the Denver game.

[B]This is where the margin of difference lies. Until Rex can become a BETTER HC we will always be set up only to disappoint[/B]. He'll always talk the talk and MORE often than not he'll walk the walk. But he'll never be as good as BB for the reasons I stated above.[/QUOTE]

What did BB do in his first 5 years with the Browns?? He's been a HC for 17+ years and Rex isn't done with year 3 yet.. Next lets compare Shonn Greene and Jim Brown..:cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4244042]What did BB do in his first 5 years with the Browns?? He's been a HC for 17+ years and Rex isn't done with year 3 yet.. Next lets compare Shonn Greene and Jim Brown..:cool:[/QUOTE]

Hence the reason I said UNTIL. I'm not advocating firing Rex here, that would be stupid. He's probably the best HC this organization has seen since Parcells.

But also remember that even when BB was in Cleveland, his players always played good sound, fundamental football. He just didn't have enough talent in Cleveland. This not the case with Rex.

Would you disagree about what I am saying in reference to inconsistency?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4244044]Hence the reason I said UNTIL. I'm not advocating firing Rex here, that would be stupid. He's probably the best HC this organization has seen since Parcells.

But also remember that even when BB was in Cleveland, his players always played good sound, fundamental football. He just didn't have enough talent in Cleveland. This not the case with Rex.

Would you disagree about what I am saying in reference to inconsistency?[/QUOTE]

The QB's that BB had with the Browns was Kosar and Vinny he still only had 1 winning season.. The Tuna,Bill Walsh or most sucessful HC's didn't do what Rex did with a young QB like Rex did in their first 2 years.. BB didn't have the talent and Rex does?? And of the whole Jet roster when you get past Revis,Mangold and to lesser degree Harris,Holmes and Brick you think the team is loaded???:confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4244049]The QB's that BB had with the Browns was Kosar and Vinny he still only had 1 winning season.. The Tuna,Bill Walsh or most sucessful HC's didn't do what Rex did with a young QB like Rex did in their first 2 years.. BB didn't have the talent and Rex does?? And of the whole Jet roster when you get past Revis,Mangold and to lesser degree Harris,Holmes and Brick you think the team is loaded???:confused:[/QUOTE]

I never said the Jets are loaded past Revis and Mangold. All that I am saying is that he has better talent than BB had in Cleveland. Look at all of the FA's Rex has brought in. Did BB have that benefit in Cleveland?

But that's also not what we were discussing. We were discussing the differences between Rex and BB in regards to being HC.

I stand by what I said. It's the fundamentals. It's the details. That is what makes BB a better HC than Rex. You cannot debate that the Patsies (as much as I hate to admit it) players always play good, sound fundamental football. They rarely if ever shoot themselves in the foot.

The Jets players, on the other hand, do it almost on a weekly basis. Just look at the Patsies game. Can't you see that the Jets shot themselves and gave themselves NO chance to win based on mistake prone football? based on not being able to hold on to the football? Based on being way too inconsistent and taking the first 18 minutes of the game to allow the Patsies to get the lead at 6-0?

The responsibility for getting players to play consistently falls on the CS. Rex has allowed that to occur so many times with the Jets right from the start up until now, I can't even remember all of the instances. It's Rex's job to start to lean on players that tend to be inconsistent. Players that tend to commit too many penalties. Players that have a hard time holding on to the football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4244044]But also remember that even when BB was in Cleveland, his players always played good sound, fundamental football. He just didn't have enough talent in Cleveland. [/QUOTE]

Go ask real Cleveland Browns fans what they thought of Belichick as their head coach.

Their responses would have nothing to do with "lack of talent".
    Last edited by Phoenixx; 11-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    <sarcasm>Clearly all of the praise BB gets from coaches and players past and present is bull****. Brady just covers up his mistakes. Only the fans, most of whom wouldn't know if they were looking at man or cover 2, know that BB is a phony. Congrats, you've exposed the conspiracy to hide BB's lack of knowledge from the rest of the world. </sarcasm>

Do some of you really believe what you're saying? The guy knows more about football than half the league combined coaching and players and there probably wouldn't be a soul in the game that wouldn't read a book about football if he wrote it. Don't kid yourselves, he might not evaluate the best talent, but the guy can take complete **** and turn it into gold. Yes, let's harp on the mistakes he makes because the other 90% of the magic he makes isn't good enough for the mediocre crap that most of the league produces with twice the talent. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4244056]I never said the Jets are loaded past Revis and Mangold. All that I am saying is that he has better talent than BB had in Cleveland. Look at all of the FA's Rex has brought in. [B]Did BB have that benefit in Cleveland?[/B]But that's also not what we were discussing. We were discussing the differences between Rex and BB in regards to being HC.

