Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Band-Off: Pink Floyd vs Steely Dan

All League

Band-Off: Pink Floyd vs Steely Dan

One dark and moody. The other reflective but playful. Both very intelligent, distinctive, and musically creative. Many similarities between the two: both have amazing lead guitarists, both feature prominent use of sax, both are essentially studio bands. Lots of differences too, tho.

My vote:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiy09DIsZFU[/url]
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-20-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4243879]One dark and moody. The other reflective but playful. Both very intelligent, distinctive, and musically creative. Many similarities between the two: both have amazing lead guitarists, both feature prominent use of sax, both are essentially studio bands. Lots of differences too, tho.

My vote:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiy09DIsZFU[/url][/QUOTE]

Not even in the same league......

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree that they aren't in the same league...

A vote for Floyd

All Pro
    My Vote:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11UUVzlI6hI[/url]

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4243963]Not even in the same league......[/QUOTE]

Every 6 months you make a good point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Up next: Lasagna... or unsalted rice cakes?

All League
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4244053]Up next: Lasagna... or unsalted rice cakes?[/QUOTE]

LOLS. Well, I guess I'm in the minority.

Although more often than not I'd rather listen to Steely Dan. Being a depressive personality, a lot of the time Pink Floyd is too much for me...like revisiting every painful moment of my childhood. Hey look mommy, a bomb is falling on our house. :yes:
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-20-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4244053]Up next: Lasagna... or unsalted rice cakes?[/QUOTE]

And then:

Vagina or 60 grit sandpaper.

[SIZE="1"]And I like Steely Dan, but really? Against Pink Floyd?[/SIZE]
    _

Steely f'n Dan?

[QUOTE]Pink Floyd was for the most part, a very successful band. The purpose of this page is to show just how successful they were. They have 16 gold albums, 13 platinum ones, and 10 multi-platinum ones. Two of their albums The Wall and The Dark Side of The Moon are two of the bestselling albums ever. The Wall is 3rd, and Dark Side is 11th. They both have received a Diamond award for selling over 10 million copies. They've had numerous #1 albums, and a #1 single. Pink Floyd has three albums in the Top 100 bestselling ever Dark Side, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here. They are the 9th bestselling artist ever selling over 52.6 million records. Dark Side was on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart for a record 736 weeks. It also has the record for most consecutive weeks, with over 500. In fact they changed the rules because of it when it finally dropped off the charts in 1988, 14 years after it went on. Actually Dark Side is still on the Billboard Pop Catalog Albums Chart for the 1,162nd consecutive week, and The Wall just dropped off this week after over 520 consecutive weeks on it.

[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4244109]And then:

Vagina or 60 grit sandpaper.

[SIZE="1"]And I like Steely Dan, but really? Against Pink Floyd?[/SIZE]
    _[/QUOTE]

Put Southside down for the 60 grit.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=crossfire;4244158]Put Southside down for the 60 grit.[/QUOTE]

Lmao!

Dig both band , but Floyd takes this fight by knockout in the first round.

-

This isn't even close. Floyd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Steely Dan.

Sorry, folks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4244504]Steely Dan.

Sorry, folks.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree. Throw in a Nelson "HAha" at PK for agreeing with one of the graybeards he so likes to mock here. Oh sure, Floyd had its time near the top of my list, back when I thought everything was so deeep maaannnn...but now it just comes across as the theme song for the dude standing on the edge of a chair with a noose around his neck. Yes, I know Steely Dan ain't the Monkees, or even the Beatles, but it's definitely one of the first 8-tracks I reach for when I want music that makes me feel good.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4244841]Steely Dan....it's definitely one of the first 8-tracks I reach for when I want music that makes me feel good.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you enjoy the hard warm pressure of a man's penis entering your anal canal.

Not suprised, tbh.

I always had my suspicions.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4244911]Apparently you enjoy the hard warm pressure of a man's penis entering your anal canal.

Not suprised, tbh.

I always had my suspicions.[/QUOTE]

lol. :shakehead

a vote for Floyd.

[IMG]http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/imagespinkfloyd.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;4244926]lol. :shakehead

a vote for Floyd.

[IMG]http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/imagespinkfloyd.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/Hampur/Floydstokes.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4244911]Apparently you enjoy the hard warm pressure of a man's penis entering your anal canal.

Not suprised, tbh.

What a coincidence -- just yesterday I called some guy a homo for one of the bands he listened to! Oh wait, no, that was 32 years ago in junior high school. My bad.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4245171]What a coincidence -- just yesterday I called some guy a homo for one of the bands he listened to! Oh wait, no, that was 32 years ago in junior high school. My bad.[/QUOTE]

32 years ago?? so you're more than forty?

Jets Insider VIP

Not suprised, tbh.

LMAO but....

Put a high school garage band in a room and tell them they cant leave until they can play songs off a Steely Dan album or Pink Floyd album??? They will be out in 15 minutes learning Pink Floyd and will grow old trying Steely Dan.