I stand by what I said. It's the fundamentals. It's the details. That is what makes BB a better HC than Rex. You cannot debate that the Patsies (as much as I hate to admit it) players always play good, sound fundamental football. They rarely if ever shoot themselves in the foot.

The Jets players, on the other hand, do it almost on a weekly basis. Just look at the Patsies game. Can't you see that the Jets shot themselves and gave themselves NO chance to win based on mistake prone football? based on not being able to hold on to the football? Based on being way too inconsistent and taking the first 18 minutes of the game to allow the Patsies to get the lead at 6-0?

The responsibility for getting players to play consistently falls on the CS. Rex has allowed that to occur so many times with the Jets right from the start up until now, I can't even remember all of the instances. It's Rex's job to start to lean on players that tend to be inconsistent. Players that tend to commit too many penalties. Players that have a hard time holding on to the football.[/QUOTE]

Yes he did if Joe Morris,Mark Bavaro,Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks count..And that's just the old Giant players there were other FA's..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People like to complain about BB's Cleveland career but what did he do? He took a joke of a team (old roster way past its prime) in a tough division, improved them every year, and by the 4th year, had them in the playoffs. That's bad??????:rolleyes:

You can't blame the last year of his coaching record on him. The team ownership was in shambles and decided to move them team during the season... not exactly his fault.

Rex started off with a much stronger team than BB. Rex has done great but BB didn't exactly suck in Cleveland.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 11-20-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;4244090]People like to complain about BB's Cleveland career but what did he do? He took a joke of a team (old roster way past its prime) in a tough division, improved them every year, and by the 4th year, had them in the playoffs. That's bad??????:rolleyes:

You can't blame the last year of his coaching record on him. The team ownership was in shambles and decided to move them team during the season... not exactly his fault.

Rex started off with a much stronger team than BB. Rex has done great but BB didn't exactly suck in Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Bernie Kosar was a decent QB for the Browns.. Prior to the year that BB took over which was bad the Browns were in the Playoffs 1985-1989 when was the last time we made the playoffs 4 straight years?? BB was always a great DC as Rex is but he became a really great HC when Brady came on the scene he was 5-11 with Bledsoe in 2000..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex takes care of business whith players that don't perfor, Kerry Rhodes and Mason come to mind.

He chews people out, but in private. There is no reason to do it in front of the cameras.

He spoke up Gholston, but he did cut him when Gholston didn't produce.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;4244058]Go ask real Cleveland Browns fans what they thought of Belichick as their head coach.

Their responses would have nothing to do with "lack of talent".[/QUOTE]

I did. I called into Michael Holly (from Ohio) and debated him on the issue.
    Cleveland fans hated BB when he dumped Kosar and never forgave him. BB
    has acknowledged his personality issues didn't endear him to those fans
    either. Regardless, he went on to a distinguished career with the Giants and
    subsequently the Jets, then the Pats. [b]The way you folks seem to lean on
    his unsuccessful time in Cleveland as a strawman is unfortunate as he
    certainly has shown he has the skill and talent to run a football organization
    well.[/b] Is he perfect? Not by a long shot, but I will take him over most other
    coaches in the NFL. I find [b]some[/b] parallels between Rex and Bill. It
    will be interesting to see how Rex manages the difficult times.

BTW, I think (speculate) that if Belichick had almost anyone else besides
    Modell as an owner I think he would have fared much better, especially
    if he had one with deep pockets like Woody of Kraft.

One thing is for sure. His time in Cleveland wasn't wasted. He vowed never
    to get into that kind of a mess again and that was what he feared with
    the Jets at the time he quit. Nothing to do with the team, everything to
    do with ownership and upper management and their stupid political games.
    Oh what might have been if Parcells wasn't hell bent on playing stupid games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4244107]BB was always a great DC as Rex is but he became a really great HC when Brady came on the scene he was 5-11 with Bledsoe in 2000..[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, the famous Brady argument. You are correct, that without a decent
    QB you are going nowhere in the NFL. Who is going to argue with that?
    But without a ****load of other decent players you are not going anywhere
    either. Belichick inherited Carroll's daycare camp in 2000 with a pile of
    overpaid, overweight, out of shape, and pampered players, yet had a decent
    bunch of players as well. Bledsoe was a one trick pony, big arm, no brains,
    and he displayed it almost every week on the field. The contracts they were
    giving out to marginal performers prior to Belichick arriving was staggering.
    I would argue that his 5-11 record was pretty damn good with the way that
    roster was when he arrived. Not only that but the Pats gave up their first
    round pick to the Jets for Belichick along with a bunch of others. All in all,
    I think he did one hell of a good job from the get go and still does. Btw,
    in his second year the Pats won the SB. Even you have to admit that is
    a pretty good step up from 5-11.